• Season Ticket: Yes
Tottenham 0-0 Aston Villa
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:09:01 PM »

Tottenham

v

Aston Villa

Barclays Premier League - 6th Feb 2010 - KO 17:30 - Ground: White Hart Lane

TV: ESPN | Live Feed | Make Prediction

Tottenham's new signings, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Younes Kaboul, are likely to be on the bench.

Manager Harry Redknapp may recall Ledley King after he sat out the midweek FA Cup clash with Leeds.

Aston Villa hope to welcome back John Carew, who has missed the last four matches with a knee injury.

Captain Stiliyan Petrov will play despite a troublesome Achilles, but Stephen Warnock (shin) has been told to rest for two weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tottenham

Suspended: None Doubtful: King (knee), Pavlyuchenko (groin)

Injured: Assou-Ekotto (hip), Cudicini (broken wrists), Lennon & Woodgate (both groin)

Aston Villa

Suspended: None Doubtful: Carew (knee)

Injured: Albrighton & Reo-Coker (both ankle), Harewood (foot), Warnock (shin)

The holy grail of a Champions League place remains within the grasp of both these clubs.

Spurs have won just once in the league in 2010 and are grimly hanging on to fourth spot as the traffic behind them, in the shape of Liverpool, Manchester City and Villa, begins to bunch up.
Harry Redknapp's men have picked up only seven points out of 21 against teams currently in the top seven this season, while Villa have lost just twice in eight clashes against the big boys, beating Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United along the way.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill has drummed into his squad the importance of picking up results in matches such as these and is also trying to maintain their focus as the distraction of the forthcoming Carling Cup final looms large.

Should they win at Wembley, O'Neill will be keen to avoid the example Tottenham set when they won there two years ago. Spurs took their foot of the gas completely following their triumph over Chelsea and won only three of their 12 remaining league matches as their season meandered into May.

Villa go into this match with the league's meanest defence, but they will have their hands full containing Tottenham and their red-hot striker Jermain Defoe, whose third hat-trick of the season in midweek further rubberstamped his place in England's World Cup squad.

Biggs feel free to edit this if you wish.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:55:33 PM by Southend_Yid »

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline SomersetYiddo

• Hero: David Ginola
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Tottenham V Aston Villa
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:11:23 AM »
Just about to set off from Bristol, driving down today so no drink for me at the lane. Probably one of the most anticipated matches on the fixture list for me this one. Hopefully see a debut for Gudjohnsen since he is named in the squad and hopefully he comes up trumps! I can see this one being a draw but hopefully we will edge it because by the time we play we could have dropped some places if Liverpool and Man City both win. This is a proper 6 pointer for 4th place and we must win. Defoe back on form so expecting him to fire at least one in. Also if we score first we cannot sit back and let Villa play onto us, also we have to be carefull of there counter attack. COYS!!!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:16:47 PM »
Your going to the game aswell? Good man, im heading off to catch my first train soon. COYS!

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 07:26:04 PM »
BORING BORING VILLA!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 10:44:56 PM »
BORING BORING VILLA!

HaHa Yes that was funny singing that in the South Lower today

Offline Chelmsford_yid

Re: Tottenham 0-0 Aston Villa
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 10:47:50 PM »
Tottenham and Aston Villa were unable to boost their hopes of a Champions League spot in a frustrating stalemate.

The hosts dominated the first half with goalkeeper Brad Friedel twice denying Ledley King, and a 30-yard thunderbolt from midfielder Tom Huddlestone.

Tottenham keeper Heurelho Gomes also impressed as he made a double save from James Milner and Gabriel Agbonlahor.

Spurs pushed for a winner with Peter Crouch's deflected shot going wide and Jermain Defoe denied a late penalty.

The Tottenham players were left screaming for a spot-kick after a tackle from Stilian Petrov but the Bulgarian's challenge was deemed to be fair by referee Chris Foy.

Both teams continue to boast an impressive array of statistics. Villa are unbeaten in eight and Spurs with five successive clean sheets at White Hart Lane, but one point is a prize neither team will fully appreciate.

After Liverpool's earlier victory in the battle of Merseyside, it was crucial for Spurs and Villa, starting the clash in fifth and seventh respectively, to crank up the pressure on their rivals.

Despite having the league's meanest defence, Villa, unchanged from the side that beat Fulham, began in shaky fashion with a rejuvenated David Bentley enjoying freedom on the right wing.

The England midfielder almost created an early opener with the recalled King towering high to head the corner straight into the arms of Friedel.

Villa's attacking force was dealt a blow on 21 minutes when Emile Heskey limped off after a challenge with Wilson Palacios and was replaced by John Carew, in the squad again having missed the previous four games with a knee injury.

But it was Tottenham, eyeing only their second league win in 2010, who looked the hungrier and again went close when defender Richard Dunne and Friedel combined to shut out Crouch's toe-poke after a cute throughball from Luka Modric.

American Friedel was again on hand to push away a blistering 30-yard strike from Huddlestone, and just before the half-hour, it was time for Tottenham's number one to be called into action.

The Brazilian's reactions were instinctive as he smothered Milner's low shot before getting up to save from Agbonlahor with his legs.

Much of the battles continued in the middle as Villa's brilliant Dunne led from the back to keep the opponents at bay, but Spurs gave one big push before the break and almost grabbed the vital strike.

Bentley floated in a free-kick for Crouch to twist in mid-air and nod down for King, whose prod was well saved by Friedel before Defoe pounced to stab the ball over the bar.

Neither boss introduced any changes for the second half, and the defenders continued to dominate with Villa restricted to a pair of free-kicks from Stewart Downing and Ashley Young flying horribly over.

With 10 minutes remaining, Modric burst forward to set up Crouch, whose shot from outside the box was deflected narrowly wide by Dunne.

O'Neill, looking determined to avoid defeat, urged his players to drop back, but it was a dangerous policy and Tottenham came agonisingly close to a winner three times in the dying minutes.

Defoe and Crouch had more chances but Villa's defence stood firm to clinch a hard-earned draw.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp:
"Every time we pulled the trigger it seemed to take a deflection or hit somebody, but overall I thought we were terrific.

"It's going to be tight for fourth place, it's going to go all the way.

"Liverpool are in good form, it's one defeat in 12 games for us, so we've been in great form, Manchester City are going to be right there and so are Villa.

"There are four teams battling for that fourth spot and maybe even third, who knows? If somebody has a run, anything could happen."

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill:
"I'm delighted with my defenders. They also appreciate the players in front of them as well.

"In the second half, at times it was every man to the pump. But it's been a great effort and against a very strong Tottenham side."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:57:05 PM by Southend_Yid »

Offline SomersetYiddo

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 08:44:38 PM »
A bit disappointed with the 0-0 draw after a 160 mile trip but week in week out you cant get what you want. I thought it would be a draw prior to the game but we really were alot more dominant and had alot more possesion and chances than Villa and deserved to win. We came close but just lacked that cutting edge but full credit to the Villa defence, Collins and Dunne seemed to get in the way of everything. I was pissed off that Villa seemed to play for a draw in the secound half and didnt play ore open so we could get in between them. Bale was excellent, great tackling and good going forward. MOTM by far was Bale.

Offline Chelmsford_yid

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 11:12:10 PM »
Where was you seating? I was in block 36 next the to Villa fans.

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 03:12:35 AM »
I hate it when they play their *Clean defence game* God.. and those long balls up front! I mean we also play long ball but atleast we also try different stuff and provide Entertainment! God i hate villa. Effing hate!

Offline SomersetYiddo

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 11:06:51 AM »
North Lower 22 mate. Lots of yawns from us when Villa were in possesion (which wasnt long) they werent up for a blood and thunder style 4th place 6 pointer! They just were happy with a draw! At least we were trying to get the 3 points.