SpursNetwork

A new England Philosophy

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
  • Season Ticket: No
A new England Philosophy
« on: June 25, 2014, 04:40:52 PM »
Here is something I posted elsewhere, but thought I would share it here too. -  :)

Once again we are faced with going back to the drawing board with our national side. There has been lots of talk about whether Hodgson was the right man, did he pick the right squad, are we just not good enough? Etc. Etc. However, one of the most relevant and common themes seems to be about us finding our own style and tactics and then sticking to it. Allowing the players to develop into the roles which we know will work.

Like many an armchair manager I am faced once again with the strange delusion that I could have done a better job in Brazil than Roy. I also believe that the style and tactics used would not only have served us better this time around but would also have set us on to a path that would reap rewards in the future. A bold claim I know and whilst selecting players that would fit into this system I was rather shocked at who I would have chosen. But I stand by the fact that these would have done more than achieving one point from Costa Rica.

I will also admit that these tactics are not in fact mine. They come from a time when I believe England played in an English way and it was extremely effective. It may not have worked at the time exactly but had we continued down that path, we were on the way to have done what Spain did in recent times. The time was 1998 and Glen Hoddle was our manager. Our tactics were a 5-3-2 formation which quickly switched to become a 3-5-2 in attack and vice versa. The effectiveness of this approach can be seen in multiple areas of the pitch and proves that you can play players 'out of position' if actually doing so ends up creating a connection and style that is very hard to deal with.

Our 3 CBs

Gary Neville (playing on the right of the 3 and easily able to move out to that side as needed)
Sol Campbell (Playing on the left of the 3, he used to play LB so had experience on that side)
Adams (solid in the middle)

LWB Le Saux (has played LB and Left midfield)
RWB Anderton (Never played as a right back but was quick and confident and knew he had Neville covering for him)

MC Ince (The Guv'nor. solid stayed back was disciplined but could break forward at the right time)
RMC Beckham (usually played on the right, but tucked in and played accurate diagnol balls. Formed a great partnership with Anderton switching roles, playing balls on the overlap)
LMC Scholes (Usually plays more centrally but had to move a little left AKA Our left sided problem (well not exactly, no need to drift out too far from the tight central positions, let Le Saux provide the width)

SC Shearer (the complete forward, hold up the ball good in the air, will score for fun)
SC Owen (lightning fast, play off the shoulder, create havoc and have no fear)

Thinking about the players available today, we really don't have the same quality or have players that have had experience in other positions or the potential to be able to quickly adapt. However, there are players out there that could have done it for and I strongly believe would have been more successful.

GK - Hart

RCB - Jones (he was taken for the purpose of RB cover, no just play him here instead)
LCB - Lescott (yes I am surprised too, but he is one of the few players that fit the criteria the alternative is to bring Baines more central and to do what Neville did for us before)
CB - Terry or Cahill (I would say Terry for his experience, leadership and is more in the mold of Adams

RWB - Milner or Johnson (Each could do this role, Milner is a surprise as I struggled to see why he kept being picked, but in this role he would be more like a Le saux than an Anderton, G. Johnson good going forward and would enjoy more freedom knowing he had some protection in his defensive duties)
LWB - Cole  or Shaw or Milner(Yes, I would have selected Cole, the best LB we have ever had and would have been able to fulfill this role. Shaw is young and would run up and down all day long, not first choice but good cover)

CM - Gerrard or Henderson (I know Gerrard didn't do well for us, but he had a good season and with a different mental outlook could have walked through this role)
RCM - Sterling or Lallana (not quite of the Beckham mold but effective if other ways speed, dribbling through players.)
LCM - Wilshere or Rooney (our next Scholes? quality player on the ball and great vision. Or could Rooney play here, doesn't need to be on the left, but can play more centrally,

SC - Carrol or Rooney (Carrol another surprise but has the attributes needed, it is strange that we don't seem to have many CFs of this ilk anymore. Rooney is a different player but is a complete forward and should probably be leading the line in theory)
SC - Sturridge or Defoe ( Sturridge has the potential but needs to be given a specific role and more opportunities to use his best abilities, with Defoe there are not many who play off the shoulder as well as him at this moment,)

So lots of surprises with players who have not necessarily been the best this season but maybe we need to look at this in a new way and then start to develop players that can play in different ways and positions which will give us the freedom to switch our style and formation instantly. Add this to increasing the technical ability and being comfortable in possession of the ball and improve the quality of our passing booth short and using long diagonals and we can start to play our way, the English way move forward rather than backwards for a Change.
Maybe next year...

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: A new England Philosophy
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 07:55:38 AM »
   Dimexi,
              They have just replayed the England v Argentina match from the 1998 World Cup on Australian TV, and I can't help but agree with your post, I like you cannot understand why Hodgson played Rooney out left when he plays as the link man between the midfield and Van Persie for Manure with great effect. I was thinking whilst I watched the replay against the Argies, why oh why did we not persevere with the same formation, because it was certainly very very effective and even when we were down to 10 men we still looked extremely dangerous.

:up: :up: :up:
:SN:[font