SpursNetwork

Wigan Vs Spurs

Offline COYS

Wigan Vs Spurs
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2007, 05:15:34 PM »
I don't know, we usualy show some flashes of quality upfront. Though today was more quality all round the pitch rather than just on the attack:D
Berba > God

Berba's girl

Wigan Vs Spurs
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2007, 05:20:35 PM »
Oh so frustrating!  54 seconds - are you kidding me? Woeful defending. I can see why Ifil has not played - he's the only one we have left & so had to play. Maybe that's unfair as it's his first game but you've gotta be made of tougher stuff. Thank God for Berba - brilliant feet, great goal. There wasn't much Robbo could've done about Wigan's second & at least we didn't hang our heads. We'd had the better of the play up until that point. Unsure of the penalty decision - it's one of those you'd have to look at again & again but not going to complain. Keano cool as a cucumber as per usual. Classy. Awful defending again for Wigan's third - won't harp on about too much, we all know it's a big problem.
Keano's equalizer was sensational though. What a take! So difficult but he kept his eye on the ball all the way.

Unfortunately I did predict this one as a draw. I'm not usually right. :-( One point is not good enough. We've gotta win against teams like Wigan if we wanna qualify for Europe. Why MJ insists on putting Lennon on the left is beyond me. Why not put Tainion on the left? Especially as the game progressed you could clearly see it wasn't working, so CHANGE IT!! This is what frustrates me about MJ's tactics.

Robbo 8       some good saves, can't blame him for the goals
Chimbonda 6  not a great game, despite being back on his favoured right
Dawson 8    not the best start but ended up the rock that he's been all  
                 season
Rocha 6   still not confident about his abilities
Ifil 5       contributed to Wigan's first goal
JJ 8        best game in ages but still inconsistent throughout
Tainio 6   didn't really notice him much
Lennon 5   was non-existent
Zokora 6   didn't get involved enough
Malbranque (sub) 5   not much to say really
Berba 8     some great touches today, fab goal - quality
Keano 8    ran everywhere & worked hard, fab goal, cool penalty
JD (sub) 4   only had 15 mins but didn't manage anything

I suppose we've gotta hope Chelscum win today so the UEFA places extend to 7th place. Not the ideal way to do it but it may just be a lifeline.

Never a better time to beat the Arse is there? Just get the bloody defence organised pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:27:17 PM by Berba's girl »

Wigan Vs Spurs
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2007, 05:34:39 PM »
Remember Ifil is a RB playing on the left..

Wigan Vs Spurs
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2007, 06:06:28 PM »
I think some of u are giving us too much credit today saying it was a good performance, it was absolutely s**t, how can it be a good performance if u concede 3 goals to wigan, our defence has not been able to defend corners all season, dread to think how many corners weve conceeded off.
When the opposition has a corner against us they win the header 8/10 times, should be the ohter way round.
Dawson had a great game but he still looks really dodgy sometimes, should of dealt with donkey heskey better through the 1st half.
Attacking was ok not great though.

Offline COYS

Wigan Vs Spurs
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2007, 06:18:38 PM »
:s That performance weren't s**t, defensive wise it was but tbh we are s**te at defending on the attacks we looked like scoring often imo.

You said that too many people are saying it was a good performance, well you just went to the other extreme. There was no way that was a s**t performance just not as good as itcould have been defensivley.:aaaa coffee:
Berba > God

Wigan Vs Spurs
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2007, 07:01:15 PM »
mate how can it be called an overall good performance if we conceeded 3 goals against a team like wigan, yeh i agree certain aspects like our attacking were ok, not the performance on a whole.

Offline COYS

Wigan Vs Spurs
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2007, 07:33:39 PM »
I didn't say it was an overall good performance, i said that the attacking was good the defending was bad. no where di i say it was overall good.
Berba > God

Wigan Vs Spurs
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2007, 07:36:20 PM »
Quote from: COYS;3672
I don't know, we usualy show some flashes of quality upfront. Though today was more quality all round the pitch rather than just on the attack:D

You said u think we were quality all around the pitch rather just on the attack?

Anyway when i made my 1st post saying i thought the performance was s**t n some ppl were giving us too much credit i wasnt directing it to something u had said previously.

Offline Daniisco

• http://spursnetwork.com
Wigan Vs Spurs
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2007, 08:14:31 PM »
JOLS THOUGHTS ON THE GAME

Jol admits he is delighted by his side's goalscoring record but concerned by their vulnerability in defence.

"It was a great game of football, but they scored from crosses and we should have known their weapons," he told Sky Sports.

"On the other side of that, we used our quality and that is why we scored two terrific goals, and even the Jermaine Jenas penalty was a great attack.

"We could have nicked it but at the end we have to be satisfied with a point.

"We score goals and even at the end Jermain Defoe came on and showed me that he wants to play for us, but we have to do better defensively."

Tottenham's schedule of fixtures has been hectic in recent weeks due to their European commitments, but following their Uefa Cup exit to Sevilla on Thursday, Jol is determined to qualify for the competition again.

"We played last Thursday, Saturday, Thursday and then Sunday so playing a fourth game in ten days was not easy," he explained.

"Coming to Wigan can be difficult but we showed our quality.

"The main thing now is that we finish in the top six because we want to play in Europe again."

Offline SpursLad

• Peng.
Wigan Vs Spurs
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2007, 08:20:32 PM »
Yet again our inability to defend in the air and in set pieces shone through. Yeah we may of scored 3 but our defending was woeful. I thought it was a poor performance and if we thought we could with the UEFA Cup but concede 3 against Wigan then we are and were very wrong.

I personally rate and like Jenas, played very well today and currently would play him over Huddlestone untill he loses some weight and gains some pace and reacts quicker.

Robinsob's got an assist
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2007, 02:31:13 PM »
I liked the goal Keane's gotten from Paul Robinson's long pass.
It was terrific!!

Just a long pass and a shot made a goal!!
What an efficient attack!!

Maybe Wigan's defense was not good. Some people may have said like that.
But, Robinson's kick is strong and accurate in many cases.
Keane? He is also an artist with Berba.
A ball bounced much and he made a volley-shooting, and also it was high shot since he saw a goalkeeper move forward from the goal.

G R E A T ! ! !
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:34:41 PM by goods7 »

Offline pukekohespur

• Hero: Greaves
Wigan Vs Spurs
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2007, 11:58:59 AM »
Yeah Keanes goal was a beauty. Just the confident look on his face was worth it. Sometimes that old direct route works a treat
"Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is." Danny Blanchflower