SpursNetwork

Tottenham 0-1 Wigan

Offline Aosoth

• Hero: Gary Mabutt
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Tottenham 0-1 Wigan
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 06:43:32 PM »
I think this is possibly one of our bigger weaknesses....sometimes when a team sits back in 2 rows of 4 and plays very disciplined, we tend to run out of ideas.

That said, we dominated today but yet I wasn't really onvinced....we didn't batter them like we did Man City, we just didn't seem to move the ball with pace.

Also thought that while Kaboul's effort was commendable, often he was running through the areas that Lennon is usually so devastating in....it left Lennon having to come inside or switch flanks.  At least with Charlie there seems to be decent understanding, Lennon and Kaboul just seem to have crossed wires.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 06:46:28 PM »
s**t! f**k! Bloody un-f**king-believable! Nice result against Young Boys and then they go on and lose 0:1 at home to Wigan. f**k, I cannot believe it. Always the same - being complacent against weaker teams.

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »
jeez Aosoth.... are you for real or what ??

Kaboul overlapped Lennon (a good option to have that Corluka lacks) cos in case you didnt notice, we needed as many bodies from midfield and upfront in/near the box as much as possible.... otherwise it would have been about 2 vs 8 + keeper.... Lennon doesnt have to ALWAYS hug the touchline the way opponents know will happen if the slow to recover to position Corluka plays at RB... it makes it easier to defend when you KNOW thats what Lennon's gonna do...

Kaboul AT TIMES overlapping Lennon will be a strong feature of our game this season... bank on it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 07:50:56 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline Colspur66

• Hero: Glen Hoddle
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 08:15:02 PM »
Lets get a few things straight.

1) This was nothing like Stoke last season. We battered Stoke and they scored with their only attempt at goal. We didnt do that today and Wigan today could have scored 3 or 4.

2) We may have had 16 corners and most possesion but it means absolutely nothing if you don't do anything with that possession. Havent seen stats for attempts at goal but I can't remember too many that got me jumping out of my seat.

3) We most certainly werent unlucky. WE WERE AWFUL from the first minute to the last.

4) Wigan came to defend and waste time and stop us playing but in truth had better chances to score than we did. They missed two sitters in the few minutes before they scored.

5) Lets hope we don't have too many days like this after champs league games or we have no chance of getting in to the champs league next year!!!!

6) Not one player played well today. We had no pace no direction and out passing at times was woefull.

Offline Aosoth

• Hero: Gary Mabutt
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 08:16:14 PM »
Oh sod off Gareth, I've had my fill of your argumentative crap.  Biggs, Puchi, anyone in fact...is there an ignore poster option here somewhere?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 11:59:11 PM »
1) they had 2 chances late in the 2nd half, 1 of which ended as a goal.... this was when we lost our discipline and went too gung-ho on the leftside.... both occasions our LEFTBACK Bale was almost in line with our strikers and their backline, when Wigan got possession and shifted the ball swiftly to the huge gaping hole left by Bale.... Kranjcar too should have been nearer Bale in support, but was almost in the centre-forward position...

2 chances in 3 minutes of play late in the 2nd half...

2) what you wouldnt have seen in your little highlights reel was us winning 16 corners... SIXTEEN.... and no team does that without dominating a game (albeit it for only 92mins rather than 95mins)....

Wigan played well and I'm pleased for Martinez the coach, as hes a decent guy who tries to play the game the right way.... in contrast to cloggers like Allardyce, Pulis and Mcarthy.... we helped them out.. and what you dont realise is how much they helped US out with this result...

just watch Levy go the extra mile by Wednesday, to get a forward that knows how to pt the ball in the back of the net.... perhaps its time to re-consider Carlton Cole (if Fabiano isnt coming)...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:15:41 AM by Gareth Keown »

Offline THWH90

• In With The ITKs
    • http://www.spursnetwork.com
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 02:49:53 AM »
Lets get a few things straight.

1) This was nothing like Stoke last season. We battered Stoke and they scored with their only attempt at goal. We didnt do that today and Wigan today could have scored 3 or 4.

2) We may have had 16 corners and most possesion but it means absolutely nothing if you don't do anything with that possession. Havent seen stats for attempts at goal but I can't remember too many that got me jumping out of my seat.

3) We most certainly werent unlucky. WE WERE AWFUL from the first minute to the last.

4) Wigan came to defend and waste time and stop us playing but in truth had better chances to score than we did. They missed two sitters in the few minutes before they scored.

5) Lets hope we don't have too many days like this after champs league games or we have no chance of getting in to the champs league next year!!!!

6) Not one player played well today. We had no pace no direction and out passing at times was woefull.

Was at the game and completely agree with that, although what I would say is Harry made the wrong team selection, played the same XI from Young Boys.

Don't know why the hell he played Kaboul today and not v Stoke... Kranj made a good impact and I felt he should have started. Palacios should get dropped when Modders comes back, he doesn't look great atm, very sloppy in possesion.

Cudicini made a mistake but it was good to see him go get it from the celebrating Wigan players. Im not so convinced about Daws any more, Gallas could well have been a great signing!
Get Moussa Sissoko In Spurs!!!!

And come on City, break that bloomin' top 4!

Offline Dom07Tottenham

• Hero: Gareth Bale
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 05:11:18 AM »

I was very surprised with King's extremely sloppy loose defending on Rodalega, we seemed so calm, and un-phased at the back with no urgency, despite them almost catching us on the break several times within 10 minutes, and Calamity Cudicini OMG, that sort of goalkeeping error creeps into his game every now and then, Pletikosa was on the bench next to Modders, I would be surprised if he doesn't get a chance soon before Gomes returns. BAE was rightly substituted in the first half, he is very solid most of the time, but like Palacios has moments were he can be a liability, Dawson was solid along with Kaboul, who showed even when given no room can put in a good cross, very good competition for Corluka, who strictly plays the ball on the ground not having the same crossing ability.
In the middle Playing Hudd and Palacios toegther is better defensively but our creativity going forward suffers, outside of him our only options on the bench were Krancjar and Jenas, Krancjar looked great, and dangerous as always. Palacios still gives the ball away too often, and I can't see him penetrating the defence, taking on a few defenders, and smashing a screamer in to the back of the net, even Jenas has more ability in this department, Krancjar has markedly more talent in that area, but not the same defensive capabilities, Palacios is strictly a defensive holding mid, I can't wait for the return of Modric who despite his tiny frame still gets in and makes good tackles, but is our most creativity mid, in front of Hudd, who is Mr fantastic if only we could clone him, any word on Modder's return?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:17:21 AM by Dom07Tottenham »

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »
Modders next to Hudd will be very fragile.... they can look great WITH the ball but can be a huge liability when they dont have it as they can easily be out-maneuvered  and not be in the right position to intecept the ball.... something alot of fans always miss, prefering to wax lyrical about their 'great skill' instead..

Agree that Jenas should be in the team, but I think Palacios is now getting alot of undue flak... as the recognised scapegoats are no longer regularly in the team.... I seem to remember the fans thinking he was Mr Fantastic for last 2 seasons, and now hes the new Gardner... fickle is the word..

for the guy who asked why Kaboul played yesterday and not at Stoke.... he did play against Stoke too at leftside CB... and did a good job.. he also, as 1-2 have started to notice finally.... rather good at hitting great crosses, overlapping the RM when needed and then has te pace to recover to the RB slot with ease.... something Corluka chronically lacks... hope Kaboul stays at RB now that Gallas is here to play/cover rightside CB...

Pletikosa will be a shoe-in to sign now, after that atrocious display by the now patently-aged Cuducini...

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 11:37:38 AM »
Anyone have an idea when sandro can play alongside hudd.

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 01:19:54 PM »
Anyone have an idea when sandro can play alongside hudd.

Hopefully next weekend vs West Brom - Somehwere we have struggled in the past....

(Doubt Sandro will be in the squad though) Probably needs resting as his season has just finished.. maybe available end of Sept at a guess??
COYS!

Offline Colspur66

• Hero: Glen Hoddle
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 03:32:55 PM »
1) they had 2 chances late in the 2nd half, 1 of which ended as a goal.... this was when we lost our discipline and went too gung-ho on the leftside.... both occasions our LEFTBACK Bale was almost in line with our strikers and their backline, when Wigan got possession and shifted the ball swiftly to the huge gaping hole left by Bale.... Kranjcar too should have been nearer Bale in support, but was almost in the centre-forward position...

2 chances in 3 minutes of play late in the 2nd half...

2) what you wouldnt have seen in your little highlights reel was us winning 16 corners... SIXTEEN.... and no team does that without dominating a game (albeit it for only 92mins rather than 95mins)....

Wigan played well and I'm pleased for Martinez the coach, as hes a decent guy who tries to play the game the right way.... in contrast to cloggers like Allardyce, Pulis and Mcarthy.... we helped them out.. and what you dont realise is how much they helped US out with this result...

just watch Levy go the extra mile by Wednesday, to get a forward that knows how to pt the ball in the back of the net.... perhaps its time to re-consider Carlton Cole (if Fabiano isnt coming)...

Wigan actually missed 2 absolute sitters in the couple of minutes before the goal. They also hit the bar early in the first half.
I base my opinions on what I saw live from my seat in the upper tier of the Paxton road stand, not the highlights. I saw the whole 98 minutes. 3 minutes added first half, 5 minutes added second half. As I said before amount of possesion can give a false indication of play. Wigan were quite happy to let us have the ball and pass it across the pitch from side to side. We only created a couple of clear cut chances and to be honest we could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored. 16 corners, the majority of them were won from crosses being blocked well away from the danger area not by saves from the goalkeeper or last ditch clearances. I can only recall 3 reasonable saves that the keeper made. 1 from Defoe in the first half, 1 from Kranjcar  and 1 from Dawson late on. Admittedly those 3 saves resulted in corners.
Totally agree that this result may be more useful to us than we imagine. Yes we've dropped points but it should be a valuable lesson to us and may change the way we approach these types of games.

Levy is far to shrewd now to panic buy and pay ridiculous money for players. Carlton Cole.........do me a favour your having a laugh.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 05:01:36 PM »
dear boy Carlton is much-maligned... he's a decent targetman with pace, which is primarily what we need... he can score goals too when he plays for a decent team, many coaches regard him highly and they know what a makes a good striker....lools like Liverpool may be in in for him anywayz..

Wigan played well for Wigan, but we also had a few chances to score but didnt, and their GK played v.well... we should bid for him as he could be a decent deputy for Gomes...seen him play well before too..

a draw wold have been the fairest result.... but glad Wigan are the ones to benefit from our home-form blip..

PS - Citeh just lost at Sunderland (nice one Benty) so we havent lost ground this weekend at all really.... forget Liverpool and their win, they wont last the pace with such a weak squad.... any Torres injury and theyre a mid-table team..
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:07:12 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline SomersetYiddo

• Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 02:46:10 PM »
Just got back from a weekend down in London (a VERY expensive one at that aswell) worst game i have seen down The Lane in a while, im not going to start pointing out individuals because you all know how poor each one was, but i mean as soon as it got to around 75-80 minutes just before the goal i had a bad feeling Wign would pull off a smash & grab job like Stoke last year. Wigan defended well but didnt really deserve the win maybe a point though. Thank You Spurs for another crap performance, on the way back i was talking to a group of Irish Spurs fans who had travelled from Dublin, they deserved so much better than that. We have now hours ticking down until the window shuts and if we dont sign anyone in this pivotal transfer window im going to be pissed right off, and i have a feeling that we wont sign a soul.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 04:08:12 PM »
Just got back from a weekend down in London (a VERY expensive one at that aswell) worst game i have seen down The Lane in a while, im not going to start pointing out individuals because you all know how poor each one was, but i mean as soon as it got to around 75-80 minutes just before the goal i had a bad feeling Wign would pull off a smash & grab job like Stoke last year. Wigan defended well but didnt really deserve the win maybe a point though. Thank You Spurs for another crap performance, on the way back i was talking to a group of Irish Spurs fans who had travelled from Dublin, they deserved so much better than that. We have now hours ticking down until the window shuts and if we dont sign anyone in this pivotal transfer window im going to be pissed right off, and i have a feeling that we wont sign a soul.

you know its 'fans' like you that are the silver-lining for me when we lose...

worst match youve seen ??.... players were terrible ??.... thats a crap assessment, you seem to know f.a. about football...

all the chances Wigan had in the 2nd half were down to Bale not realising the Kranjcar had pushed on into the pen-box to support the strikers..... Bale needs to realise that when that happens he CANNOT AFFORD to be so feckin airi-fairy in his decision-making and be more realistic and not push on so far up the line as to be nearly level with their back4...

each time this happened there were acres of space leftside and a Championship team cudda driven a coach and horses thru it.... Wigan eventually managed to get it right by converting when in the the ball was used by their player well from our LB space....

apart from that, the team played pretty well up til when they scored and we got desperate with just 10mins left and started just to lob balls into the pen-box.... even then we cudda scored at the end when Kaboul had a good chance with a header..

we have played worst for the 1st 80mins of games and won matches regularly.... dont confuse the frustrating result with the majority of the performance..