SpursNetwork

Wigan 0-3 Tottenham

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Wigan Vs Tottenham
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 09:41:05 PM »
Tottenham's want-away frontman Roman Pavlyuchenko climbed off the bench to secure a hard-fought win over Wigan and lift his side back into fourth spot.

The Russian, reportedly denied a move back to his homeland only this week, scored two in 10 minutes.

The first was a neat finish from Luka Modric's pass and his second came in stoppage time from the angle.

It added to Jermain Defoe's first-half tap-in, though he looked offside, as relegation-threatened Wigan fell away.

The Latics remain just two points off the drop zone as a result of the defeat, and on this showing will need a turnaround in both form and fortune if they are to retain their top-flight status.

For Tottenham, though, this was a welcome three points - only their second win of 2010 - and they had Pavlyuchenko's cameo to thank for settling the match after a series a missed opportunities earlier in the encounter.

It will be interesting to see whether Harry Redknapp now gives the Russian a run in the side in place of Peter Crouch, who is without a goal in seven matches.

But either way, it would appear that Pavlyuchenko has the full support of the Tottenham fans, who cheered his every touch from the terraces.

Few could argue with the result, earned by the visitors on a pitch barely worthy of the name, the recent wet weather only serving to further tear at the uneven surface.

That helped contribute to a distinct lack of quality passing and movement for much of the game, though with neither side going through their best form of the season perhaps the pitch could not be blamed entirely.

As it was, the first half was made memorable almost solely for Defoe's controversial opener.

The striker was clearly a yard offside when he tapped in Bale's pin-point centre, but the flag stayed down and the goal stood.

It overshadowed a fine move, built on an excellent advantage played by referee Alan Wiley after a foul on David Bentley, with Crouch and Niko Kranjcar combining to feed Bale's excellent run down the left.

And despite the controversial nature of the strike, it was probably just what the visitors had deserved after shading the opening 45 minutes.

Still, Wigan had the odd half-chance, and Hugo Rodallega brought a fingertip save out of Heurelho Gomes from 20 yards out after exchanging passes with Marcelo Moreno on the edge of the penalty area.

There were also arguments that Defoe was perhaps lucky to still be on the field to notch the opener after a frustrated lunge at Gary Caldwell 20 minutes in. Certainly, on second view, it looked a very nasty challenge.

He escaped punishment, though, and was by far Tottenham's biggest threat until his substitution 73 minutes in.

Twice he stung the palms of home keeper Chris Kirkland in the second half, first after collecting Kranjcar's pass, stepping around Scharner and firing goalwards from 18 yards, and then with a turn and left-footed shot.

At the other end, the introduction of Victor Moses reinvigorated Wigan, the signing from Crystal Palace forcing a comfortable save from range before playing his part in a move that ended with Charles N'Zogbia curling high and wide.

But the best chances were still falling to Spurs, who began to control proceedings in the closing stages.

Crouch, set clear on goal by substitute Modric, wasted an excellent chance as his tame effort was saved by the sprawling Kirkland one-on-one, while only the woodwork kept Modric's sublime volley from extending Spurs' advantage.

As it was it fell to Pavlyuchenko, brought on for Defoe, to add the finishing touches to the visitors' build-up play

His first was a fine clipped finish after fine work from the excellent Modric, and the second an opportunist strike from near the byline after Emmerson Boyce had failed to clear from his original saved header.

Those goals proved enough to add to Wigan's relegation fears, and while the 3-0 result did not touch Tottenham's 9-1 home win over the Latics of earlier in the season, the 12-goal winning advantage did mark the biggest margin over two matches in Premier League history.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez: "I am left with a huge feeling of frustration. We had to climb a mountain after conceding that first goal, which was a terrible decision from the linesman as it was clearly offside.

"I cannot explain it, there was no-one in the linesman's vision and it is hard to understand how it went against us. It was a key moment in the game.

"I felt a few decision went against us. Jermain Defoe was fortunate to stay on the pitch after a couple of incidents.

"I think from small decisions to big decisions, the referee made the game impossible for us."

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp:
"Pavlyuchenko's trained well this week. He's worked hard and showed a great attitude.

"I've always said he has got great ability. When he wants to work and give everything, he's a top quality player.

"I felt we dominated play and were the better team today."

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
  • Hero: David Ginola
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 09:43:59 PM »
Mate i've played on better pitches for Sunday League
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 09:47:38 PM »
Any news on Ledley after he had to be replaced due to another injury? :'(
COYS!

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 06:54:26 AM »

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 08:14:49 AM »
Super Pav Super Pav.. god Harry must start him now! Let crouch sit on the bench! Dont sell him just play him!

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 12:06:04 PM »
Pav HAS the quality to put us in the quarter finals!  :D
COYS!

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »
Pav has quality yes!! And crouch cant put us through to the quarter finals! LoL!

Offline ozoha

Re: Wigan 0-3 Tottenham
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 09:02:01 PM »
Pav really deserves a chance.

Harry MUST drop Crouchy to the bench.
Audere et Facere!