SpursNetwork

Arrivals/Rumours thread

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Arrivals/Rumours thread
« Reply #315 on: July 10, 2013, 07:36:51 AM »
     It would appear that the going rate for a decent striker is 25 mill, so if Levy is serious that is what he will have to pay in order to get one!!!!!

:up: :up: :up:
:SN:[font

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2013, 07:44:40 AM »
     It would appear that the going rate for a decent striker is 25 mill, so if Levy is serious that is what he will have to pay in order to get one!!!!!

Yes PF that would appear to be the problem. There are not enough top quality strikers to go around. Benteke has had 1 decent season in a very average side, so who knows if he's worth 25 million, its a massive gamble thats for sure.

As we dont appear to be getting some of our more illustrious targets, such as Damiao and Soldado, then we will have to take that risk, and maybe offload Adebayor at the same time. Unless another striker comes up as well as Benteke then we must surely keep Defoe.

None of this is ideal, but what else can we realistically do ?

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2013, 03:08:07 PM »

According to the papers we are favourites to get the Aston Villa striker but not at the price Villa are asking for. The papers reckon that Levy will have to some hard negotiating to get him at a lower price. Which could gone on after the start of the season.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #318 on: July 11, 2013, 12:56:56 AM »
I would rather see Levy pay 25 mill and get a proven striker like Soldado or Damiao, and keep Defoe and Adebayor, than pay 25 mill for Benteke who to my mind isn't a proven consistent striker yet. The problem will be of course is if he off-loads either Ade or Defoe before he buys a striker then we will be in the s**tE again, but surely even Levy wouldn't be that stupid, or would he?

:nope: :nope:
:SN:[font

Offline RSS61

« Reply #319 on: July 11, 2013, 07:26:49 AM »
I would rather see Levy pay 25 mill and get a proven striker like Soldado or Damiao, and keep Defoe and Adebayor, than pay 25 mill for Benteke who to my mind isn't a proven consistent striker yet. The problem will be of course is if he off-loads either Ade or Defoe before he buys a striker then we will be in the s**tE again, but surely even Levy wouldn't be that stupid, or would he?

Yes agreed. For some reason nothing seems to be doing with Soldado or Damiao. But we are not the only club who seem unable to get the strikers they want.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #320 on: July 11, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »
25mill for Benteke is a bit much, he apparently wants to join us instead of Chelsea but Levy is driving a hard bargain apparently offering cash and a choice of either BAE, Parker, Livermore or THUDD my only hope is the striker issue gets wrapped up before the start of the season or we will once again be right in it regarding the striker situation!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #321 on: July 11, 2013, 04:58:38 PM »

I've just read that Defoe and/ or Adebayor are not under pressure to leave Spurs. But I agree with you about spending that sort of money on a better and well proven forward. However, if Spurs do get him Levy won't pay anything near £25 million.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #322 on: July 17, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »
The more I read reports about Benteke and his behaviour (not willing to report back to Aston Villa), the less I want to see this mercenary brat here at WHL.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #323 on: July 17, 2013, 12:35:12 PM »
The more I read reports about Benteke and his behaviour (not willing to report back to Aston Villa), the less I want to see this mercenary brat here at WHL.

Indeed, another Adebayor ?  Also, how come just 12 months ago he was worth just 7 million and 20K a week, and not one other top club had him on their radar ? Fishy. And whats more, is anuone else after him now ?  Are we even actually after him ?

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #324 on: July 17, 2013, 01:34:24 PM »

Indeed, another Adebayor ?  Also, how come just 12 months ago he was worth just 7 million and 20K a week, and not one other top club had him on their radar ? Fishy. And whats more, is anuone else after him now ?  Are we even actually after him ?
That is what effect one season in a weak Aston Villa (34 games and 19 goals) is having on player's valuation. Ridiculous.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #325 on: July 17, 2013, 05:01:36 PM »

Isn't it a case of all the talented players being temperamental? Just look at Gaz, Best etc. Maybe that is a good sign.

As for "mercenary"; aren't they all? Going to the highest bidder? 
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #326 on: July 17, 2013, 05:02:53 PM »

The is the trouble with modern football. One minute they are worth a fortunate the next "who"?
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #327 on: July 17, 2013, 05:22:14 PM »

Because that is what happens. Is Michu still worth £2 million? Of course not. I am not saying he is worth 25 million and I do not know what teams would be in for him at that price. I am sure if he was available for 10 million there would be a long list. I guess it just depends on what AVB & co think of him and to what value they place on him. If he came here and scored 20+ goals I would say he is worth it.

But what I would like to see from the player is a statement saying, he would like to move to a team that is going to challenge for things but if Aston Villa do not get the valuation they require he will continue to give 100% to them. That way he can still get the move and would create a better relationship with the fans.
Maybe next year...

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #328 on: July 17, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »
If he strikes or goes AWOL I dont want to see him in our club colours for any price!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #329 on: July 17, 2013, 07:43:19 PM »
If he strikes or goes AWOL I dont want to see him in our club colours for any price!
Funnily enough if he does do that we might get him quicker. Anyway, the point is if he does come and helps us then all will be forgiven. If on the other hand he is useless he will be criticised.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do