SpursNetwork

Place your bets; Strikers galore - which one do you want?

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Place your bets; Strikers galore - which one do you want?
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:14:10 PM »
I – like you – check who the press are speculating who we are going to buy before the transfer window closes.

1)   The favourite seems to be the WBA striker Saido Berahino; according to the Mirror they are just sorting out details and he will get £100,000 per week.
2)   Then there is the QPR striker Charlie Austin. Another paper speculation. He will only go to a club that is in the top half of the Premier league.
3)   A name that has been talked about for the last couple of months is Fernando Llorento, who plays for Juventus; a former world cup star, but he is over 30 and has been controversial. However, he could add experience.

Whom do you fancy, if any? Or do you have another name that has been thrown about? Or do you just think it is all bunk and what we’ve got is all we are getting? Pochettino did say on Saturday (after the draw) that we still need another striker, so what are your thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:15:52 PM by Voice »
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Spursx

Re: Place your bets; Strikers galore - which one do you want?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 06:33:39 PM »
After yesterday's game we certainly do need another striker, even though our problems were defensive. I would go for experience. I am not sure that the WBA striker is experienced enough, or has scored enough goals. I thought Lamela was poor yesterday, too weak on the ball. Easily pushed off it.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 11:54:57 PM »
Not Lorente, probably end up as another Soldado or worse! ::)

Offline Yiddite

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 08:59:19 AM »
Yannick Bolasie - Crystal Palace is another "paper talk" target although this one might have
gone cold now we have signed N'Jie.
Alexandre Pato ex AC Milan now on loan to Sao Paulo from Corinthians.
Javier Hernandez - Man U, possibly just a weak rumour fom a few weeks ago?

Berahino as first choice,  or Austin but definately need another striker.

Not Lorente, age not on his side and also imo might not be of the same class in prem as he
is in  Serie A . But he is cheap and Juventus interested in Lamella .........

Adebayor to go.

15 days and a few hours to go before transfer window closes !!

Offline Jane

• Hero: Lamela
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 09:36:11 AM »
Lorente might be cheap, but he could be an emergency stop gap and he has played in the Premier league. I would also go for the WBA striker as well. I've seen him play on many occasions and  think he could fit in quite well at Spurs.

Jane x

Offline Don

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »
Howdy again,

Which striker is the question, but whatever we pick will only be part of the equation. Then we have to fit him into our system. I suppose it is a bit like playing blindfolded Russian roulette. We ain’t going to know until the chamber has been put into position and the trigger has been cocked. This West Brom player seems to be the player on everybody’s lips, but what about his goal scoring credibility? Has he scored enough, or is it about the amounts he scored down to the players behind him (his feeders)? And couldn’t we use the same excuse for Soldado? Or was Soldado just the wrong person? So many questions, but as I have indicated before, only by bringing him here will we know for sure. But we just can’t rely on Kane all season to score the required goals to shoot us up the league.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 05:15:18 PM »
I've just been reading - from various sources - that the WBA chairman has told Daniel Levy that he is rejecting his financial offer for Saido Berahino. Because they don't need to sell him and they won't sell him. But to be fair there has been a lot coming out over Saido Berahino; all contradictory. But this is the first time that something has been directly contributed to the WBA chairman.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Spursx

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »
I've just been reading - from various sources - that the WBA chairman has told Daniel Levy that he is rejecting his financial offer for Saido Berahino. Because they don't need to sell him and they won't sell him. But to be fair there has been a lot coming out over Saido Berahino; all contradictory. But this is the first time that something has been directly contributed to the WBA chairman.
#
I think you will find that this is chairman mind games. Eventually they will agree on a figure and he will move. Which means that a chairman has figured out how Levy works and can play the same game.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 04:10:59 PM »
Every day I check the press/ apps about who we are supposed to be buying. And everyday various names pop up, but what is consistent is that Pochettino saying that we need another few players, including a striker. So I would imagine that Levy will take it right up to the wire to get the best deal for Spurs.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 04:54:56 PM »
Lorente might be cheap, but he could be an emergency stop gap and he has played in the Premier league.
Llorente has never played in the Premier League. However, I'd go for Berahino as he can play on the wing as well.

Offline Jane

• Hero: Lamela
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 10:19:15 AM »
Lorente might be cheap, but he could be an emergency stop gap and he has played in the Premier league.
Llorente has never played in the Premier League. However, I'd go for Berahino as he can play on the wing as well.

You are right Mr RiffHard, I was thinking of another player. As for Berahino, that is if we can get him. A week to go before the transfer window closes and what we've got will have to do.

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »
My gut feeling is that we`l get berahino.Once a player gets wind of a bigger club sniffing around he generally digs his heels in until he gets his way.If you believe the papers levy is going to up his offer to £20 million .That should take care of west broms "not on our agenda" comment and he`ll be a spurs player.Of the players mentioned i think he`s the best bet.Llorente is way past his best , austin is a good , hardworking centre forward but not really of the calibre we need right now and hernandez , as much as like him , has only ever really been an impact player at utd.Would he be the same player if he was starting every game ? Berahino always looks sharp to me and with better players supplying him and harry boy doing the donkey work i think he`ll do well for us.
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 03:55:30 PM »
Reportedly WBA have rejected another offer (£22m) from us. Too bad, the Fazio deal to WBA didn't go through, maybe that would given us some leverage.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 05:03:54 PM »
Reportedly WBA have rejected another offer (£22m) from us. Too bad, the Fazio deal to WBA didn't go through, maybe that would given us some leverage.

I think WBA will continue to reject offers until they get their asking fee of £25 million. The player wants to go and Spurs want him. Spurs learnt from Bale that you can't keep a player if he doesn't want to stay. It effects his performance, and then he is no good to anybody.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »

I think WBA will continue to reject offers until they get their asking fee of £25 million. The player wants to go and Spurs want him. Spurs learnt from Bale that you can't keep a player if he doesn't want to stay. It effects his performance, and then he is no good to anybody.
Oh, the irony - when Manchester United unsettled Berbatov we were furious, when Real Madrid did the same with Modrić and Bale, we were furious. And, now we're doing exactly the same...