SpursNetwork

The Canadian Football Thread

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
  • Hero: Atiba Hutchinson/Jermain Defoe/Harry Kane
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2008, 09:38:08 PM »
M/F Andrew Ornoch (Andrzej Mateusz Ornoch) has signed a 4-year deal with Esbjerg fB in Denmark. This surprised a few people on the Voyageurs site, but it's quite a step up from Lombard FC P
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 09:48:42 PM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!
Proudly Canadian, Proudly A Spurs Fan

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2008, 10:17:04 PM »
Crystal Palace USA???????????????????
There be dragons

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2008, 11:37:43 PM »
Mhmm. CP started an offshoot of their club in Baltimore, Maryland. CPUSA'll often get players sent over on loan from the "parent club" from their reserve team.

http://www.crystalpalaceusa.com/Home.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Palace_Baltimore

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2008, 09:20:44 PM »
Apparently M Jaime Peters is being looked at by Steaua Bucuresti. Now there is a Romanian team I actually see as having prestige. And there is where Hirschie should have gone if he wanted Romania :p Gimp.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2008, 10:10:21 PM »
As you've probably heard already, Stalteri's been loaned to Fulham. I guess the Wolfsburg thang either fell through or has been put off until the summer.

Also, M Jaime Peters is joining "Canadian" Marc Bircham at Yeovil for the rest of the season, on loan from Ipswich.

M/F Simeon Jackson has left Rushden & Diamonds for Gillingham. About time Sim left that crap-hole :lol:

Unless something drastic happens in the next hour and a half, it looks like de Guzman's staying in La Coru
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:36:51 PM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2008, 12:52:32 AM »
Canada currently sitting in 56th in the FIFA World Rankings.

I'm getting just a little fed up with CONCACAF, too. They figure they can bully Canada around. :dry:

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2008, 04:02:14 AM »
Well, Jonathan de Guzman made it official today, he's gonna play for the Netherlands. So that's two players that have sold out on Canada for selfish reasons. So Judas de Guzman is no longer Canadian, and he can kiss my Finnish-Canadian ass!

And here's my parting shot:
(To the tune of "There's only one Arsene Wenger")

There is only one De Guzman
There is only Julian De Guzman
We aren't gonna count that selfish hack
Jono stabbed Julian in the back

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2008, 02:03:21 AM »
Well, time for a blow-for-blow depth assessment of Canada's national team pool :p

GK - could be good in the future, but as for the here-and-now, things aren't looking too good.

Lars Hirschfeld - may have freed himself to play for Canada by leaving Rosenborg, but his play with Cluj hasn't been that great. Still, he has shut out Chelsea in the past. That has to mean something. :p

Pat Onstad - 40 years old. He played well at the '07 Gold Cup, but that's about the only time I've seen him do decently. He's good for Houston in the MLS, but kinda inconsistent for the Maple Leaf.

Greg Sutton - I'll admit I once rated this guy, when he played with the Montreal Impact. But he's slow and somewhat injury-prone.

Kenny Stamatopoulos - good enough for Toronto FC's backup role. Not good enough for a big-time team. I'd say he was mid-Championship calibre at best. At worst mid-League One.

Roberto Giacomi - shows some signs of future promise. Even got called up to Team Canada for the 2007 Gold Cup even though he didn't actually play.

Asmir Begovic - our best hope for the future, but he needs to get the hell out of Pompey and to a League side where he can actually develop his skills properly. Is a Bosnian citizen and could play for Bosnia in the future, but he only lived in Canada for five years before leaving for Pompey, so while I'd be crushed if Bego switched, I'd hold no ill will against him, and most Canadians would likely agree.

Josh Wagenaar - another young hope. Not as good as Begovic, but the best young goalkeeper that is a sure bet for Canada. ADO's former backup, now trialing with Lyngby in Denmark.

David Monsalve - I'll have to admit, I don't know much about this guy, but he's good enough to be in Canada's U20s. I'm hoping he'll see more action for Toronto FC.

Srdjan Djekanovic - I was impressed with this guy and how well he played for a kid in his matches with Toronto FC. I don't think you've heard the last of him.

Wojciech Zarzycki - not the best guy available, but he's on this list because Ferencvaros, that Hungarian giant that recently fell upon hard times, has put it on his shoulders to carry them back to the promised land. Wears #99, too! What Canadian can hate a guy who wears 99? :lol:

RB - we're stuck with one guy, one guy we yiddos know of all too well :p Or at least, that's what Dale Mitchell would have us think.

Paul Stalteri - shoulda stuck to playing midfield. He was decent coming forward, but a series of groin injuries have slowed him down big time, plus he's getting on in the years, is prone to angry outbursts (see: Gold Cup semifinal, 2007), takes rash fouls, and heads the ball into his own net.

Nikolas Ledgerwood - could play right back (or right wing-back for that matter) and has for the U20s and U23s in the past, but seems more at home at defensive mid. He can also play right mid.

Stathis Kappos - a relative unknown outside of Canada and Greece. The coaching staff doesn't have as much confidence in him as they do in Diesel (Stalteri) but they may have no choice in the matter (and sooner than they think at that) but to play him! He isn't great, but he isn't horrible by CONCACAF standards either.

LB - better off than RB but not by much.

Mike Klukowski - our best LB. He isn't half-bad but does take some dumb fouls at times.

Ante Jazic - decent, but plays for the LA Galaxy, unfortunately. He's not anywhere near as big a spazz-case as his Canuck teammate Kevin Harmse. Heck no. Had a solid GC 2007. Is getting on in the years.

Jim Brennan - has Championship experience and would have played in the Prems for Norwich if not for injuries. Solid leader as well. Toronto FC's captain.

Kent O'Connor - Regionalliga calibre if even. 'Nuff said.

CB - one of Canada's strongest positions.

Richard Hastings - dropped off the radar for a while after scoring the shocking goal that eliminated Mexico from Gold Cup 2000 en route to Canada's only win of a major trophy. But then he was unquestionably Canada's best defender in the same tournament seven years later. He's a little slow, but there's no denying his defensive skill. Can also play defensive mid.

Kevin McKenna - on paper, he's Canada's best CB. However, there are some concerns about his attitude after a somewhat dodgy transfer to K

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2008, 02:03:40 AM »
LM - is dangerously thin although De Guzman can also play the position.

Marcel de Jong - good enough that the Netherlands was considering him for a time, but he chose Canada in the end. One of Roda JC's better players. One of the Eredivisie's best defenders. But here's the clincher - he's better at mid! :p Canada's best left-flank player, period.

Jaime Peters - can actually play both flanks. Left winger, right winger, left mid, right mid, he can do it all... when his head's on straight, that is. There are some concerns about this diminutive winger's mindset from time to time. On loan at Yeovil as a result. Best-known as a playmaker although he's on a bit of a cold streak atm.

RM - more right wingers known in Canada, but the calibre of player isn't as high.

Martin Nash - Steve Nash's little bro is getting on in the years and really never was that great, with the exception of Canada's Cinderella Gold Cup run in 2000.

Paris Nakajima-Farran - one of Canada's new breed, he plays for N
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:38:27 PM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2008, 11:24:39 PM »
ST continued:

Alex Elliott - one of Canada's newer pros, he only signed his first contract earlier this year with Germany's Sportfreunde Siegen. I don't know much else about him, except that he just turned 21 (four days ago). So he's just a kid and he has nowhere to go but up from here.

Joevannie Peart - a guy I'm surprised hasn't been called up because of his size. He could be best described as a poor man's Rob Friend - tall (6'6"), lanky, target man type player - and he's been around the block a few times, playing for TFC Lombard-Papa, Becamex Binh Duong in Vietnam, and more recently, as a trialist for various teams in Scandinavia. Kinda slow.

Elliott Godfrey - yes, he's in Conference South. And yes, he's lived in England most of his life. But he's still Canadian, having lived the first years of his life in Toronto. Hampton & Richmond's Elliott Godfrey's had something of a career year, garnering himself a team-leading 17 goals (tied tenth overall in Conference South) in the H&R Block's stunning 3rd-place finish only one season after gaining promotion from the Isthmian League Premier Division. If Simeon Jackson can put up those kind of numbers in the Conference Premier and go up to League One, then certainly someone in League Two would have their eyes on Elliott! And going into League two would mean instant consideration from the Canadian national team, if only to be a sub.

Stephen Ademolu - fleet-footed Stephen has been with Troms

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2008, 11:35:23 PM »
Jason DeVos has retired after 18 pro seasons.

This from canadian-s*****r.com:

Ipswich’s De Vos retires

By PA SportsTicker

Ipswich captain Jason De Vos has announced his retirement from professional football at the age of 34 on Sunday.

The central defender, who also played for Wigan, Dundee United and Darlington, said he would be returning to his native Canada to work in the media.

De Vos signalled his intention after Ipswich’s 1-0 victory over Hull at Portman Road.

“This was my last game as a professional footballer,” said De Vos, whose side missed out on the championship playoffs by a single point. “I’ve known for a couple of months now that this was going to be my last season. It was a very difficult decision. I just felt the time was right for me to walk away from the game.”

De Vos, who enjoyed an 18-year career, said he would be working as a football media pundit on Canadian television.

“The football scene in Canada is exploding at the moment,” De Vos said. “There’s a real hunger and appetite back home. I’m hoping to pass on what I’ve learned.”
From Ipswich Town's website:
http://www.itfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10272~1305641,00.html

There are two things I'll always remember DeVos for.

1. Captaining Canada to the 2000 Gold Cup and even scoring the tournament-winning goal in the process.

2. Having a big hand in turning Wigan from low-leaguers into Premier-Leaguers.

Canadians regard this guy as legend - probably the best defender we've ever had, and way the hell better than Stalteri :p. Also one of the best leaders Canada's ever produced. He's been team captain of three club teams as well as Team Canada - Dundee United, Wigan, and most recently Ipswich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_DeVos
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_3519828,00.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 11:38:30 PM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!