SpursNetwork

Not The Best start

Offline a12 warrior

• Season Ticket: Yes
Not The Best start
« on: August 23, 2011, 03:24:39 PM »
Old Trafford not the best place to start! but still the same old problem cant score.
Was hoping for at least a point with Man U really short at the back, same old though Spurs did not play bad but lose 3 - 0.
Spurs have had all the close season to address the situation Harry says needs to bring in 2 / 3 players time is now running out, with most of the other teams securing the players they wanted.
Cannot see who and where they are going to come from now!!!!! :-[ 

Re: Not The Best start
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »
We were never going to score after United scored first. At that point, vdV started dropping back to help in the midfield, leaving Defoe on his own. This is why Modric and Sandro are so important in our midfield! They help retain possession.

Losing to United Away, over the course of a season, is not a big deal.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:03:39 PM »
Exactly! We need to win against weaker oppositions as losing away against ManU is still somewhat inevitable to most teams and let's face it - after the signingless summer we are pretty much like most other clubs who compete for places 4th to 10th.

Offline baldbloke

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:06:19 PM »
Old Trafford not the best place to start! but still the same old problem cant score.
Was hoping for at least a point with Man U really short at the back, same old though Spurs did not play bad but lose 3 - 0.
Spurs have had all the close season to address the situation Harry says needs to bring in 2 / 3 players time is now running out, with most of the other teams securing the players they wanted.
Cannot see who and where they are going to come from now!!!!! :-[

Yes 3-0 against the Man Ure youth team, not great really

The transfer situation is even worse. A loan deal for a striker that is not only a problem in the dressing, but also not that good anyway, and Diarra, a player we don't need anyway.

By all means call me negative (like I give a toss), bbut don't expect anymore than a mid table finish this year
AVB OUT, AND TAKE LEVY WITH YOU

Offline WilsonJet

• Mouthy Yank
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:58:19 PM »
We were never going to score after United scored first. At that point, vdV started dropping back to help in the midfield, leaving Defoe on his own. This is why Modric and Sandro are so important in our midfield! They help retain possession.

Brilliant. 2 posts. Concise and spot on.

baldbloke I want to gouge my eyes out reading your 'sky is falling' knee jerk responses. We lost away to United in the first game of the season while also dealing with a major injury crisis and transfer drama. This Spurs team is VERY good. Better than last year already and we finished 5th last season. I'm not convinced Liverpool is any better than they were and Ars*nal is clearly worse off. I by no means pleased with the letdown after 60 minutes but we were never going to win the Premiership or even finish 4th on the merit of points earned at Old Trafford.

...and Adebayor not that good anyway? :o Only better than every forward on our roster.
He's strained his left adductor muscle it says. Whats that then ? Do we all have those or just footballers ? I wonder how mine are ? *courtesy of taimedowne*

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 07:57:07 PM »
Utd very rarely lose at home, and even more rarely against us. The fact it was the first game of the season heightens the disappointment but I suspect we would have not done much better whenever we had played them. Reading Harry's bit in The Sun yesterday morning you would have thought we were beaten before we got of the coach. I thought we did well enough in the first half to suggest we have promise. And considering the make shift nature of our midfield we looked pretty good passed it well at times and had the majority of possesion until half time,. VDV seemed to have fallen for the dodgy keeper story and had a shoot on site policy which may have worked had the keeper actually have been dodgy but as he wasn't just ended up wasting good positions that we may have benefited from with a bit more subtlety. However I dont think we need start slashing our wrists just yet we still have a decent side and at least we have that one out of the way early. Only another 37 to go we will no doubt do much better in quite a few of those . 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:00:17 PM by taimedowne »

Offline Spurs218

• Hero: Zokora
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:19:14 PM »
I don't mind losing at United (by that I mean I expect it) what annoys me is how s**t we were.
"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

RIP: Sir Bill Nicholson

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 12:52:40 AM »
To be completely honest it was hard to watch, but I think I'll be far more upset if we get slaughtered by City.
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 07:22:32 AM »
Still 37 games to go  ;) :up:

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 10:11:21 AM »
Still 111 points to play for and according to SAF 84 pionts will win it so we can afford to lose another 9 games yet LOL !!!!!!!!

Seriously though things could be better but it is still early and as long as we don't let things get to us we will be OK !!!

:up:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline PaulInRome

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 05:47:22 PM »
To be completely honest it was hard to watch, but I think I'll be far more upset if we get slaughtered by City.

The risk is that we will get slaughtered by City and be sitting in the relegation zone with zero points. This season could go downhill very rapidly if we don't get a positive result next weekend. T obe honest, I'd settle for a good performance and a draw.

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 07:18:27 PM »
We have some really tough games to start with. Utd, City, Arse and Liverpool all in the next couple of weeks. We may well end up bottom after a run like that but it would be a false position as put the other 15 teams in the league in that run and see how many points they come out with. We need to get a few points from these games ideally, but realistically if we get 4 points out of the possible 12 on offer we will have done well.

Offline a12 warrior

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 08:01:09 AM »

Not the end of the earth agreed, but the same problem cant score,VDV always drops back in to midfield he started off last season playing just behind the striker and was effective.
And yes Modric and Sandro will make a difference in midfield, but I still believe Spurs will be left short up front, time will tell if no one comes in!!

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »
Couldn't bear to listen to the second half.