SpursNetwork

2 years wasted!

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: 2 years wasted!
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 07:52:08 AM »
Every year is the same. It sounds like Del Boy: "Next year we'll be millionaires"!!

:tickedoff:

I can't see it changing until we get a new stadium.

The answer to all our problems, nothing to do with the hierarchy, its the Stadium that's the problem, get a new stadium and we will win the league.
               ARE YOU SERIOUS

:o :o :o :o :o

Actually what I said was tongue in cheek. However, the reason I made the comment was because I read an article by a Tottenham official that said once we can get a new stadium up and running we then can compete – financially – with the likes of United, Chelsea, City etc. In fact I wrote an article myself on the subject matter awhile back. I’ve also read this on a number of other occasions. That seems to be the thinking behind the scenes. And it seems to be supported by a number of journalists. What I can tell you is that we are not competing with the likes of those that I had mentioned at the moment. In fact we seem to be going backwards. Whether that is the fault of Levy, AVB, Sherwood or whoever, something needs to happen.
Well Ars*nal's problems seemed to start with their new stadium !!!
If that is the case then all I can say is “can we have some of those problems as well?” They’ve been constantly in the top 4 spot before and after the new stadium. They won or competed in all competitions. So; even though I started off by saying something that was tongue in cheek; you’ve shown us that maybe it shouldn’t have be tongue cheek.
They bought one player wisely this season (for £40 odd million). We spent £1001 million; which one of us was the wisest? Which one of us two will be playing European Championship football next season? Which one of us two could win the FA cup this season?

It seems were all nit picking now. Either way as the original post implied, we have definitely wasted 2 years, and if we wait for the stadium to be built we will probably waste another 10

I agree that we’ve wasted a lot of time and something needs to be done about it.
As for the stadium; whether it helps us now or in the future it will be built. So far a lot of money has been invested in the Tottenham area and part of that investment includes a 55,000 seated stadium. What is for sure is that we need the big investment that a larger capacity stadium can bring ups otherwise we will always be just floating under the top 4.

Put that way Voice, I'm in agreement with you. We do need the stadium. Its just the frustration of years of really bad decisions thats so hard to take, and a new stadium wont guarantee that the new player selection will improve.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 04:43:04 PM »
Every year is the same. It sounds like Del Boy: "Next year we'll be millionaires"!!

:tickedoff:

I can't see it changing until we get a new stadium.

The answer to all our problems, nothing to do with the hierarchy, its the Stadium that's the problem, get a new stadium and we will win the league.
               ARE YOU SERIOUS

:o :o :o :o :o

Actually what I said was tongue in cheek. However, the reason I made the comment was because I read an article by a Tottenham official that said once we can get a new stadium up and running we then can compete – financially – with the likes of United, Chelsea, City etc. In fact I wrote an article myself on the subject matter awhile back. I’ve also read this on a number of other occasions. That seems to be the thinking behind the scenes. And it seems to be supported by a number of journalists. What I can tell you is that we are not competing with the likes of those that I had mentioned at the moment. In fact we seem to be going backwards. Whether that is the fault of Levy, AVB, Sherwood or whoever, something needs to happen.
Well Ars*nal's problems seemed to start with their new stadium !!!
If that is the case then all I can say is “can we have some of those problems as well?” They’ve been constantly in the top 4 spot before and after the new stadium. They won or competed in all competitions. So; even though I started off by saying something that was tongue in cheek; you’ve shown us that maybe it shouldn’t have be tongue cheek.
They bought one player wisely this season (for £40 odd million). We spent £1001 million; which one of us was the wisest? Which one of us two will be playing European Championship football next season? Which one of us two could win the FA cup this season?

It seems were all nit picking now. Either way as the original post implied, we have definitely wasted 2 years, and if we wait for the stadium to be built we will probably waste another 10

I agree that we’ve wasted a lot of time and something needs to be done about it.
As for the stadium; whether it helps us now or in the future it will be built. So far a lot of money has been invested in the Tottenham area and part of that investment includes a 55,000 seated stadium. What is for sure is that we need the big investment that a larger capacity stadium can bring ups otherwise we will always be just floating under the top 4.

Put that way Voice, I'm in agreement with you. We do need the stadium. Its just the frustration of years of really bad decisions thats so hard to take, and a new stadium wont guarantee that the new player selection will improve.

That is true. But somewhere along the line somebody must realise that the way they've been handling things is damaging the club. Let us hope that they sort out the managerial problems by next season (that comment sounds familiar though :'()
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline toadlad

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 08:45:48 PM »
It's clear Levy wanted to replace Harry. In Avb's first season he had to deal with replacing King, Rafa and Modric. Jan did a good job last year, Dembele is a good and unique player but no playmaker. If we had signed Moutinho, and maybe it was just a smokescreen, we could have got 4th. Bale stepped into Rafa's role behind the striker and the rest is history, with Dempsey replacing him as a non creative but scores the odd goal winger. Now this season Bale was the huge hole to fill, our top goalscorer, and still the problem of no playmaker, made worse by selling Hudd. Plus the need to replace Dempsey but that shouldn't have been difficult! So below is the list of transfers from Avb's team that finished a point off 4th, to this season.

Bale - Soldado and Lamela. Even combined they haven't replaced half of his goals!
Dempsey - Eriksen and Chadli. Eriksen maybe our best signing but unsure of best role still. Chadli has been worst signing for me
Caulker - Chiriches. Considering Kaboul's history, it was bad management to let him leave. Vlad has been ok
Gallas - Fryers. Needed experienced cover as mentioned above
Hudd - Capoue. Started well but not the playmaker we need
Parker - Paulinho. As above
Ekotto - Rose. Every spurs fan wanted a proper left back. Coentreao should have been loaned at least as part of Bale deal. If not then a proper left back still!

So Bales goals are what we missed. Hence Benteke had to be a priority signing, even if he's struggled a bit this year in a poor team to be fair. Plus Remy could have been thrown in as we sent a few players to QPR.

36 million spent on Benteke and Eriksen, with Remy and Coentreao on loans. If this season had gone wrong, which is did anyway, we would have £55, million in the transfer kitty still!
Smiler

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 09:25:01 PM »
It's clear Levy wanted to replace Harry. In Avb's first season he had to deal with replacing King, Rafa and Modric. Jan did a good job last year, Dembele is a good and unique player but no playmaker. If we had signed Moutinho, and maybe it was just a smokescreen, we could have got 4th. Bale stepped into Rafa's role behind the striker and the rest is history, with Dempsey replacing him as a non creative but scores the odd goal winger. Now this season Bale was the huge hole to fill, our top goalscorer, and still the problem of no playmaker, made worse by selling Hudd. Plus the need to replace Dempsey but that shouldn't have been difficult! So below is the list of transfers from Avb's team that finished a point off 4th, to this season.

Bale - Soldado and Lamela. Even combined they haven't replaced half of his goals!
Dempsey - Eriksen and Chadli. Eriksen maybe our best signing but unsure of best role still. Chadli has been worst signing for me
Caulker - Chiriches. Considering Kaboul's history, it was bad management to let him leave. Vlad has been ok
Ekotto - Rose. Every spurs fan wanted a proper left back. Coentreao should have been loaned at least as part of Bale deal. If not then a proper left back still!

So Bales goals are what we missed. Hence Benteke had to be a priority signing, even if he's struggled a bit this year in a poor team to be fair. Plus Remy could have been thrown in as we sent a few players to QPR.

36 million spent on Benteke and Eriksen, with Remy and Coentreao on loans. If this season had gone wrong, which is did anyway, we would have £55, million in the transfer kitty still!

Interresting look on it, I like this budm you have pointed out clearly what's missing, my only problem is who out there is affordable and willing to come to Spurs?.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline toadlad

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 09:48:46 PM »
I think Levy has to back the new manager with more money, but for maybe just 3 key signings, a left back, playmaker and a striker. I fear united will beat us to any worthwhile targets this summer. Which means Louis Van Gaal or another top manager is the priority signing, as they will attract good players at least. I'm also very much hoping that our 7 signings improve dramatically next year, as huge change has proved a mistake. So a decent manager will get the best out of them with the right coaching and proper tactics!
Smiler

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 01:49:47 AM »
I think Levy has to back the new manager with more money, but for maybe just 3 key signings, a left back, playmaker and a striker. I fear united will beat us to any worthwhile targets this summer. Which means Louis Van Gaal or another top manager is the priority signing, as they will attract good players at least. I'm also very much hoping that our 7 signings improve dramatically next year, as huge change has proved a mistake. So a decent manager will get the best out of them with the right coaching and proper tactics!

I think we can add centre back to the shopping list as well. :nods: :nods:
:SN:[font

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 05:46:58 AM »

I think we can add centre back to the shopping list as well. :nods: :nods:

I can't believe we are still asking for the same positions to be filled.

I would say that we need in the long term - 1 striker, 1 Playmaker, 1 LB, 1 CB and 1 Left winger.

However, I think we should limit ourselves to filling only 2 or 3 of these positions, but to fill them well. So that we don't repeat this year. We need to look at our squad and decide which of the players we have or  signed this year which we think has the potential to raise their game next season and which positions do we think we simply must sort out if we can only choose 3?

Maybe next year...

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 06:50:08 AM »

Fair point, I fear we will be in a position perhaps whereby sales have to take place before a quantity of new signings although Levy apparently made funds available in Jan or is that just PR talk?

As we all know you cant replace 3/4 of a team and expect to be top drawer straight away, additions are needed and unfortunately they are in positions you have rifghtly highlighted and been needed for more than just this season, dam we have never really replaced Modric have we!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 08:02:35 PM »
It is doubtful that Levy will splash out more money and 3 signings will not happen. At most we may sign 2 if we can offload 2 to balance the books and if we sign a new manager. I will agree that we need a big name in that role to bring respect from the players which may be lacking atm with Sherwood and also to  attract one or 2 bigger players.

It would be good if at least 3 or 4 of our last summer signings showed the class we all expected from them.

Defo 2 years wasted on the existing 20 or 30 previous wasted years. So what's new :tickedoff:

Offline RSS61

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »

Very good assessment of where we have gone wrong IMO. Bale was our major asset and we should not have let him go without something in return, and as you say Benteke / Remy could not have been worse than Soldado. The important point being, we would still have 55 mill to spend this summer.

Offline toadlad

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »
I'm still pissed off that we made so many changes, I know it's been and gone, but the only players deffo leaving were Bale and Dempsey, who could have been replaced with Remy and Eriksen, then after sitting on the Bale money for a year, made shrewd signings this summer! I would like to see what else Baldini has done to earn his wage other than signing mostly flops!!
Smiler

Offline RSS61

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 09:47:10 AM »
I'm still pissed off that we made so many changes, I know it's been and gone, but the only players deffo leaving were Bale and Dempsey, who could have been replaced with Remy and Eriksen, then after sitting on the Bale money for a year, made shrewd signings this summer! I would like to see what else Baldini has done to earn his wage other than signing mostly flops!!

As your post rightly states, we have wasted 2 years. Nothing can undo that, what is vitally important is that Levy learns from his mistakes, if that is possible, and either sticks with Tim for another season, but gives him the players he wants, or brings in the right manager, and gives him the players he wants.

Otherwise we will waste another 2 years, or even worse.

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 02:38:13 PM »
The thing is Bale was going, , he wanted to leave and so there was no point in keeping a player who no longer had100% for the club, the time was right to get a very good price for him so the deal was a good one for the club. The problem is we never replaced like for like!,I know we ould not get another Bale  but there are quality left wingers out thete if you really look for them'!,just look at MU who have found Janezai!, what Spurs tried to do was change the way we play which is fine if you have the quality players suited to the new formation,AVB,wanted a lone striker and a flooded midfield with a high back line, his theory being win the ball high up the pitch so we have many players forward to be destructive to the opposition!, for this to work you need a Fabregas, Wilsher, Silva,Lampard,Gerrard in the centet who are comfortable on the ball in close quauters with out and out pacey wingers who get the ball to tje byline and whip quality crosses in the box, the midfield make runs forward to back up the  striker. This does work but not with Dembele Sandro, Bentaleb, Capoue!, these are more defence brawn players and not known for fancy flicks and turning players inside out!, Lennon on th wing is passed his best and spends more time everywhere but on the wing!, Townsend is not getting enough game time, Soldado is starved of service and so coming out of position looking to get ivolved in the game.
The defence is highly exposed playing so high up the pitch, the players are not quick enough for defenders, are not composed on the ball enough for defenders, they do not talk to each other or act as a unit!, unfortunatly Spurs seem to think O I'll just put a big man in there and everything will be fine lol, nothing cn be furthet from the truth!.
No team can be truely great with these morals!, the playing areas must be addressed with quality not potentials!, get the quality first then nurture  the prospects
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2014, 08:07:10 AM »
The thing is Bale was going, , he wanted to leave and so there was no point in keeping a player who no longer had100% for the club, the time was right to get a very good price for him so the deal was a good one for the club. The problem is we never replaced like for like!,I know we ould not get another Bale  but there are quality left wingers out thete if you really look for them'!,just look at MU who have found Janezai!, what Spurs tried to do was change the way we play which is fine if you have the quality players suited to the new formation,AVB,wanted a lone striker and a flooded midfield with a high back line, his theory being win the ball high up the pitch so we have many players forward to be destructive to the opposition!, for this to work you need a Fabregas, Wilsher, Silva,Lampard,Gerrard in the centet who are comfortable on the ball in close quauters with out and out pacey wingers who get the ball to tje byline and whip quality crosses in the box, the midfield make runs forward to back up the  striker. This does work but not with Dembele Sandro, Bentaleb, Capoue!, these are more defence brawn players and not known for fancy flicks and turning players inside out!, Lennon on th wing is passed his best and spends more time everywhere but on the wing!, Townsend is not getting enough game time, Soldado is starved of service and so coming out of position looking to get ivolved in the game.
The defence is highly exposed playing so high up the pitch, the players are not quick enough for defenders, are not composed on the ball enough for defenders, they do not talk to each other or act as a unit!, unfortunatly Spurs seem to think O I'll just put a big man in there and everything will be fine lol, nothing cn be furthet from the truth!.
No team can be truely great with these morals!, the playing areas must be addressed with quality not potentials!, get the quality first then nurture  the prospects

Yes you are right. And the place to start is the back 4. Just look at how much better Chelsea's back 4 were against PSG. For example, Ashley Cole, who is better than our left backs put together, cannot even get a sniff these days. We should be buying him for a start. We could and should have had Cahill. How good is he these days ? And JT for that matter, just look how he organises his defence.