SpursNetwork

Van Bommel & Baptista

Offline aspursfan

• Season Ticket: No
Van Bommel & Baptista
« on: December 23, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »
Two names I've seen us linked with. What do you think about these two? Van Bommel is 33, but it seems that many clubs are after him. I suppose that goes to show how defensive midfielders are becoming more and more highly valued these days. I even read City are after him. Mancini is building an army of defensive midfielders! Seems like a player Harry would be after, but I'm not sure about Levy.

I'm not really sure about Baptista. I don't know where he would fit in our squad. I don't think there's much to this one anyway.

"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
Re: Van Bommel & Baptista
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 02:42:38 PM »
Neither player fits the mould for us at the moment either Young and hungry or older with something to prove. It's silly season in 8 days and will be linked with everyone once again as the press boys try to anticipate the clubs every move........ Journo's are just sad little individuals with no friends !!!

I wonder if Gareth Keowns a Journo LOL !!!!

:santa_rolleyes:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »
Baptista would be an ideal forward to bring in January..... big and powerful, good experience, powerful shot, can play with Defoe or as a lone-striker..... and would be very cheap too..

perfectly fits the template Arry and I have for an incoming forward.... and still leave money for a new young pacy striker...

Offline PaulInRome

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 03:34:40 PM »
Baptista would be an ideal forward to bring in January..... big and powerful, good experience, powerful shot, can play with Defoe or as a lone-striker..... and would be very cheap too..

perfectly fits the template Arry and I have for an incoming forward.... and still leave money for a new young pacy striker...

Powerful shot indeed, but nearly always misses the target. Not sure of his overall scoring record but he probably makes Crouch look prolific. Has been a disaster at Roma and they are desperate to get rid of him (and his high salary).

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 03:46:55 PM »
Baptista has always scored goals regularly WHEN given a fair run in a team... he was prolific at Sevilla a few yrs back, and you dont lose that scorer's instinct... also at Roma they have had very good strikers eg. Vucinic and now Boriello to play (not to even mention Toni when he was still okay, and a chap called Totti)...

context plays a huge part in perception.... we can (and I expect will) take full advantage of the current perception of Baptista as a washed-up has-been.... you dont get into a Brazilian WC squad just a few months ago if youre not a good player...

the price of Baptista will hopefully reflect the blinkered viewpoint of many like PopeInRome...

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 04:13:30 PM »
to be fair, im pretty sure Paul has seen alot more of Baptisa than you have Gareth, considering where he lives :santa_cheesy:

Offline bigv

• Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 04:59:09 PM »
baptista is crap, never rated him as a wrestler tbh :santa_evil:

Offline scotspurs

• C.O.Y.S
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 08:38:11 PM »
baptista is crap, never rated him as a wrestler tbh :santa_evil:
:santa_grin: :santa_grin: :santa_grin:

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »
to be fair, im pretty sure Paul has seen alot more of Baptisa than you have Gareth, considering where he lives :santa_cheesy:

to be even  fairer Biggsy..... as live Serie A games in Berlusconiland  are strictly on a pay-per-view basis, and as Pablo in Roma seems to favour Inter (or his gloryhound daughter at least) AND plus the fact that Serie A games are broadcast live several times on ESPN via my Virgin subscription.... chances are heavily in my favour that I've seen Baptista more than my esteemed poster....

also, I dont pay too much to his current form, as he knows he's never going to be 1st-choice at Roma against the likes of Totti (Mr Roma), Vucinic (25m+ player) and now Borriello.... and his limited gametime shows this well..

Baptista is an excelent player, for the striking-role we need filled, and has great experience too (numerous top tournaments with Brazil, top European games within many leagues, etc)...

he can hustle and bustle..... he can welly it.... he knows when to hold it... he knows when to pass it.... he's fairly cheap.... has Prem experience already.... Spurs (and London)have fellow Brazilians around....SORTED.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »
Van Bommel is a no no for me but Baptista is one I touted tehy name of a couple of seasons ago.

I think he could come in and do a job for us, no questioing his strength and ability on the ball and his has EPL experience so less settling in time.  Price and wage would be the big one though, if the deal is right defo worth a punt
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 06:38:40 PM »
van Bumhole is a no-go area for me.... :santa_tongue: