SpursNetwork

The Canadian Football Thread

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
  • Hero: Atiba Hutchinson/Jermain Defoe/Harry Kane
  • Season Ticket: No
« on: March 22, 2007, 09:16:20 PM »
Now as you probably all already know, I'm Canadian, and very proud to be Canadian. But there is one thing that bothers me immensely about this country. We don't have a decent football system of our own. Now most Canadians think "football" is that weird rugby spinoff played by men wearing tights and insane amounts of padding, which irks me because they only use their feet what? 5% of the time? :p

We share our systems with the US of A, which is financially efficient, but also means we're stuck with only four truly professional teams - Toronto FC (who start when this upcoming MLS season starts), Vancouver Whitecaps (DEFENDING USL CHAMPS BABY! :D) who are the closest thing to a local club that I have, the Montreal Impact (along with Vancouver they comprise two of the three best teams in the USL, the other being the Rochester "Raging Rhinos" in New York State) and the Toronto Lynx (who are pure crap). We did also have the Calgary Mustangs at one point, but they folded.

The so-called "Canadian Professional S****r League" is almost entirely Ontario-based, with only one current team being from outside Ontario, the Dynamites de Laval. (There are two more expansion teams slated for Quebec in the next couple of seasons, but still, western alienation much?) On top of that, they aren't even of Isthmian Premiership calibre.

Then there's the "Pacific Coast S****r League" which is mostly in British Columbia but there are a few Washington State teams as well. My local club in that league, Victoria United, has taken three of the last five, but the defending champs are the Whitecaps Reserve Team. (The other winner was New Westminster Khalsa.)

And in spite of all this, we do manage to get the lone good player. Some notes about Canadian football:

- Most Canadian football fans despise Owen Hargreaves, especially after remarks he made earlier this year (I for one, am a fence-sitter on the whole Hargreaves issue). A similar case is Jonathan de Guzman, who like Hargreaves was born and raised here, but unlike Hargreaves neither of his parents were citizens of the country he's playing for now, the Netherlands. And his older brother, Julian, plays for Canada. Like I say, we're never going to get better if our best guys keep ditching us. (I honestly don't think Jono will ever play with the best guys in the Netherlands anyway!)

- a flip-side of this situation that is awkward for many hardcore Canadian football fans (like most of the people at the Voyageurs site) is QPR mid Marc Bircham, who only plays for Canada through a Canadian passport he was able to obtain somehow because his grandfather lived in Winnipeg for a short time. A lot of said fans, myself included, don't think Bircham should be playing for Canada, but it's a little late now because he's already been capped. He hasn't even lived in the country a day!

- There are a large amount of players that were born abroad and that moved to Canada when very young (well pre-career) in our national team ranks. A particularly high number have Polish citizenship - Tomasz Radzinski, Chris Pozniak, Nicolas Blicharski, Wojciech Zarzycki, Andrzej Ornoch, and Mike Klukowski (who was actually born in Austria) are all Canadian-Polish dual citizens. The three Imhof brothers, Daniel, Dominic and Christoph, are all Canadian-Swiss duals.

- there are a few Canadian-British duals other than Marc Bircham: Iain Hume was born in Edinburgh but grew up in London, the Dodds brothers, Rhian and Jamie, are also of Scottish extraction, and Kevin McKenna got his from having lived in Scotland for so long as a member of Hearts.

- many of our best players come from either the Toronto-Hamilton area or from Montreal, with the occasional input from the south-west of BC (including Steve Nash's little brother Martin, who's from Victoria).
The Maritime provinces (New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador) don't usually produce high-level players, but one noteworthy exception is Halifax native Ante Jazic who has played for Rapid Wien, Hajduk Split, and Kuban Krasnodar.

- In last year's Voyageurs Player of the Year voting, M/F/D Atiba Hutchinson from FC K
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 11:24:50 PM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!
Proudly Canadian, Proudly A Spurs Fan

Offline SpursLad

• Peng.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 07:48:19 AM »
What is the state of attendances at league games on average?

Is there any real funding going into progressing the game in Canada?

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 06:26:31 PM »
That is the CSA's biggest failing IMO. Very little funding going into actually growing the game, relative to other countries in the world. And as a matter of fact, the only sport the government seems to care about is hockey, hockey, hockey. The interest is there, because youth football registration is actually higher than youth hockey. Just that the money isn't. And it pisses me off to the absolute extreme
:ranting::rant_:

As for attendance, the Montreal Impact consistently have sellout crowds and their attendance is up with the best in the USL, around the 15-16 thousand range. Vancouver is in the process of building a new stadium, which is a good thing because Swangard Stadium is sh*t (in more ways than one) and only holds something like 8000 people tops. They expect that the MLS stadium will draw a lot too, with 30 000 seats and the likes of David Beckham going to pass through. They've already sold out the Galaxy matches, or at least, that's what I've heard. Their season tickets have already completely sold out and the season doesn't start for another month.

The Toronto FC roster looks like it's starting to take shape:

G: Greg Sutton (CAN), Jon Busch (USA), Tomer Chencinski (CAN/ISR)

D: Richie Asante (CAN), Adam Braz (CAN), Chris Pozniak (CAN), Marco Reda (CAN), Andy Boyens (NZL)

M: Jose Cancela (URU), Maurice Edu (USA), Andrew Gray (unknown), David Guzman (CAN, this guy is feckin tiny, so is Asante :p), Tyler Hemming (CAN), Rich Mulrooney (USA), Paolo Nagamura (BRA), Ronnie O'Brien (IRL), Carl Robinson (WLS), Jim Brennan (CAN)(captain)

F: Edson Buddle (USA), Conor Casey (USA), Alecko Eskandarian (USA), Jeff Gonsalves (CAN, a question mark at this point)

We need more defenders and another Canadian forward or two. When's the next transfer window?

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline SpursLad

• Peng.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 07:32:38 PM »
15-16,000 isn't bad, better then most Champ grounds.

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 08:16:20 PM »
Only Rochester really rivals them as far as the USL is concerned. I think Vancouver will jump into the mix once the new stadium is built, though. Hell, if I get a job, I might put a little money aside to go over and catch a 'Caps game myself :D Interestingly enough, although the jerseys aren't the same, the Whitecaps' colours are very similar to Tottenham's! ;)

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline SpursLad

• Peng.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 08:19:58 PM »
Give me a Canadian team for me to follow then!!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »
WHITECAPS ALL THE WAY! Even if they play in a shared system (most of the USL teams are stateside) they're one of the best teams - finished third in the "regular season" and won the championship playoff this season! (Not long after the fact, Walsall decided to sign D/M Geordie Lyall right fresh off the roster!)

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/

Although the CPSL, as I said, is largely Ontario-based and really not that great, I do have a soft spot for Serbian White Eagles (one of the many Toronto-based teams in that league) because some of their players have gone on to bigger things in their careers. In the PCSL, it's obviously all about Victoria United for me, considering I only live an hour or so out of Victoria ;)

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline SpursLad

• Peng.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 08:48:33 PM »
I am now an officially adopted Whitecaps fan :D Peter Beardsley used to play for them :o

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 10:42:30 PM »
That was back in the days of the old NASL. :) But then along came the multi-million-dollar deals and the league went bankrupt in hardly any time at all, so the original 'Caps folded in 1984. They were re-formed as the 86ers the year Expo was in Vancouver and re-renamed the Whitecaps six years ago. :) I remember seeing that on the news. "Whitecaps" sounds way cooler than "86ers," IMO.

Jordan and Gjertsen were near-unstoppable last season in the USL1, and having Martin Nash on the team always helps, too ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 10:44:39 PM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 11:20:33 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ap-canada-bermuda&prov=ap&type=lgns

Let's hope this is the beginning of a turnaround for the Canucks. This month we finished at an all-time low 103rd place in the FIFA rankings. I mean sure, it's only Bermuda, but we have to start somewhere.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 07:38:38 PM »
Looks like Ryan "Wacky" Gyaki might be headed to Deutschland... Sheff U's loss, he could turn out quite well with the right coaching. He was dynamite for our U-20s.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11619

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 05:03:58 PM »
I think Jacob Lensky and Jonathan de Guzman are big talents. They both play for Feyenoord Rotterdam, and both are still young. The only problem for our Canadian friend is that De Guzman doesn't wants to play for Canada, but prefers Holland. :D Their best player, doesn't want to play for 'em.

Rob Friend, who's playing at Heracles Almelo (on loan from Heerenveen) is wack.
AFC Ajax

Nobody likes us, we don't care
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 07:01:48 PM »
Quote from: -AFCA-;2658
I think Jacob Lensky and Jonathan de Guzman are big talents. They both play for Feyenoord Rotterdam, and both are still young. The only problem for our Canadian friend is that De Guzman doesn't wants to play for Canada, but prefers Holland. Their best player, doesn't want to play for 'em.

That's not entirely correct. He isn't our best player. And besides that, The Netherlands has enough talented players of its own. Why does it have to poach ours? :dry:

Oddly enough, in one article, Jono still referred to himself as Canadian. So he may not play for Holland, that's still apparently up in the air. He has until he's 21 to decide, and that's 1 1/2 years from now or so.

Our best players:

G Lars Hirschfeld - Rosenborg, Norway
D Kevin McKenna - Energie Cottbus, Germany
M Tam Nsaliwa - Panionios, Greece
M Atiba Hutchinson - K
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 07:17:30 PM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 02:17:09 PM »
Quote from: DC76;2664
That's not entirely correct. He isn't our best player. And besides that, The Netherlands has enough talented players of its own. Why does it have to poach ours? :dry:

Oddly enough, in one article, Jono still referred to himself as Canadian. So he may not play for Holland, that's still apparently up in the air. He has until he's 21 to decide, and that's 1 1/2 years from now or so.

Our best players:

G Lars Hirschfeld - Rosenborg, Norway
D Kevin McKenna - Energie Cottbus, Germany
M Tam Nsaliwa - Panionios, Greece
M Atiba Hutchinson - K
AFC Ajax

Nobody likes us, we don't care
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 04:04:42 PM »
Whatever.

DeRo is in his thirties, so of course nobody's really that interested, but remember that MLS All-Stars vs. Chelsea (who want to sign Jono btw), who scored the only goal in that match? That would be DeRo. :p He's more of a playmaker, but when he scores goals, they always make the highlight reel :D

Hutch and Hirschie are both under contract atm and there's no way that either are going anywhere fast. Especially not after K

I AM CANAYIDIAN!