SpursNetwork

Modric overated?

Modric overated?
« on: April 23, 2010, 09:09:18 PM »
Am i the only spurs fan who thinks that luka modric is overrated? you always hear about him being dubbed world class by Redknapp and most spurs fans.however for all his neat touches in our half i find his end product very disappointing.he rarely chips in with an assist for all the oppurtunities he gets into,and his goalscoring record speaks for itself.Personally i think niko kranjcar has been a better signing for us alredy and he cost penuts compared to Modric....

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Modric overated?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 09:18:44 PM »
Bold statement there, personally i don't think he is overrated. I think he is one of them players that you notice more when he isn't playing, a player that makes the team tick, does things that you never really notice. One thing i think he can improve on is consistency, sometimes he does go missing

by the way welcome to the site :)

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 09:40:14 PM »
The only problem with Modric is his small stature. Of course there have been great diminutive players before and - for example - Lionel Messi lacks height but in English football Modric is sometimes physically outplayed. If he was playing in La Liga, he would have more chances to shine. But really, to say that Modric is overrated is not quite right. As Biggs pointed out, he sometimes tends to fade away or go missing but, to be honest, that seems to be the problem with all of our players.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:37:12 AM »
i just think with luka too too often his final pass or final shot lets him down.i have a season ticket and its just frustrating when he gets in these positions more often then not it amounts too nothing,small stature or not

and thanks for the welcome biggs  ;)

Offline Lowestoft Yid

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:41:36 AM »
I'd rather have him in my team than have to play against him!!   :o

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 10:44:31 AM »
I personally think he's a great player with fantastic ability, and a Footballing mind to compliment that ability. Before his injury he was controlling our midfield and making the team tick in my opinion, but once back from injury, he seemed a lot less confident in his own ability and struck me as being a little jaded. In the last few games, i have started to see the old Luka, the one that loves the ball at his feet. I think we will struggle to hold on to him, a lot of people are worried about us losing Azza and Bale, but my biggest concern is Modric being snapped up by one of the big European teams!

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 08:35:20 PM »
I personally don't think Modders is overated. in my opinion he is our main man who can make us tick more often than not. I'd maybe say recently, bar the Chelsea and Ars*nal games he has been below par for his standards but he is still a great palyer to watch with those quick feet and the abaility to use both feet.

Yes Redknapp is always banging the Modric drum but so is Slavan Bilic, Modric's national coach. Both 'Arry and Bilic say Modric is world class and could play in any team. I tend to agree with these two coaches.

Modric is still young in terms of a footballer 23/24 i think and has adapted well to the physical nature of the prem. I felt before he got injured he was playing some of his best football for Spurs. Has his injury effected him? Or maybe Harry switching back to the left wing again has unsettled the wee man. He was brilliant recently in the centre alongside Huddlestone. Maybe his best position is in the middle?
COYS!

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
  • Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »
I agree with Dedley, he plays fantastically in the centre of the park, which is due to the fact that he is so comfortable on the ball, and as for his distribution, well just look at some of the balls that he played against United, they were top drawn, even better than some of Hudds. Just because he doesn't get loads of assists and goals does not mean that he isnt a fantatic player, we have other players to do that for us, what Modders does is bring the assisters and scores into the game, and that is why he would walk into any team in the world.

Ill admit that sometimes he does miss a pass, but he is only human and it is he second year in English football, he will get better, and he will then start to contribute the assists and goals that his game lacks. Make no mistake, Modric is not overated, he IS World Class, and in no way is he overrated.

Sorry for the rant and welcome to the site mate.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:48:25 PM by YidJoe24 »
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »
I think his best position is being in the middle of the park. Against Le' Arse and The Scums both Modders and Hudds were spraying passes and killing the opposition's fullbacks. Too bad our Strikers couldn't finish those great chances from our other players mainly Bale. Back when Hudds was playing with palacios sure we can get the balls from the opposition but the opponents knew that if they block out Hudds our game play would fade away with it. Thus with Modders alongside Hudds both of em unlock the opposition back 4 with complete ease even with little possession.

I dont know why you said Modders is overrated but so far for me, He has been giving alot of great assists (and should have been assists). He can tackle, he can run for the ball, bring the ball up, give killer through balls and of course last but not least draw the opponent and getting us a freekick. Sometimes he also dictates tempo in which (dare i say it?) Jenas was unable to do. For a quick counter attack Hudds can deliver longer and more devastating balls to Bale or Lennon if both of em were playing on the wings. I think we were abit tad lucky when Modders was out injured and we won games. Because sometimes during those matches to me i feel like we lack creativity. Real creativity that Modders can give. Well sorry for the rant but just my 2 cents.

Last time out this overrated talk was about Dawson. Look at him now with confidence. Better than ever and heck, he proved us wrong. Wont be long until Modders shows us what he can do and when the time comes, I wouldnt be surprised if he leaves with Corluka n Krancjar.

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 09:57:46 AM »
Is it good Croatia aren't going to the World Cup? At least that way potential suiters won't be looking at them with a view to make an offer for our 3 Croats.
COYS!

Offline SomersetYiddo

• Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 02:16:30 PM »
Modric is not overated but he just hasnt captured the form he was on last season or earlier this season before the injury. Sometimes you just dont notice him but when you do he is absolute quality. Hes a great playmakers and very good technically but he does dissappoint with his finishing sometimes and needs to score a few more goals. His best position is no doubt in the middle of the park.

Offline SpursLad

• Peng.
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 03:55:24 PM »
The only problem I have with Modric is his shooting ability, or lack of. Haven't seen such a gifted player with such a poor poor technique with his shooting, it is pathetic.

Fact is though, the guy is a class above. Just his little changes of direction when he gets the ball in the middle of the park, he dictates the tempo, never gives the ball away.