SpursNetwork

Starting XI

Offline aspursfan

• Season Ticket: No
Starting XI
« on: April 25, 2011, 01:40:54 AM »
So what does everyone think of Redknapp dropping Lennon for VDV on the right? At first glance it seems foolish because VDV hardly has the pace of Lennon to get forward and back, but we've seem him attack and defend in the last two matches.

I know lots of you have soured a bit to VDV recently, but it's hard to argue that he offers an attacking threat that would concern any team.... Then again so does Lennon. My problem with this is that Lennon has been one of our best performers this season. It reminds me of trying to accommodate Bentley and Lennon when Bentley first arrived and how disastrous that was.

I was initially shocked, but I think Redknapp has the right idea in putting two up front. We seem to play much better with two strikers, but as I said I think Lennon has been one of our best players so I'm not sure how I feel. Perhaps the idea was to go ahead and then bring Lennon on to run them ragged?
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
Re: Starting XI
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 02:45:01 AM »
2 totally different types of players, for me if I was a manager I would be more concerned at the prospect of trying to contain Lennon instead of VdV when playing THFC simply due to his explosive pace.

We are in a position where VdV is playing back to the standard we know he can and Lennon will be even more effective as a sub running at players who have been at it for 60 mins. 

Lennon also has improved loads this season, his end product is still poor though and VdV is far ahead in that area with pin point crosses and more effective in that area.

ASF I am in total agreement that we should play with 2 strikers and we should balance the use of VdV and Lennon according to the opposition and our tactics, the big problem IMO is keeping both these quality players happy.

Maybe give Lennon a try up front as he can shot better than he crosses  :up:
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Holtspur

• Hero: Ricky Villa
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 08:09:24 AM »
Last season we played 4-4-2 most of the time and it was good for us. Harry has tinkering with formation to accomodate VDV (who has been outstanding) but I believe this has been another reason for own downfall. VDV can easily be a pure striker to be the Defoe, as he tends to drift in from the wing when is playing in lennons place. Keane has gone, so being the other "little striker" makes sense. Whats the old expression...."if it aint broke........."

Offline Spurs218

• Hero: Zokora
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:36:49 AM »
Lennon > vdv. If we are going to play 4-4-2 then Lennon needs to play, even if that means dropping vdv.
"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

RIP: Sir Bill Nicholson

Offline Holtspur

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:40:07 AM »
Does anyone prefer the 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 to 4-4-2?

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »
4-5-1 when playing a euro team seems to work well, but in the EPL 4-4-2!

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Holtspur

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:41:30 AM »
Yep......agree metal. It worked well last season............too late to change things for this season after City's win last night. But hey ho

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 06:58:45 PM »

Offline MarkyG360

• Hero: Luka Modric
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 04:45:21 PM »
I like to see Rafa Vdv playing off Crouchie, or any front man for that matter, therefore if we were to go 442 we would have him up front therefore Lennon can play on the right hand side. :yids:

Offline Holtspur

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 05:07:19 PM »
Like the pic Marky. Rangers are my family team north of the border!