SpursNetwork

Departures/Rumours thread

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Departures/Rumours thread
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2014, 11:27:57 AM »
I really dont understand this, we have a very good striker and are selling him?, how are they going to replace him without spending 40/50m?. its no good bringing in a young prospect and pressurizing him to come up trumps, we need a real deal all complete experienced striker, I am starting to worry which direction this club is going, we cant just rip a team apart and fill it with near all new players and expect to come out smelling of roses. selling Defoe is a big mistake. :'(
I think so too. Defoe can be frustrating to watch at times, but so are Soldado (even more, tbh) and Adebayor. And to ask young Harry Kane to carry the club on his shoulders is simply unthinkable. Also, I cannot see us signing a striker who would come in and set the Lane alight right away.
When played in a right formation, Defoe is still one of the best strikers in the league.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »
I've read that Defoe has signed up to this team, but will be loaned back to Spurs until March or May.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2014, 08:08:41 PM »
I've read that Defoe has signed up to this team, but will be loaned back to Spurs until March or May.
   ... This will only e till end of Feb so what we supposed to do if we lose Ade or Soldado in the final run in?, they should have let him go at the end of the season, I only hope there isba world class player on the radar hidden away somewhere!
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2014, 08:58:02 PM »
   ... This will only e till end of Feb so what we supposed to do if we lose Ade or Soldado in the final run in?, they should have let him go at the end of the season, I only hope there isba world class player on the radar hidden away somewhere!

Good point. Let us hope they get another striker or they could use the youngsters. Sherwood wants to give them a chance.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2014, 07:20:09 AM »
I really dont understand this, we have a very good striker and are selling him?, how are they going to replace him without spending 40/50m?. its no good bringing in a young prospect and pressurizing him to come up trumps, we need a real deal all complete experienced striker, I am starting to worry which direction this club is going, we cant just rip a team apart and fill it with near all new players and expect to come out smelling of roses. selling Defoe is a big mistake. :'(
I think so too. Defoe can be frustrating to watch at times, but so are Soldado (even more, tbh) and Adebayor. And to ask young Harry Kane to carry the club on his shoulders is simply unthinkable. Also, I cannot see us signing a striker who would come in and set the Lane alight right away.
When played in a right formation, Defoe is still one of the best strikers in the league.

Good point. Let us hope they get another striker or they could use the youngsters. Sherwood wants to give them a chance.

I think I must be dreaming, many of the people now pleading Defoe's case were not long ago saying on this very site that he should be sold and replaced as he is no longer up to the job of striker in the PL, for goodness sake make up your minds, personally I think he is well past his best and should be replaced, we have to offload some players to free up some cash for new players, we cannot have it both ways.

:nods: :nods: :nods: :nods:
:SN:[font

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2014, 07:46:30 AM »
Reportedly Defoe will be unveiled as Toronto FC player early next week. He would be loaned back to us until March, though. To be honest, I'm not sure how playing for Toronto would get him into the World Cup squad.

I would think it must be a move that he has pushed for. Quite frankly, over the last year or so his goalscoring has fallen off alarmingly, and he dosen't bring much else to the team, unlike Soldado for instance.
Either way, the deal is done, and lets hope we bring in a striker soon.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2014, 08:17:20 AM »

I think I must be dreaming, many of the people now pleading Defoe's case were not long ago saying on this very site that he should be sold and replaced as he is no longer up to the job of striker in the PL, for goodness sake make up your minds, personally I think he is well past his best and should be replaced, we have to offload some players to free up some cash for new players, we cannot have it both ways.

I wouldn't have had a problem in the Summer, but I do have a problem now. January transfer windows are usually for panic-buys to cover a position or two that lacks depth and strength. Selling an experienced player in January without adequate back-up does not seem a sensinble move to me. Unless the club plans to bring in Rooney or someone else who would score loads of goals and wouldn't need a bloody full season to adapt to English Premier League.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2014, 12:43:52 PM »

I have, in the past, said, that he has gone past his sell by date. But whatever he has done for Spurs it is time for both sides to move on. We do now need back up strikers.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2014, 12:45:25 PM »

I wouldn't have had a problem in the Summer, but I do have a problem now. January transfer windows are usually for panic-buys to cover a position or two that lacks depth and strength. Selling an experienced player in January without adequate back-up does not seem a sensinble move to me. Unless the club plans to bring in Rooney or someone else who would score loads of goals and wouldn't need a bloody full season to adapt to English Premier League.

I am hoping that they do buy somebody in the January window sale.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
  • Hero: Atiba Hutchinson/Jermain Defoe/Harry Kane
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »

I don't like this. Not one bit. I mean come on, even if they sold him to flippin' Whitecaps where I might actually be able to catch him live, I wouldn't be happy, because he should still be with Spurs.

Agreed with both Riff and BJ. This move is stupid for Defoe and for Spurs.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!
Proudly Canadian, Proudly A Spurs Fan

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2014, 07:57:03 PM »
I`m sorry to see him go .He may be past his best but he`s still dangerous and he`s been a loyal , hardworking servant . He`s never moaned when he hasn`t been playing and he`s always given his best .Compare that to adeybayore !!!
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2014, 08:28:12 AM »
Past his best, not a first team starter anymore but still a good option to bring on if required. 

He has gone and will get a decent pay day.

I just hope that the powers that be make a decision based on footballing and the wider business reasons and bring in an experienced replacement and not rely on youth which in my opinion would be a short term business only based decision and a very bad one at that which shows zero ambition for this season!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Blackjack

« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2014, 09:41:41 PM »

I don't like this. Not one bit. I mean come on, even if they sold him to flippin' Whitecaps where I might actually be able to catch him live, I wouldn't be happy, because he should still be with Spurs.

Today Defoe comes of the bench to score the decisive 2nd goal and gave Palace back four a terrible last 20mins, he looked super sharp and a class act that we all no he is!, I never said sell Defoe and never would, he would be in my first 11 every game if fit, it baffles me why (before Sherwoods rein) all the other managers kept benching him as everybody knows he will score sometime and when one goes in with him several then follow, he is a proven 20+ goal scorer who has scored 7 goals in 5 games in the cup., the only reason he doesnt have many league goals is because he is never on the pitch consistently for 90mins or every game.
SPURS TILL I DIE

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2014, 08:51:31 AM »

Today Defoe comes of the bench to score the decisive 2nd goal and gave Palace back four a terrible last 20mins, he looked super sharp and a class act that we all no he is!, I never said sell Defoe and never would, he would be in my first 11 every game if fit, it baffles me why (before Sherwoods rein) all the other managers kept benching him as everybody knows he will score sometime and when one goes in with him several then follow, he is a proven 20+ goal scorer who has scored 7 goals in 5 games in the cup., the only reason he doesnt have many league goals is because he is never on the pitch consistently for 90mins or every game.

This is the FIRST PL Game this season that Defoe has done anything, OK he scored, how many times this season when he has come on as Sub in PL games has he been ineffective, I'll tell you, before Sat, EVERY TIME. Sorry I completely disagree with you.

ONE SWALLOW DOES NOT A SUMMER MAKE

Or in this case a season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:nope: :nope: :nope:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:53:32 AM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline Blackjack

« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2014, 11:54:55 AM »

This is the FIRST PL Game this season that Defoe has done anything, OK he scored, how many times this season when he has come on as Sub in PL games has he been ineffective, I'll tell you, before Sat, EVERY TIME. Sorry I completely disagree with you.

ONE SWALLOW DOES NOT A SUMMER MAKE

Or in this case a season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:nope: :nope: :nope:

He has to start end of, we persisted with Soldado on his own and it never worked, we relied on too many penalties, he never got support from a cramped center midfield, Defoe never got a proper chance, you cant expect any player to keep saving a team as a sub, there has only been one player in the premier league I can think of that could do that regular and he is now the manager of a Cardiff.
Defoe has score 148 goals for Spurs, lg, cups, and broke our own top european goal scoring record so yes he deserves respect from Spurs fans, he is not at fault for a stupid manager before, he is on the bench now because Tim tried a new strike pairing and it is working so till one of those gets injured or suspended thats where he will stay, If its not broken dont fix it!.
SPURS TILL I DIE