SpursNetwork

Bale money

Offline 1961

• Hero: Johnny White
  • Season Ticket: No
Bale money
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:15:54 AM »
As an ancient fan who watched Johnny White (RIP) I am mystified by recent expenditure. I am also amazed by Defoe's patience. Had Martin Joel or Harry had such a budget imagine the impact. We have not replaced the power of Ledley King or the engine room of Scotty Parker. All pretty boys and no bxxx.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
Re: Bale money
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 08:15:45 AM »
As an ancient fan who watched Johnny White (RIP) I am mystified by recent expenditure. I am also amazed by Defoe's patience. Had Martin Joel or Harry had such a budget imagine the impact. We have not replaced the power of Ledley King or the engine room of Scotty Parker. All pretty boys and no bxxx.

An element of truth in what you say 1961.

:up: :up: :up:     
:SN:[font

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »
I've been looking at our new team and I think the problem is that our midfield is not that suited to English game. As 1961 pointed out, we haven't replaced Scott Parker and I think he might have a point. We had two Brazilians in the middle and despite the fact they should click, they were pretty much awful. Lamela is not up to English game yet and well, Lennon is Lennon... Yes, he is fast, but he lacks the grit.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »

I think it is too early to judge. You can spend as much as you like but you've got to get the players to gel. We got quite a few players in, in the summer so now AVB has to mould that team into working machine.

Harry or Joel wouldn't have done any better.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »

1961 you are so right AVB has removed all the heart, power and passion from the side and you will know better than most having watched a team with Dave MacKay playing in it, someone has to do the dirty work !!!

:up:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 07:34:46 PM »
1961 good post, valid points made! Hammer, nail ,head ,hit!

For me right now i believe we are in a similar position as Chelsea and Man City were in when they practically brought a new team, whilst I welcome our new signings and have high hopes I feel the sheer volume of new skillful players who as individuals are utter class being all brought in at the same time, means we are starting from scratch.

In my opinion AVB does not yet know what his strongest and prefered 11 is, which combination of players work best together complimenting each others skill sets and he has not given the team time to gel.

Lets face it our second string in the Europa are having more success, agreed against weaker opposition but they are performing.

My biggest fear is due to AVB being so scared to loose matches he is in reflection losing the players respect and belief in him by employing tactics that do not suit many, Dembele has already spoken out.  Is AVB loosing the dressing room if he is or has its a downward slide.

I hope a huge lesson as been learnt and if AVB is the manager I think and hope he is we should see a very different approach vs Man U.

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 05:14:31 PM »

1961 you are so right AVB has removed all the heart, power and passion from the side and you will know better than most having watched a team with Dave MacKay playing in it, someone has to do the dirty work !!!

The 1961 team was a great team, but they couldn't go on to emulate that success. We haven't won a league title since. I couldn't care less what AVB removes so long has he gets us trophies and fighting for the title.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »

The 1961 team was a great team, but they couldn't go on to emulate that success. We haven't won a league title since. I couldn't care less what AVB removes so long has he gets us trophies and fighting for the title.

Funny that that team then finished 2nd the following year retained the FA Cup and then went on to finish 4th in 1963 and win the Cup WInners Cup, the first English club to win a major European title. I'd say that they were pretty successful !!!!
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 08:28:03 PM »

Funny that that team then finished 2nd the following year retained the FA Cup and then went on to finish 4th in 1963 and win the Cup WInners Cup, the first English club to win a major European title. I'd say that they were pretty successful !!!!

Successful compared to what? To ourselves? Successful is when you  win the league. Cup competition is just a lottery. Portsmouth and Wigan both won the cup. But they can't win the league. That is success.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 10:46:20 PM »

Successful compared to what? To ourselves? Successful is when you  win the league. Cup competition is just a lottery. Portsmouth and Wigan both won the cup. But they can't win the league. That is success.

You realy are unbelievable Voice, a title and 3 trophies in 3 years is successful in anybodys book. No wonder no one posts here anymore you argue every point even when you are proved wrong or don't have a point, you truly are a tit !!!

:hide:

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 06:58:29 AM »
Ugs if our current side were to win the title and 3 cups of any mixture in 3 years I would certainly deem that a success!

THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 08:16:26 AM »

1961 you are so right AVB has removed all the heart, power and passion from the side and you will know better than most having watched a team with Dave MacKay playing in it, someone has to do

the dirty work !!!

From someone who was also around in the 60's I can tell you now, they were a great side up until 1964 when half the double side were either dead, injured, or retired, and Billy Nick replaced virtually the entire team by 1967, when we finished 3rd, and won the cup. We came very close in the league several times in that decade, so to say that we didn't emulate the 1961 season simply is not true.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »

1961 you are so right AVB has removed all the heart, power and passion from the side and you will know better than most having watched a team with Dave MacKay playing in it, someone has to do

the dirty work !!!

From someone who was also around in the 60's I can tell you now, they were a great side up until 1964 when half the double side were either dead, injured, or retired, and Billy Nick replaced virtually the entire team by 1967, when we finished 3rd, and won the cup. We came very close in the league several times in that decade, so to say that we didn't emulate the 1961 season simply is not true.

I was born 1947(yes you are correct I am an old fart) and have been supporting SPURS since the age of 8 and went to games both Home and Away, and I was privileged to see The Double Side(Yes it was a privilege), and all of Billy Nick's teams, and for someone who purports to be a Spurs Supporter have the audacity to say that they never emulated the Double side is insulting to say the least, that was the most successful era of our Club and you should be ashamed of yourself for making such statements.

:nods: :nods: :nods: :nods:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:13:07 AM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 04:29:50 PM »

You realy are unbelievable Voice, a title and 3 trophies in 3 years is successful in anybodys book. No wonder no one posts here anymore you argue every point even when you are proved wrong or don't have a point, you truly are a tit !!!

:hide:

I argue points if I feel they need to be argued. As you do if you think I am wrong.  Yes, 3 titles in 3 years is good, but today's football your worth is counted in league titles. Look at the top 4 teams; all have won titles recently.

As for people not posting; I think you should look beyond me. I am on other forums and people don't leave because of me but appreciate all types of views. If you were right then every forum I touched would be turned into wastelands, they are not. They are thriving.

I think if you want to know why people are not posting then look no further than yourself. If you can attack other members (calling them tits or idiots) and getting away with it then maybe people don't want to join a forum where a few can get away with abuse without people challenged. I am not doing anything I am not doing on other forums. And what I am doing is appreciated.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 04:41:59 PM »

the dirty work !!!

I was born 1947(yes you are correct I am an old fart) and have been supporting SPURS since the age of 8 and went to games both Home and Away, and I was privileged to see The Double Side(Yes it was a privilege), and all of Billy Nick's teams, and for someone who purports to be a Spurs Supporter have the audacity to say that they never emulated the Double side is insulting to say the least, that was the most successful era of our Club and you should be ashamed of yourself for making such statements.

:nods: :nods: :nods: :nods:

They haven't emulated it in the sense of recapturing the title. As ugs said; 3 years. Look at all the great teams; Ars*nal, United, City and Chelsea.... for Christ sake, even Blackburn have won the title and others more recently. Our greatest period was between 1961 and 1965 (?); since then we've been in the wilderness. Do those clubs I mentioned go on about their past? No, because they are winning trophies in the future/ now. We talk about the past because we've got nothing else to talk about. We don't want to keep looking backwards to having something to be proud of.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do