The UEFA Europa League 2012-13

Offline daib0

• Royals Rendezvous
  • Hero: Robin Friday
  • Season Ticket: No
The UEFA Europa League 2012-13
« on: August 10, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
The UEFA Europa League

Hi all! Often I don't find the basic info on the organization of knock-out tournaments. Here's a quick and easy run-down on this season's Europa League (lifted from BBC):

The UEFA Europa League comprises three qualifying rounds, a play-off round, a group stage and five knockout rounds.

Qualifying

In matches in the three qualifying rounds and the play-offs, clubs play two matches against each other on a home-and-away basis. The club which scores the greater aggregate of goals qualifies for the next round, with away goals and then penalties used to determine the winner in the event of a draw.

Group stage

The play-off round winners join the ten losers from the UEFA Champions League play-offs and automatic entrants. The clubs are split into 12 groups of four teams, playing home and away against each of their pool opponents between September and December. Two sides from each section advance, proceeding into the round of 32 alongside eight third-placed teams from the UEFA Champions League group stage.

Knockout phase

From the last 32 until the semi-finals, clubs play two games against each other on a home-and-away basis with the same rules as the qualifying and play-off rounds applied. In the last 32, group winners and the four third-placed sides from the UEFA Champions League with the best records are seeded, guaranteeing they will play the second leg at home. Teams from the same group or the same association cannot be drawn together. From the round of 16 onwards the draw is free.

Final

The final is decided by a single match, which this season will be played at the Amsterdam Arena on Wednesday 15 May.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:35:50 PM by RiffHard »
Royals Rendezvous  - a friendly Reading forum

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
Re: The EUFA Europa League 2012-13
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 06:13:28 PM »
In other words it's a tin pot European competition that no one takes seriously until the last 8 !!!!!!

::)
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline daib0

• Royals Rendezvous
  • Hero: Robin Friday
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 07:22:31 PM »
ah, you don't know how good you've got it - for us it would be a dream getting to the qualifying process!!
Royals Rendezvous  - a friendly Reading forum

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »
ah, you don't know how good you've got it - for us it would be a dream getting to the qualifying process!!

I think that is the problem. I agree that some have an overly negative view of what was a great competition. But it is a shame that this credibility has been taken away through poor organisation, a terrible system of CL losers entering late on and the quality of the teams that qualify for this tournament.

Until we have a CL that is more elite, with less teams in it and therefore higher quality teams in this tournament, it will be impossible to change these views. The CL are actually missing a trick or two, where they could make more money across both cups than they can presently, just need to open their eyes a bit.
Maybe next year...

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »

I think that is the problem. I agree that some have an overly negative view of what was a great competition. But it is a shame that this credibility has been taken away through poor organisation, a terrible system of CL losers entering late on and the quality of the teams that qualify for this tournament.

Until we have a CL that is more elite, with less teams in it and therefore higher quality teams in this tournament, it will be impossible to change these views. The CL are actually missing a trick or two, where they could make more money across both cups than they can presently, just need to open their eyes a bit.

Maybe it could become a 2 division european league, with some of the teams being promoted / relegated each season, and the bottom teams fron div 2 being replaced by teams that qualify. This would give more incentive for the div 2 teams

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 12:55:18 PM »

Maybe it could become a 2 division european league, with some of the teams being promoted / relegated each season, and the bottom teams fron div 2 being replaced by teams that qualify. This would give more incentive for the div 2 teams

For example we would have a better chance of being promoted from div 2 to div 1 than getting in top 4 at home

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: The UEFA Europa League 2012-13
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:04:54 AM »

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:17:23 PM »
Some very good teams in that final 32, there are quite a few i would want to avoid.

Good amount of teams from the EPL too!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 10:31:54 PM »
I believe if we was get in the next round, we would have the winners of Inter or ClUJ

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 10:25:18 AM »
And that's the reason why I find it hard to get into this competition, if we win we get to play a team that have been knocked out of another competition because they didn't cut it. Totally wrong if your out your out just because you've been in with the big boys shouldn't mean you get to have another go cos they beat you up !!!!

:nope:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Chelmsford_yid

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 10:29:55 AM »
*Cough*Chelsea*Cough*  :2funny: :hide:

Offline Chelmsford_yid

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 03:52:15 AM »
Forgot to updated the scores from the 1st and 2nd legs of round of 32, I'll show you the games for the last 16 and I'll remember to keep it updated.  :up:

1st leg to be played on the 7th of March -

Anzhi v Newcastle
Plzen v Fenerbahce
Steaua Buch't v Chelsea
Stuttgart v Lazio
Benfica v Bordeaux
FC Basel v Zenit
Levante v Rubin
Tottenham v Inter

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 06:59:06 AM »
Forgot to updated the scores from the 1st and 2nd legs of round of 32, I'll show you the games for the last 16 and I'll remember to keep it updated.  :up:

1st leg to be played on the 7th of March -

Anzhi v Newcastle
Plzen v Fenerbahce
Steaua Buch't v Chelsea
Stuttgart v Lazio
Benfica v Bordeaux
FC Basel v Zenit
Levante v Rubin
Tottenham v Inter
Our tie is by far the most prestigious one.

Offline Chelmsford_yid

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 03:32:28 PM »
1st leg results -

Anzhi  0-0 Newcastle
Plzen 0- 1 Fenerbahce
Steaua Buch't 1-0 Chelsea
Stuttgart 0-2 Lazio
Benfica 1-0 Bordeaux
FC Basel 2-0 Zenit
Levante 0-0 Rubin
Tottenham 3-0 Inter

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 05:18:20 PM »
The way Spurs played against Inter Milan I can't see why we can't go all the way. After all they were supposed to be the best team out of the last 16.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.