SpursNetwork

Summer transfer window

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Summer transfer window
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 04:15:21 PM »
I ma not sure that Rooney is the right man for us even if we could afford him. Too long at Man U IMO

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
I ma not sure that Rooney is the right man for us even if we could afford him. Too long at Man U IMO

I wouldn't fancy him in our team either. I also think he is overrated. We relied on him too much in the world cup. Players should be part of a team, not a one man band, which he things he is.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »
Overrated, yes. But still far better than most. As for him not being a team player. That is way off! Rooney fights and plays for the team nearly every match. Will play anywhere and do the job. Has enough quality to turn a game, something we lack at times.

There may be other players that would be more suited...name them!
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 07:43:58 PM »
Overrated, yes. But still far better than most. As for him not being a team player. That is way off! Rooney fights and plays for the team nearly every match. Will play anywhere and do the job. Has enough quality to turn a game, something we lack at times.

There may be other players that would be more suited...name them!

My point was that in the world cup we focused on him too much rather than considering other strikers. Focusing on one because he happens to be Rooney is wrong. I thought that Ramsey had right idea. Even though Greaves was the one everybody looked to in 1966 Ramsey was thinking of the team and what was the best formation for a particular match and that is why Greaves had to sit on the bench. If today's mentality was in place then Greaves would have played no matter what.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 07:25:50 AM »
      So are we now blaming Rooney for the World Cup debacle are we, what a load of crap.
     At least Rooney knows where the back of the net is, because he finds it consistently season in, season out. As for him not being a team player, how many assists has he got for the last 3 or 4 seasons for both Club and Country I would hazard a guess at quite a few, probably more assists than Defoe has scored, if that means he only thinks of himself then "my Prick is a bloater and we have Fish for tea"

:ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah:
:SN:[font

Offline dimexi

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
I was not talking about how Rooney has played for England. Because England have been playing badly for too long. This is not solely down to Rooney, or because we think he is the answer our problems. But because we have had pretty poor managers who do not get the best out of the players.

Whereas, Rooney in the league, with a good manager has utilised him effectively within the team and consistently gets good performances from him.

Career Stats :                 Man Utd                   Everton                   England
Games 559                        401                            77                           81
Goals 249                          197                            17                           35
Assists: 118                        95                              8                            15

Now Statistics are never the whole picture but tell me again how Rooney is a bad player!

I ask again then, so if Rooney is not the player we could or would sign, WHO WOULD YOU SUGGEST?

Maybe next year...

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 01:24:38 PM »
The problem with many football fans is that they hate some team or player so much they refuse to recognise that one may be a great footballer. I regard myself to be a reasonable person and therefore I dare to say that Rooney is a great footballer who would fit in at any top club. And, while I don't rate him as a person, I am convinced that John Terry is actually one of the best defenders and leaders of his generation just as for example Tony Adams was. People let prejudice lead themselves and to me it is a sign of general unintelligence.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »
      So are we now blaming Rooney for the World Cup debacle are we, what a load of crap.
     At least Rooney knows where the back of the net is, because he finds it consistently season in, season out. As for him not being a team player, how many assists has he got for the last 3 or 4 seasons for both Club and Country I would hazard a guess at quite a few, probably more assists than Defoe has scored, if that means he only thinks of himself then "my Prick is a bloater and we have Fish for tea"

:ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah:

It wasn't just Rooney. Anyway, I thought they should have put on another striker.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 03:26:57 PM »
The problem with many football fans is that they hate some team or player so much they refuse to recognise that one may be a great footballer. I regard myself to be a reasonable person and therefore I dare to say that Rooney is a great footballer who would fit in at any top club. And, while I don't rate him as a person, I am convinced that John Terry is actually one of the best defenders and leaders of his generation just as for example Tony Adams was. People let prejudice lead themselves and to me it is a sign of general unintelligence.

Iwould take JT any day of the week over Rooney. However, I doubt he would come to us. At least he would help stop us conceding 1 or 2 goals a game from crosses into the box.

Offline dimexi

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 10:21:36 PM »
JT is a bit too slow for me and getting slower. Yes he is still a good player but for what they could offer the team, I would say Rooney has more to give and for longer.

This is kind of a non-point though really because we would never be able to sign either of these players!
Maybe next year...

Offline RSS61

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 08:02:30 AM »
JT is a bit too slow for me and getting slower. Yes he is still a good player but for what they could offer the team, I would say Rooney has more to give and for longer.

This is kind of a non-point though really because we would never be able to sign either of these players!

True... AVB will be after younger, pacier players I would guess

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »

I do not disagree with the fact that Rooney and Terry are both great footballers. I am not entirely convinced that they would fit in any top club on the basis of their temperament.  Besides, Rooney always seems to be struggling with his weight and this will not get any better as he gets older and Terry as we know, struggles with his mouth.  :nods:

My point is that there are bags of other players in this country, younger, fitter and less controvertial than the two mentioned above who would be far better bets for any club including ours. But that's just my opinion. :hide:

Offline RSS61

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 08:28:24 AM »
Leandro Damiao still being strongly linked. Hopefully some substance this time and not just more paper talk.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 05:17:14 PM »
Leandro Damiao still being strongly linked. Hopefully some substance this time and not just more paper talk.

I never go by what the papers say as they rarely get it right. A lot of our players are linked to other clubs... players like Bale.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline dimexi

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 10:52:57 PM »

I never go by what the papers say as they rarely get it right. A lot of our players are linked to other clubs... players like Bale.

I never believe everything I see in the papers either. But you often say that 'you read somewhere...' so where do you get your information from?
Maybe next year...