SpursNetwork

PFA Player and Young Player of the Year Results

Offline Daniisco

• http://spursnetwork.com
« on: April 22, 2007, 10:01:44 PM »
Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo has been named both PFA Player and Young Player of the Year.

The Portuguese winger was widely expected to take the main award and his remarkable season continued as he scooped both awards on Sunday evening at the Grosvenor House Hotel.

Ronaldo becomes only the second player in history to achieve the remarkable feat, the other being Sky Sports' own Andy Gray - who won both awards some 30 years ago in 1977.

Ronaldo held off competition from Chelsea's Didier Drogba in second and team-mate Paul Scholes - who came third - to take the main award. Steven Gerrard, Ryan Giggs, and Cesc Fabregas were also in the running.

Ronaldo succeeds Gerrard and is the first United player to take the Player of the Year prize since Ruud van Nistelrooy in 2000.

In contrast, it is the third year in succession that a United player has taken the Young Player of the Year award - with team-mate Wayne Rooney winning the honour in 2005 and 2006.

Rooney was up for the award again, but he was beaten by Ronaldo as he also held off competition from Cesc Fabregas (Ars*nal), who came second, and Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur) in third.

Micah Richards (Manchester City) and Kevin Doyle (Reading) were also up for the award.

The 22-year-old was also named in the Premiership Team of the Year - one of eight United players.

I think we all knew this would be the result. he deserves it. Quality player.

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 10:05:45 PM »
This is all just about how famous you are, nothing away from Ronaldo, but how did azza get 3rd?

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 10:08:13 PM »
8 United players in team of the year?

Bo||ocks im afraid. Thats just ****e.

Berba's girl

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 10:14:12 PM »
That's not a great surprise. He has stood out by a long way this season. Much as you love to hate him, he is a very talented player. And annoyingly pretty. And annoyingly plays for Manure. And England fans won't forget that evil wink...

Offline Storts

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 10:47:57 PM »
So, Ronaldo wins them both. Not to my suprise to be honest. He's deserved both for sure..

Pfa young player -
1.) C.Ronaldo 2.) Fabregas) 3.) Lennon

Pfa player -
1.) C.Ronaldo 2.) Drogba 3.) Scholes.

Now, i'd agree with them bar Fabregas.
But what has got me fuming is the PFA team of the season..

Edwin van der Sar, Gary Neville, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Patrice Evra (all Man Utd); Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo (all Man Utd) and Steven Gerrard (Liverpool); Didier Drogba (Chelsea) and Dimitar Berbatov (Tottenham)

How are 8 United players in that. Ferdinand and VDS definately shoulf not be there. Cech has been much better and has more clean sheets in far less games :D

Well done Dimi

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 10:54:13 PM »
I actually bet my friend that Berba would be in there! I dont agree with all the United players though, Evra, Van der Sar and Ferdinand should not be there. Barry, Jaisskelainen/D.James, and Dawson have all been better.

Offline Rob

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 12:12:32 AM »
i know 8 players out of 11 is ridiculous. But don't forget its players vote and not media or fans. So no need to say it is ****ing stupid since i am sure tottenham players voted as well. Jeez leave alone the anti united bias :p :D
I used to think that being lazy was bad for me .......  So I gave up thinking

Offline yidmafioso

• Season Ticket: No
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 12:43:29 AM »
The fact that a diving,buck toothed,spotty,cheating little oik has been named player of the year says a lot about football today dont you think?
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline Rob

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 12:45:03 AM »
Quote from: yidmafioso;5113
The fact that a diving,buck toothed,spotty,cheating little oik has been named player of the year says a lot about football today dont you think?

nope. Once again your england love has over taken you. I just can't think how anyone can deny that Ronaldo has won this award fair and square. I mean the kind of comments you are making, will only make you lose credibility. :unsure_:
I used to think that being lazy was bad for me .......  So I gave up thinking

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 01:15:49 AM »
Quote from: Rob;5114
nope. Once again your england love has over taken you. I just can't think how anyone can deny that Ronaldo has won this award fair and square. I mean the kind of comments you are making, will only make you lose credibility. :unsure_:

I`m not arguing against the mans quality at all.It just needles me that someone who falls over a blade of grass is named player of the year.If he played for anyone outside of the top four do you think he would have won it?

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 10:30:13 AM »
Yeh he would lol he's been outstanding this year.

Bit confused why there's EIGHT players in the team of the year from man u tho?

If they were that good surely they'd have won the title by now?

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 10:31:46 PM »
I dont want to labour the point but i think it stinks that a blatant cheat,albeit a very good player also,is named player of the year.