SpursNetwork

For Those Who Didn't Believe Me

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: For Those Who Didn't Believe Me
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »

Baldbloke,
I genuinely believe that our differences are based on ambition. I believe that we should be winning trophies and vying for a top 4 spot. We have won one league cup in the last 14 years, and will not finish in the top four this season. You may think that based on this information we have had a good season, and that's your right. However in my opinion, we have been playing boring football, and had a God awful season.
I agree with you that we should be winning trophies; totally support you here. But one ingredient that has been missing is the right manager. Out of all the managers we’ve had – since Berkinshaw – I believe AVB is the best (actually he can’t be much worse). This is his first season, the next will be a telling one.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »
   Penalty shootouts shouldn't be a lottery if the correct preparations are made, they only become a lottery when the coaching staff do not get the players who will be taking them to prepare themselves, and by that I mean practicing taking penalties, and before anybody says "how are they supposed to know there will be a penalty shootout", because it says quite clearly in the competition rules, and I quote,"In the event of a draw in the knockout stages, after the second leg, away goals will count double, if the result remains a draw, 30 mins extra time shall be played, on conclusion of extra time if there is still no result, then penalties shall be taken, 5 per side until 1 team misses." The coaching staff I am sure would know who, if required, would be taking them.

:nods: :nods: :nods:
  Well, whilst it was disappointing to get knocked out of the Europa I can honestly say that I am pleased, perhaps now we can concentrate 100% on the Seasons most important task, and that my friends is finishing in the Top 4 in the PL, without any further distractions.

One minor observation on the game on Thurs, I don't think we have been awarded One penalty this season, probably just as well on Thurs penalty shootout showing, because we would probably have missed it anyway.

:-\ :-\ :-\

I don't think there is a manager who won't say it isn't a lottery. I've seen the so called best teams - or prepared as you say - who have missed penalties. I've read many football players autobiographies that have said no matter how many times you take penalties or prepare on the day it is still a lottery. The best team doesn't win, only the luckiest.

We are now knocked out and I agree with you; we should now put all our reserves into the Premiership.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline baldbloke

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 05:05:36 PM »

I agree with you that we should be winning trophies; totally support you here. But one ingredient that has been missing is the right manager. Out of all the managers we’ve had – since Berkinshaw – I believe AVB is the best (actually he can’t be much worse). This is his first season, the next will be a telling one.
[/quote]

I'm hoping he will be removed before August, but there we disagree !!
AVB OUT, AND TAKE LEVY WITH YOU

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 05:08:05 PM »
   Penalty shootouts shouldn't be a lottery if the correct preparations are made, they only become a lottery when the coaching staff do not get the players who will be taking them to prepare themselves, and by that I mean practicing taking penalties, and before anybody says "how are they supposed to know there will be a penalty shootout", because it says quite clearly in the competition rules, and I quote,"In the event of a draw in the knockout stages, after the second leg, away goals will count double, if the result remains a draw, 30 mins extra time shall be played, on conclusion of extra time if there is still no result, then penalties shall be taken, 5 per side until 1 team misses." The coaching staff I am sure would know who, if required, would be taking them.

Well, whilst it was disappointing to get knocked out of the Europa I can honestly say that I am pleased, perhaps now we can concentrate 100% on the Seasons most important task, and that my friends is finishing in the Top 4 in the PL, without any further distractions.

One minor observation on the game on Thurs, I don't think we have been awarded One penalty this season, probably just as well on Thurs penalty shootout showing, because we would probably have missed it anyway.

No we haven't had a penalty so far this season. The reason we hadn't practiced penalties is because the moron we so sweetly refer to as our head coach, probably hadn't thought about it.

Personally I am gutted that we have knocked out of the Europa cup. It was our last chance to win silver wear this season, and even if we get top four, the club doesn't get a trophy for it, and it certainly doesn't get registered in the clubs history. Personally, I don't think we have any chance at all of finishing in the top four, but even if we do, what does it mean. We aren't going to win it, and the money generated will only go in the pockets of the fat cat directors, because as sure as snow is snow, levy won't spend it on playing staff.

Just one thing about "the fat cat directors"; to make money - lots of money - Spurs have to be successful. That is through merchandise and on the field and the only way that will happen is for Spurs to be well supported and be in the top 4 and of course win trophies. Most directors if not all are actually fans who want their club to do well; on and off the field. That is why they want to build a bigger stadium to house more supporters. Once we have a bigger stadium we then need to fill it and the only way we will fill it is by winning trophies and being in the top 4 and Europe. You are just too cynical :up:
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline baldbloke

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »

I don't think there is a manager who won't say it isn't a lottery. I've seen the so called best teams - or prepared as you say - who have missed penalties. I've read many football players autobiographies that have said no matter how many times you take penalties or prepare on the day it is still a lottery. The best team doesn't win, only the luckiest.

We are now knocked out and I agree with you; we should now put all our reserves into the Premiership.

I don't agree with penalty shoot outs and can give far better and fairer ways of finishing a game. My favourite is a big punch up in the centre circle, with the last man standing. I doubt this will ever happen, but can you imaging how much more entertaining it would be ?

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 05:09:10 PM »

I'm hoping he will be removed before August, but there we disagree !!
[/quote]

Trust me, he won't be removed. The only way that will happen is if we struggle near the bottom.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline baldbloke

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 05:10:58 PM »

No we haven't had a penalty so far this season. The reason we hadn't practiced penalties is because the moron we so sweetly refer to as our head coach, probably hadn't thought about it.

Personally I am gutted that we have knocked out of the Europa cup. It was our last chance to win silver wear this season, and even if we get top four, the club doesn't get a trophy for it, and it certainly doesn't get registered in the clubs history. Personally, I don't think we have any chance at all of finishing in the top four, but even if we do, what does it mean. We aren't going to win it, and the money generated will only go in the pockets of the fat cat directors, because as sure as snow is snow, levy won't spend it on playing staff.

Just one thing about "the fat cat directors"; to make money - lots of money - Spurs have to be successful. That is through merchandise and on the field and the only way that will happen is for Spurs to be well supported and be in the top 4 and of course win trophies. Most directors if not all are actually fans who want their club to do well; on and off the field. That is why they want to build a bigger stadium to house more supporters. Once we have a bigger stadium we then need to fill it and the only way we will fill it is by winning trophies and being in the top 4 and Europe. You are just too cynical :up:

I can't disagree with that at all. The problem is that you and I don't own the purse strings. You may have the confidence in Mr Levy, but I don't.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 05:24:25 PM »

I can't disagree with that at all. The problem is that you and I don't own the purse strings. You may have the confidence in Mr Levy, but I don't.

From what I have seen and Learnt of Mr Levy I think under the circumstances he has done gone a good job. He, and the owner, have rescued Spurs from near oblivion. They kept the club’s head above water ever since and have spent millions on trying to improve the team. In quite a few of seasons we were the second highest spenders. On top of that they’ve been thinking long term; i.e. a bigger club. Whether you think that is a waste of money or not we need a bigger stadium to compete with the Ars*nals, City’s, United’s etc. That is a fact.

Another point; whether we like Mr Levy or not he is not going anywhere so we might as well get behind him(and the team) and only raising our head above the parapet if we are struggling or it looks like we will never get into the top 4.

AVB has done a good job for his first season so let us get behind him this season and next only voicing our irritation if his team struggle or don’t look like they will ever reach the top four.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline baldbloke

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »
From what I have seen and Learnt of Mr Levy I think under the circumstances he has done gone a good job. He, and the owner, have rescued Spurs from near oblivion. They kept the club’s head above water ever since and have spent millions on trying to improve the team. In quite a few of seasons we were the second highest spenders. On top of that they’ve been thinking long term; i.e. a bigger club. Whether you think that is a waste of money or not we need a bigger stadium to compete with the Ars*nals, City’s, United’s etc. That is a fact.

Another point; whether we like Mr Levy or not he is not going anywhere so we might as well get behind him(and the team) and only raising our head above the parapet if we are struggling or it looks like we will never get into the top 4.

AVB has done a good job for his first season so let us get behind him this season and next only voicing our irritation if his team struggle or don’t look like they will ever reach the top four.
[/quote]

I love your optimism, but what ever you say I will always despise levy, the man who wanted us to play in Pikeyland. As far as AVB is concerned, I don't dislike him, I  just think he is like Forest Gump. He has found himself in a place that he doesn't really understand, and relies on luck. I believe he is a pretender and will be found out sooner or later. To me AVB is just another Ramos. Ramos won the Eufa cup with a team he inherited, with a back room staff that knew what they were doing. AVB inherited a very good team who were on the up. His tactics and team choice have gradually dragged us backwards. Alan Sugar has been heard to say the same as me, and he was the man who saved the club, NOT LEVY

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2013, 06:20:43 PM »

I love your optimism, but what ever you say I will always despise levy, the man who wanted us to play in Pikeyland. As far as AVB is concerned, I don't dislike him, I  just think he is like Forest Gump. He has found himself in a place that he doesn't really understand, and relies on luck. I believe he is a pretender and will be found out sooner or later. To me AVB is just another Ramos. Ramos won the Eufa cup with a team he inherited, with a back room staff that knew what they were doing. AVB inherited a very good team who were on the up. His tactics and team choice have gradually dragged us backwards. Alan Sugar has been heard to say the same as me, and he was the man who saved the club, NOT LEVY

I am a realist while you hate him; simples.

As for wanting to move grounds. They said the same before we moved to White Hart Lane. I am glad we are staying at White Hart Lane but if they had moved to the Olympic stadium then I would have accepted it, and so would you eventually. Clubs have got to look forward, not backwards and if the Olympic stadium was the only option then so be it. To be honest I thought it was a clever strategy to get more out of the local council; which worked.
You are right about Sugar, but what I meant was that Levy took it to another level that Sugar wouldn’t have done.

As for AVB; only time will tell. But I am sure whatever you think of him you will be wishing him well and hope that he comes up with the goods.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2013, 07:23:46 PM »
Wow, I haven't been on here for ages. From what I can gather, it is generally the same old rhetoric being banded about by the same old Bandits. The best and most original comments seem to come those inbetween. Think I will check back again towards the end of the season and see where we stand then, and to see if the record has been changed at all.

I live in hope.  :hide:
Maybe next year...

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2013, 07:32:49 PM »
Oh dear
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2013, 08:46:58 PM »
This thread should be closed and only reopened after baldbloke's hopes, dreams and fears have come true.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »
     Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they are, I think that some of what The Bald-one says has its merits, whether you like it or not, Levy and his cohorts purport to be Spurs supporters, but ultimately they are businessmen, who are only interested in making as much money as possible from their investment, if they were TRUE SUPPORTERS they would only want what is best for the Club, and they would have made the funds available to strengthen the squad, and we all know that they haven't. I don't give a toss about us being the biggest spenders prior to the season, it just shows that the quality of some of the players that were bought weren't good enough, possibly due to the idiot that was in charge of recruiting them, namely one Mr Levy.

:SN:[font

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2013, 11:36:51 AM »
Quote[I am a realist while you hate him; simples.As for wanting to move grounds. They said the same before we moved to White Hart Lane. I am glad we are staying at White Hart Lane but if they had moved to the Olympic stadium then I would have accepted it, and so would you eventually. Clubs have got to look forward, not backwards and if the Olympic stadium was the only option then so be it. To be honest I thought it was a clever strategy to get more out of the local council; which worked.You are right about Sugar, but what I meant was that Levy took it to another level that Sugar wouldn’t have done. As for AVB; only time will tell. But I am sure whatever you think of him you will be wishing him well and hope that he comes up with the goods.] Unquote

How could you possibly know what was said in Sept 1899, for your information, the reason THFC moved to White Hart Lane was because the roof of the refreshment bar at their previous ground(Northumberland Park) collapsed because dozens of people in the 14,000 crowd that watched Spurs play Woolwich Ars*nal  29th April 1899 climbed onto it, and there were some minor injuries, so a new ground was found.

;) ;) ;)
    I am assuming then Voice that you are putting Alan Sugar in the same category as Harry Redknapp, by that I mean that Alan Sugar had outlived his usefulness to the Club and was incapable of taking THFC to the next level. I totally disagree with you on this point, the one thing about Alan Sugar, like him or loathe him, is, he was and still is a true Tottenham Supporter, a 100% Spurs person, who was prepared to put his own money into the Club that he loves, and was not looking for a "dividend" on his investment, unlike the present bunch of investors.

:( :( :(
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 12:12:00 PM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font