SpursNetwork

Spurs 1 Southampton 2

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Spurs 1 Southampton 2
« on: May 09, 2016, 06:37:19 PM »
Last time I wrote we were 3pts away from third place play offs. After the Southampton defeat and Ars*nal draw we are now are 1pt away from second position. Spurs play Newcastle away and the Arse are at home to Villa, and they should win that match.
At the beginning I thought something like that would happen, the same feeling I had against the West Ham game. All credit to Southampton, they came for all three points. Southampton has also had some great results of late and have beaten every Premier League club at least once this season. We looked tired and nervous. How much things would have been different if Dembele and Alli had played, but that is by the by. We lost. In fact out of our five defeats two where away and 3 were at home.
It is no good crying over spilt milk, we now need to beat or draw against Newcastle. Unless the Arse can get 14 past Villa.
To be in the European champions league we need a  much stronger squad that we currently have. Still all to play for.

I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Spurs 1 Southampton 2
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 07:29:10 PM »
I said a few months ago that we should learn to walk before we could run and our last few matches show that we may be walking OK but tripping too often on the way.

We now have to hope that Jermaine Defoe present form continues and Sunderland win v Everton so that Newcastle get relegated and give up. In the event that they do not, the Georgies could repeat their performance of December 13 and by doing so give 2nd place to the Arse. Now, that would be really be a lot worse than beeing beaten by Leicester imo.

Well done to Southampton, to be fair. Mason was awful, Lloris had a day off and Kane thinks he can score every goal by himself. You are absolutely right, we missed Alli and Dembele and we will need re-enforcements next season if we want to get anywhere.

I do believe that Levy will open his wallet and Mau will pick the right players as usual. So bright things ahead, but first, lets grab that 2nd place. FCS

:up:

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 08:06:27 AM »
Yes Sundays game was a big disappointment, but the reason that we are even having this discussion regarding Ars*nal, or even Leicester for that matter began long ago back in August, when we led Stoke 2-0 and let them off the hook. All these dropped points, totalling 20 from winning positions, mean that if we even saved half of those, we would be playing for the title on Sunday, rather than beating Ars*nal into 2nd spot.

What has been abundantly clear over 38 games is that we have a definite first eleven, the first time for many years, and when that first eleven are all on song, we have been the best team in the league. We lost Verthonghen, and Wimmer stepped in to be at least as good as Verthonghen. As soon as Dembele, Ali and surprisingly Lamela don't play, then we start to struggle.

Either way IMO we need to keep our main 11, plus Trippier and Wimmer, who I think are both very underrated and should be given some starts.We then need to bring in at least 3 quality players - 2 midfielders and a striker. Without this, we are going to struggle big time next year I think. Teams have learnt that if they defend deep, draw out our fullbacks, then hit us on the break we are vulnerable. And we still haven't sorted out going to sleep on set pieces.

Offline LumpyYid

• Hero: Dave Mackay/JimmyGreaves
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 11:54:13 AM »
  Yes, being beaten by Southampton really hurts, now we have to get at least a draw against Newcastle (who incidently were relegated last night) I disagree that the reason we lost was because both Dembele and Ali didn't play, it wasn't the first time that they both haven't played, unless I am mistaken. I believe that the Chelsea game took its toll, :nods: :nods: we looked really flat, we didn't play with the attacking flair that we have played with all year. :nope: :nope: Just my opinion.
   I am sure that both Levy and Poch will strengthen our squad where it needs to be strengthened in the summer. So come on Guys, STOP ALL THIS DOOM AND GLOOM, and get behind the Lads. One GAME to go and I am sure no-one feels worse about the defeat than the WHOLE SQUAD and COACH and I am absolutely certain that they will be doing everything in their power to ensure that we finish, what has been an amazing season, with a WIN!!!!!!!!!!! :up: :up: :ohyeah: :ohyeah:  COYS.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 06:14:39 PM »
They have to strengthen as we are in the European Championship. We can't be in that competition with the players we've got. We need some stronger backup and another good striker. But good fortunes are ahead.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline LumpyYid

• Hero: Dave Mackay/JimmyGreaves
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 09:53:26 AM »
    Yes the Squad does need strengthening, :nods: and I am sure that the Coach and Chairman both realise that for us to be competitive in both CL and PL next season, and the future, that we do have to strengthen the squad, BUT, lets finish this season first, :nods: instead of Doom and Gloom, :tickedoff: :tickedoff: lets get behind the Team and Coach, to finish what has been a great season. :up: :up:
    More importantly let the Coach DO HIS JOB, which I hasten to add, up til now has been FIRST CLASS, and improve where HE thinks it should BE IMPROVED, I see he has signed a 5 yr extension to his contract together with his entire backroom staff, that in itself shows that Levy has complete TRUST in POCH.
    So Come on Lets get behind the Entire Squad and Coaching Staff for what could be an Historic Finish, not to mention finishing above the ARSE---!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 08:30:17 PM »
I hear our "Head Coach" is now our "Manager".

This suggests that he will control who comes in and who goes out. Great news as we are now looking for a few additions to our already strong squad.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:31:27 PM by spursjoolz »

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 07:13:19 AM »
Pochettino has stated in an interview that he needs and was promised players to make his challenge of the Champions league a lot stronger. We need quality not only on the field but also on the bench. And congratulations from being upgraded from coach to manager.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do