Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
  • Hero: Atiba Hutchinson/Jermain Defoe/Harry Kane
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Football League + Conference
« Reply #300 on: May 03, 2015, 11:28:13 PM »

An extremely small update. :P

LEAGUE ONE

Bristol City (99) ended the season with an 8-2 win over Walsall. More importantly, though, Preston North End (89) blew it at the last minute to give MK Dons (91) the opportunity to grab the auto-promo spot, and that they did. Dons obliterated last-place Yeovil 5-1 while Colchester United "did the impossible" and beat PNE 1-0 to grab life from the jaws of death.

This means that the relegated teams are Notts County, Crawley Town (both 50), Leyton Orient (49), and Yeovil (40).

Playoffs:

(3) Preston North End vs. (6) Chesterfield
(4) Swindon Town vs. (5) Sheffield U (GO SHEFFIELD!)

CONFERENCE PREMIER

And the playoff semis ended like their first leg did - Bristol Rovers and Grimsby coming out on top. It wasn't exactly without pain for the losers, especially not for Eastleigh, who got destroyed 3-0 by Grimsby.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:58:59 PM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!
Proudly Canadian, Proudly A Spurs Fan

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #301 on: May 05, 2015, 02:24:33 AM »
An even smaller one. :lol:

Truro City beat St. Neots FC 1-0 to win the Southern League playoffs and obtain promotion - surely they'll be in Conference South given that Truro is in Cornwall.  :P

By the way, I dug up the reason for the lag in the Isthmian playoffs: Enfield Town has been charged with fielding a suspended player. See these articles for more:

http://www.isthmian.co.uk/enfield-town-league-statement-280415-24246/
http://www.isthmian.co.uk/enfield-town-league-statement-010515-24284/

As such, Enfield town are dinged a total of three points from their season total - barring a successful appeal to the FA, which I can't see happening - which causes Metropolitan Police to take their playoff spot against Hendon.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:33:01 AM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #302 on: May 15, 2015, 10:29:44 PM »
Called it. Metro Police got the spot. :P

And promptly lost.  :lol:

LEAGUE ONE

Preston North End had no trouble with Chesterfield, winning their tie 4-0 on aggies. Swindon, on the other hand, won the first match 2-1 only to almost blow it in the second leg, with the final score finishing an absurd 5-5 draw, making the overall tie 7-6. They were up 3-0 in the second leg after 18 minutes, but an own goal caused a momentum shift. If they play like that against Preston, they're going to get smoked.

Playoff final's on the 24th.

LEAGUE TWO

Two goal-filled playoff ties saw favoured Wycombe and Southend prevail in the end, with the former besting Plymouth 5-3 (3-2, 2-1), and the latter besting Stevenage 4-2 (1-1, 3-1). But the Southend-Stevenage matchup was closer than it might look on paper, as two of Southend's three goals were scored in extra time, and one was scored in the stoppage time of the second period of it. It'll be interesting to see what comes about in the final, which goes on the 23rd (last day of my hols).

CONFERENCE PREMIER

Playoff finals go on Sunday between Grimsby and Bristol Rovers!

FEEDERS

Northern Premier League

The Northerners finally got their playoffs off the ground after Enfield was stripped of its playoff position by a postseason penalty for fielding an ineligible player. Not like Metro Police did anything with it, though. :P They lost 2-1 against Hendon yesterday, a score echoed by Margate over Dulwich Hamlet. The final goes on Sunday. And honestly, I don't give a rip who wins.  :lol:  As long as it's good football, that's what matters.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #303 on: May 16, 2015, 11:23:57 PM »
Just a quick addition here: It's Middlesbrough vs. Norwich in the Championship playoff finals on the 25th. Mids thwacked Brentford 3-0 in the second leg to win the tie 5-1 on aggregate, while Norwich pulled a Southend and won 3-1 in the second leg to win the whole tie against Ipswich 4-2. Granted, they didn't need extra time to do it.  :ohyeah:

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #304 on: May 17, 2015, 11:22:14 PM »
Congratulations to:

- Bristol Rovers, who beat Grimsby 5-3 on penalties after the score in actual play finished 1-1 after 120 minutes
- Margate, who won the (incredibly delayed :P ) Isthmian League playoffs 1-0.

Some person has already got it figured out on Wikipedia who ends up where:

Conference North changes

- Alfreton, Telford, and Nuneaton down from Conference Premier
- Corby Town up from Southern League
- FCUM and Curzon Ashton up from Northern Premier League
- Oxford City transfers to Conference South

Conference South changes

- Dartford down from Conference Premier
- Truro City up from Southern League
- Maidstone and Margate up from Isthmian League
- Oxford City transfers from Conference North

Probably right, but we shall see. :P

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #305 on: May 23, 2015, 08:32:32 PM »
Sorry DC....

Yes! Southend are going up,thought it was over in extra time. They come back from the dead! :up:

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #306 on: May 24, 2015, 03:10:56 AM »
No, that's fine, and YAY SOUTHEND! :dance:

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #307 on: May 29, 2015, 03:57:52 AM »
Took too long to do this. :P

CHAMPIONSHIP

Congratulations to Norwich City, who beat Middlesbrough 2-0 to ascend to the Premier League! :)

LEAGUE ONE

Not sure whether to laugh or cry that Preston North End beat Swindon 4-0. :P In any case, they're on to the Champs.

And that's the last of this season! :up:  See you at the end of July!

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #308 on: April 01, 2016, 04:45:18 AM »
Blimey! This is what happens when you have work and health issues.  :lol:

Since we're in the home stretch of the season, I might as well at least post something. :P

CHAMPIONSHIP

Most clubs have eight matches left - six have a ninth match to go as well.

At this point it looks like a three-horse race up top, with Burnley (75) leading the way. Brighton & Hove (71) holds the other auto-promo spot, but with Middlesbrough (70) having a game in hand, who knows how long they'll be able to hang onto that? Hull (66) also has a game in hand, and while they're further long-shots for the title, their chances of getting the automatic promotion spot are still decent.

Derby (64) and Sheff Wednesday (62) are more likely looking behind themselves in the table, although the number of legitimate contenders for their playoff spots is shrinking. The most immediate threats to their hold on the spot are Cardiff (59), Ipswich (58), and Birmingham (56, game in hand), and further back, Preston (53) and QPR (51) still have something of a shot, but are more dark horse teams at present. That said, with eight/nine matches left, there are still gobs of points left.

Speaking of which, the bar of safety is still something of a moot point, sitting at 61. It will become more important as the games roll on, though.

At the low end of things, Bolton (26) almost look as if they've given up on the season. They're an even dozen behind the first team out, Fulham (38), and they've only gleaned a single point from their last five matches. They will need a miracle to survive. Charlton (32) would have to really push, but them getting to safety is more feasible. And then there are MK Dons (37), who are barely out at all. The only other side that's in immediate danger of relegation is Rotherham (39), who would still be in the red if not for a sudden run of form that now has them on a five-game unbeaten streak (4W 1D).

LEAGUE ONE

Looks like quite the scrap up top! Wigan (74) wants to bounce right back from last season's relegation, and Burton Albion (75) wants to push ever higher, much like Wigan did around a decade ago, as it reaches new heights of football form. I'd add Walsall (68) to this fracas as well, though, because of two games it has in hand. League One's games-played picture is a little skewed, what can I say? 8D

Gillingham (66) is a bit more of an outside shot for top at the moment, but that could change. They do kind of have to watch their six - as do both Millwall (65) and Bradford (64) - because with the number of games left there's still more than enough time for the likes of Barnsley (62) to catch them. There's a logjam of teams behind the Tykes, ranging from eight-place Southend (58) to thirteenth-place Sheff U (55), who could also challenge for playoff spots, but they're harder-pressed.

The bar of safety is 60 points, but it actually is thus because of the combination of points and games remaining of Blackpool (42), since that club has actually played 40 matches, one of only two clubs to have actually progressed that far in their season at this point. Fleetwood and Oldham (both 41) have played two matches fewer, and should they be able to take advantage of that they'll be out of the red in no time. Actually, Fleetwood is out, by virtue of goal differential. While Blackpool is in the most danger out of teams outside the red because of their high number of games played, Chesterfield (43), and to a lesser extent Shrewsbury (46), are likely looking back with some trepidation as well.

As for teams actually in the red, Doncaster (37) is sinking in the form quicksand as well, with the worst five-game form of any club in Div One. How's this for sad? One point in their last twelve League One matches. ONE. PERKELEEN. POINT. :P Even last-place Crewe (30) has done better than that over the same period of time! Heck, they even won in that stretch, even though they're now on a four-game losing streak. If Doncaster keeps losing - and they've dropped seven consecutive - they're boned. I am holding out some hope for Colchester U (34) though, as they've found a bit of good form, actually starting at Donny Rovers' expense with a 4-1 bollocking. You never know.

LEAGUE TWO

It's a wonder Northampton (86) haven't officially clinched first place yet, but they look uncatchable at the moment. They're thirteen clear up top, having left the likes of Oxford U (73), Plymouth Argyle (71), Bristol Rovers (70), and Accrington Stanley (68) to chew their increasing wake. It helps that they haven't lost since last December. ;) Now Pompey (63) have finally been able to gather some form in a season and are sitting in a playoff spot at the moment, four ahead of the first team out, Leyton Orient (59) and with Wycombe (61) sitting in between. They also have a game in hand.

As far as the teams outside the playoff picture go, I do also consider Carlisle (57), Wimbledon, Exeter (both 56), and Cambridge (55) to be more immediate playoff contenders. Mansfield, Luton (both 53), and Barnet (51) are more dark horse sides at this point.

On the other end, it seems like the two teams to drop this time are kind of obvious, although there is still some hope for them to survive. Dag & Red (25) and York (28) are well behind Stevenage (35) and none of these teams show any sign of improving their form. The bar of safety is a measly 49 as a result, and as such most of the table (down as far as fifteenth-place Barnet, in fact) is in the clear, and another loss for the bottom two would clear Crawley (47) as well.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

So it's not called "Conference" anymore, eh? Zippity-flipping-doo-dah. :P Same diff.

Anyway, we see yet again that two teams emerge ahead of the rest, currently being Cheltenham (86) and Forest Green (84). This is a bit deceiving, though. Grimsby (72) has three games in hand on both. If they won all three they'd be right up there as well. They actually have what I have called a "six-pointer" tomorrow against Cheltenham, so they could help their cause with a well-timed win. Or not. My name's D'Arcy, not Nostradamus. :P

The playoff battle is much closer. There's only a six-point gap between fourth-place Tranmere (69) and ninth-place Gateshead (63), and that range basically covers all the teams that I think are immediate contenders - the others are Dover (68, +20), Braintree (68, +16), Eastleigh (66), and Wrexham (65). Macclesfield (57) is picking up a bit of steam, so they could be a dark horse.

The bar of safety, though, is 58. For the same reasons as all leagues up as far as League One, the scheduling is a bit wonky at the moment, and so the four teams in the red aren't necessarily the ones who are overall the worst, as Altrincham (39) and Torquay (38) have games in hand on Boreham Wood (40) and Guiseley (42). Wish I could say the same for Welling (32) and Kidderminster (26), though. :P And then there's Halifax (also 40), who are simply lagging a bit in games played compared to everyone, and if they play their cards right they can get out of their current jam. If not... well... yeah, you know where I'm going with this. :lol:

NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH

Appearances can be deceiving here. Solihull Moors (78) have twelve points on North Ferriby United and Fylde (66), that couple of plucky relative newcomers to this level of football. They also give up two games in hand to both, not to mention to fourth-place Harrogate (61). The low end of the playoffs is where things get a little headdesk-inducing. You see, Nuneaton (56) would be in the playoffs if only they hadn't fielded an ineligible player against Corby, bringing upon themselves a three-point penalty. That's not to say that they can't just up and pass Boston (58) again, even this weekend. They have two games in hand, and although their recent form hasn't been stellar, at least they've done better than Boston over the period of the last five matches! The Pilgrims recently snapped a four-game losing streak and still give up two games in hand.

Now should they not be able to make up ground through games in hand, they'll have competition from Tamworth (also 56), Chorley (53), and to a lesser degree, Stockport (51) and Curzon Ashton (50).

Bar of safety is 56. While this is relative to Brackley's (38) max point total, with the form they've been on of late relative to everyone around them, they might not have as much to worry about as their position may suggest, although they have to be vigilant nonetheless. Hednesford and Corby (both 31) aren't all that far out of safety, but they have games in hand that they give up to those in front of them that they have to worry about as well. Lowestoft (36) is the most immediately important of these, and should they be able to make up their games in hand they'll be either ahead of, or at least contending with, Brackley. Worcester (40) and Stalybridge (42) also have those games in hand, while Telford (42) and Gloucester (43) do not. Still, Telford's on a rather amazing run of form at the moment - five game win-streak and a sixth on top of that unbeaten in National North play.

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH

More wonkiness. Ebbsfleet (75) sits atop the division, but they've also played a league-high 38 matches. I'd say Maidstone (70) and Sutton (69) are definite immediate threats, given this fact. Well behind them, but still in the playoffs, Truro (57) and Maidenhead (54) have their own problems to worry about behind them, with Oxford City, Gosport (both 52), Dartford (51), Hemel Hempstead, and Concord Rangers (50) all being in that "within six" range of the playoffs. Eastbourne's (47) a bit of a dark horse.

Bar of safety is 56, which will drop dramatically in the coming weeks due to makeup matches for the aforementioned wonkiness. :P Poor Basingstoke (30), though. They've got a hard fight ahead to stay afloat. Sure, having games in hand helps, but when the team right ahead of you does as well, it isn't quite so fun. Weston-super-Mare (37) has the same number of games in hand, and the team at the top of the read, St. Albans (38), is on blistering form, having won four in a row. If anything, it's teams like Hayes & Yeading (41) who should really be worried, since their form is kinda crappy at the moment, and they're one of three teams - along with Margate (44) and Eastbourne (47) - that have played 37 matches, one more than the league median/mean number.

In short, the relegation-avoidance race is going to be a real cracker.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #309 on: April 15, 2016, 04:32:11 AM »
Update time!

CHAMPIONSHIP

Five matches to go for most teams.

Middlesbrough (82) has strung together some very good form to pass Burnley (80) and take top spot in the Champs, but they can't really let up, either. Brighton & Hove (78) is still looking dangerous up top as well. Hull (70) is a bit behind, even with their game in hand. Speaking of Hull, they, Derby (70), and Sheff W (68) are looking more like playoff teams, but even with five matches left for most of them, Cardiff (63) can still catch them. To be fair, mathematical contenders like far-off Wolverhampton (53) are extreme long-shots and should be treated thus. Cardiff, Ipswich (60), and Birmingham (59) are more likely, but even the latter two of those are starting to lose ground and are probably long-shots themselves.

The bar of safety, by the way, is 52. Not that it matters to Bolton (26), who are already doomed to relegation. Actually, the gap between top red-zoner MK Dons (37) and last safe teams Rotherham, Nottingham Forest, and Huddersfield (all 46), is such that we could see relegation locked up in two more games. If both MK Dons and Rotherham (36) lose even two of their last five, that's it.

LEAGUE ONE

Wigan (80) has since gone past Burton Albion (76), whose form has taken a wee dive since my last update. Walsall (71) still has a game in hand, but their form hasn't been without its flaws of late, which isn't going to cut it in a championship race against a team that hasn't lost since December (Wigan). At this point, they'd be better off turning their eyes backward towards the playoff race, since they're just six points ahead of first team out Barnsley (65). The teams behind the Tykes are a bit harder pressed to catch Gillingham (68), the bottom playoff team, but nonetheless Rochdale (61) and a whole host of sides with 59 points can't yet be ruled out. Bradford (70) and Millwall (69) hold the other two spots.

The bar of safety is 57. Blackpool (45) is now officially in the red, and while they are within a point of Shrewsbury (46), they also give up two games in hand to the same, plus they give up a game in hand to everyone else save Port Vale (59) who are already out of their reach. :P What this doesn't mean is that the likes of Shrewsbury, Fleetwood (also 46), Oldham (47), and Chesterfield (49) can breathe easy. I'd suggest even Swindon (51) should be keeping an eye over the shoulder, so to speak.

Crewe (30) is doomed to relegation. Doncaster and Colchester (both 38) still have some semblace of a chance, but it shrinks every time they lose.

LEAGUE TWO

You had to see this coming. Northampton (88) has just been too good for everyone else. Their draw against fourth-place Bristol Rovers (72) clinched them automatic promotion to League One for next season, and another win would give them the League Two championship, as second-place Oxford United (76) isn't really that much closer to them! Accrington Stanley (74) holds down the third auto-promo spot at present, but it will be close in the late going, with Bristol Rovers, Plymouth Argyle (71), and even Portsmouth (69) still being quite close - closer to auto-promos, in fact, than to the closest non-playoff team.

Mathematically, Notts County (48) is the lowest team in the table that can still make the playoffs, but realistically, the lowest team I'd give a shot at it is Barnet (54). It's going to be a wild finish, though, with last playoff team Wimbledon (62, +10) only holding the spot by goal differential over Wycombe (62, +6) and Exeter (62, +4). Furthermore, there are Carlisle (60, +2), Leyton Orient (60, -1), and Cambridge (59), all within a win.

Not quite thus at the other end, with the bar of safety sitting at a paltry 45. If not for a surprise win against Morecambe, last place Dag & Red (28) would be knocking on relegation's door already. York (30) isn't doing much better, being nine points behind the first team out, Stevenage (39). Everyone as far down as 18th place is safe for next season.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

One more win. That's all Cheltenham (92) needs to clinch the National League title. Their absurdly good goal differential (+52) would carry them the rest of the way, since there are only three matches left and second-place Forest Green (86) would need to score an equally absurd ten goals per match to pass them. (Well, minus one or two, anyway :lol: ) That said, Green seems to have forgotten how to actually win a match. Grimsby (76) blew their chance to be championship contenders, and will have to be content with jockeying for position in the playoff realm. They still do have a game in hand on third-place Dover (78), but they also have to watch behind them - Tranmere (72, +16), Braintree (72, +13), and Eastleigh (71) are jockeying for the last playoff spot and could still get up high enough in the last three matches to topple them. Wrexham (66) and Gateshead (64) are still mathematically in it, but are extreme long-shots at this point.

The bar of safety is 50 on the dot, which means that everyone as far down as 16th is in the clear for next season. Kidderminster and Welling (both 35) would already both be relegated if not for recent victories. Halifax (43) has a game in hand on Boreham Wood (41, -10) and Altrincham (41, -25) but also has the joint-worst goal differential in the league (with Welling, -26), so they need to smarten up fast or they'll be, in the words of Chevelle, seeing red again. :P Chester (45), Guiseley (46), and Torquay (47) are also in danger.

NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH

Solihull Moors (84) has clinched the NL North championship, being far enough ahead of Fylde (71, 3 matches left) and North Ferriby U (70, 4 matches left).

Again, Nuneaton (61) would be in the playoffs now if not for that infamous points penalty. But on the plus side, they have a game in hand and far superior goal differential to the team they're chasing, Boston (64). Let's be honest here. No penalty and Nuneaton would have that spot by a goal-differential differential (YO DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE DIFFERENTIAL  :ohyeah: ) of 14. Theoretically, they could even finish as high as second. Very improbable, but possible.

There are only two other teams that are capable of even making the playoffs - Tamworth (59) and Chorley (56). If Boston beats Harrogate in their next match, Chorley's toast.

The bar of safety is 52. But that's relative to Brackley rather than Lowestoft (both 40), since Lowestoft seems to be a bit behind on matches. What the crap?  ???  Not that this matters to last-place Corby (31), because even a point for either Brackley or Lowestoft in their last matches will spell relegation for them. Hednesford (34) isn't looking great, either. Of the three in the red, it seems only match-laggards Lowestoft really have much of a chance of staying afloat.

As for those out of the red, Telford (43) is the one in the most immediate danger, while Gloucester (45) and a trio of teams at 46 are also needing to be careful.

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH

Almost a two-horse race, now. Sutton (81, +46) and Ebbsfleet (81, +37) are even in the points atop the South, and they've both almost shaken slumping Maidstone (73) off completely. Two points for either team means Maidstone can't win the divisional championship. They are a lock for the playoffs, though, being more than ahead enough of Maidenhead (57). Now fourth-place Truro (60) needs to start playing those games in hand that they've been amassing from the number of postponements they've had, jockeying for rank, and getting ahead of the game. Most teams in the div only have three matches left. They have six. (There is also a team with only two, that being Ebbsfleet. That could bite them in the botty. :P )

As for teams that can still make the playoffs from outside, there are still quite a few, including a couple who are still in by virtue of scheduling lags. Hemel Hempstead (58) is the most immediate target, and they're being chased by Maidenhead, Dartford, (both 57, +6), Gosport (56), Oxford City (53, +13), Concord Rangers (53, E), and Whitehawk (51), who has two matches in hand on most of the pack, having played just one more match than Truro.

At the other end, Basingstoke (31) just didn't have it in them to stay up, but they never did actually quit per se, given the close scores of their most recent matches. The bar of safety is 51, although I can't see any of those red-zoners catching Whitehawk! It is going to be incredibly close in determining the other two drop-spots, as red-zoners Havant & Waterlooville and Hayes & Yeading (both 42) have the same number of points as St. Albans (also 42), and only two more than ice-cold Margate and Bath (both 44). Seriously, Margate is on a nine-match losing streak! St. Albans, inversely, is quite on-form at the moment relative to their neighbours, having a 5W 1D 1L record in their last seven outings.

Gonna be interesting!

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #310 on: April 17, 2016, 03:59:50 AM »
Update:

CHAMPIONSHIP

TOP RUNG: After Cardiff (64) drew earlier today (or yesterday for you Brits), Brighton & Hove (81) has clinched at least a playoff spot. The great thing is, they didn't even need to do anything, but they did anyway! :P They handed Fulham a 5-0 kick in the trousers. All three top teams won, though, meaning that Middlesbrough (85) is still top and Burnley (83) is still in second.

PLAYOFF RACE: QPR (56), Leeds (54), Brentford, and Wolverhampton (both 53) have been eliminated from contention.

RELEGATION RACE: The bar of safety is 50. Charlton (36) is at relegation's door, knocking loudly, after losing to Derby. Anything less than a victory on Tuesday and they're done-diddly-doodly-done for. Here's a scenario for you - if MK Dons (38) lose and the four teams they are chasing, Rotherham, Fulham, Nottingham Forest, and Blackburn (all 47) draw, on Tuesday, relegation is officially locked in.

LEAGUE ONE

TOP RUNGS: I have to say, this Saturday session really made things closer up top. You see, had Wigan (80) done the expected and beaten Donny Rovers (41), they would have been six clear of Burton (77) and nine clear of Walsall (74) at the conclusion of the day's affairs. But no, they actually lost. Not only does this really tighten things up top, with Walsall still having that ever-important game-in-hand and also another win under their belts (over Southend), but it breathes new life into Doncaster's push to stay afloat. Some silver lining? With Barnsley's (66) scoreless draw against Burton, Wigan can no longer finish any lower than the last playoff spot. Had Burton won that match, they too would have clinched their at-least-a-playoff-spot status and pulled even with hapless Wigan in the points.

PLAYOFF RACE: a number of mid-table teams won on the Saturday session, meaning that, in spite of the low number of games left, the lowest team that can qualify for the playoffs is all the way down in fifteenth place - Bury (57) - although I'd still call them long-shots. This was helped by the fact that the only playoff-spot team that actually won was Walsall; Bradford (71) drew, and Millwall (69) and Gillingham (68) both lost. Barnsley made some ground up on them with their draw, but they also now have their rivals closing on them - the likes of Rochdale (64), Sheff U, Sc*nthorpe, Port Vale (all 62), and so forth.

RELEGATION RACE: The bar of safety is 54. As mentioned earlier, the big move was Doncaster's shock win over first-place Wigan, and while they still have a ways to go to catch Shrewsbury, or more likely, Fleetwood (both 47, but Shrewsbury has a game in hand), six points are easier to make up than nine. :P Blackpool (45) doesn't look good at the moment, having played more matches than most other teams in the league and now being two back of present safety. Now with the shift in the bar of safety, Bury and Peterborough (both 57) are clear, both teams also having won.

LEAGUE TWO

TOP RUNG: That is it! Northampton (89) are officially this year's League Two champions! This comes after Oxford United (76) lost against Luton (59), and Northampton got a point against playoff hopefuls Exeter (63). Automatic promotion is still close, with four teams (mainly) competing for the other two spots:

(42) 2. Oxford United - 76
(42) 3. Bristol Rovers - 75, +25
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(42) 4. Accrington Stanley - 75, +21
(42) 5. Plymouth Argyle - 74
(41) 6. Portsmouth - 69
(41) 7. AFC Wimbledon - 65
-------------------------------------
(42) 8. Wycombe Wanderers - 63, +6
(42) 9. Exeter City - 63, +4
(42) 10. Leyton Orient - 63, E

In the interest of fairness I added those who are still able to mathematically qualify, although even so much as a draw from either Bristol or Accrington Stanley come Tuesday will eliminate those teams outside of playoff spots. Of course, this would also clinch at least a playoff spot for the same.

PLAYOFF RACE: I think the above chart makes it go without saying that the teams gunning for the playoffs are chasing Wimbledon first and foremost. Oxford has already clinched at least a playoff spot and it would take only a draw for Bristol or Accrington Stanley, and a win for Plymouth, for those teams to do likewise. Of course, it would also help if all three of the immediate outsiders drop points. :P Plymouth could do themselves a favour in a sense, since they play Leyton Orient on Tuesday.

What could help Wimbledon and Portsmouth is their game in hand. They're the only teams in League Two that have 'em at the moment, and they make it up on 26 April against one another. If Pompey wins this, Wimbledon is in a bit of a bind! :P

As such, 15th-place Barnet is the lowest team that can still make the playoffs, but a Wimbledon win - likely, given their last-place opponents Dag & Red (28) - will eliminate them. Not only that, but a Wimbledon win would put pressure on Luton and Mansfield (both 59) to win, as a loss in that situation would all but eliminate them and a draw wouldn't be much help either.

RELEGATION RACE: Not really a race at all at this point. Dag & Red is already relegated, and even sagging Newport County (41) will be in the clear should York (30) lose or even draw. Considering York's next opponent is Portsmouth, I can see a strong likelihood - albeit not a foregone conclusion until the final whistle, of course - of relegation being locked up by Tuesday.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

TOP RUNG: The Nat-League is a bit further along, and they too have a champion - Cheltenham! (95) Forest Green (86) blew it in the end, with a bizarre draw streak coming to an end with a loss to mid-table Woking (55). With that said, they have locked up a playoff spot pretty securely.[/font]

PLAYOFF RACE: Forest Green aside, the playoff race is still surprisingly tight considering most teams only have two matches left. Eastleigh (74) has a game in hand on two of the three other playoff holders (Grimsby (77) being the exception) and can max out at 83 points. Tranmere (72) on the other hand, can only max out at 78, so if both Braintree (75) and Grimsby win, Tranmere's toast. Braintree will be in tough, though. Their next opponent is Wrexham (69), who are barely clinging to playoff life and will want to make the most of their last two matches. Wrexham has to beat both Braintree and Barrow (61) and hope Braintree loses against red-zoners Altrincham (41), so it seems the odds are stacked against them.

RELEGATION RACE: The bar of safety, which is relative to Boreham Wood (44) rather than Halifax (43) due to the latter's game in hand, is 50. Torquay (50) does need a point to clear themselves, since Boreham Wood has a far superior goal differential. This is also problematic for Altrincham. Although mathematically they can top out at 47, if they lose once they're done in anyway, provided Boreham Wood doesn't lose by an astronomically improbable score close to 20 goals :lol: (I don't like Altrincham anyway, so I hope Boreham Wood puts them out of my misery. :P ) Not surprisingly, Kidderminster (36) and Welling (35) are now relegation-bound. Halifax and Altrincham are still very much alive, but for how long? One more thing - Chester can pull clear with a win.

NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH

We already know Solihull (84) has won the division, so let's proceed to...

PLAYOFF RACE: North Ferriby (73) and Fylde (71) have clinched their playoff spots, with Harrogate (69) and Boston (65) holding down the other two at present. With Nuneaton (61) now behind even further on playing its matches, though, those two should be somewhat concerned, as should Tamworth (62). Other than those two, though, no outside teams are playoff-eligible. While Boston and Harrogate drew, Chorley did as well - with lowly Brackley (41).

RELEGATION RACE: In spite of stunning first-place Solihull, Hednesford (37) is clinging to life in the red, and if two of Brackley, Lowestoft (both 41) and Telford (43) hit 44, that's it for them and they're down to the feeders. Because of games in hand, though, the battle between those three to stay out of that last relegation spot is going to be very interesting. The bar of safety is 50, which encompasses quite a few teams, but that will change on Tuesday, when eight clubs go toe-to-toe.

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH

TOP RUNG: It's down to Sutton (84) and Ebbsfleet (81) in the championship race, since the former beat the latter earlier today and thus eliminated Maidstone (76) in spite of the fact that they also won.

PLAYOFF RACE: While Truro (60) is the lowest team in the playoffs, though, I'd argue that, unless they lose all three of their games in hand, the teams on the outside are really chasing Hemel Hempstead (61). Speaking of games in hand, Whitehawk (54) remains alive in the playoff race after winning one of them. Wish I could say the same for Oxford City (53) - they lost against Hemel Hempstead and have been eliminated, a fate Concord Rangers (54) will share with them if they lose against Truro on Tuesday. Whitehawk has an extra game in hand, so they have a bit more wiggle room, so to speak. Gosport (56) picked up a knock by losing. Maidenhead and Dartford (both 58) are the most likely challengers to Hemel Hempstead and Truro at this point.[/font]

RELEGATION RACE: Oh man is this close. Other than already-relegated Basingstoke (32), nothing is even close to certain. Havant & Waterlooville (42) has a game in hand, and if they can make it up fully they'll be golden. Margate continues to lose, extending the streak to ten and looking more and more like they may just go under. I would hazard a guess that this streak will continue next week against Hemel Hempstead. Hayes & Yeading (43) is also very close to safety. Margate, being the first team out of the red, must really be feeling the heat after losing 4-1 against Bishop's Stortford, which simultaneously pushed the latter to safety. (Bar of safety is 50.)

FEEDERS

Poole Town has won the Southern Premier League, and will play in the National League South next season. :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:05:56 AM by DC76 »

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #311 on: April 23, 2016, 02:06:08 AM »
Mini-update:

CHAMPIONSHIP

- Cardiff (64) loses, clinching playoff spots for Hull City and Derby County (both 76), who also both won.
- Birmingham (60) and Preston North End (58) eliminated from playoff contention.- Bar of safety is 48. Five teams (Blackburn (GD -3), Nottingham Forest (-7), Fulham (-9), Rotherham U (-13), and Bristol City (-20)) sitting right at that.
- Charlton Athletic (37) doomed to relegation and MK Dons (39) not looking too much better; one team of the five sitting at 48 points needs to lose all three (most likely Bristol City) and MK Dons needs to win all three of its last matches (Brentford, Ipswich, and Nottingham Forest), in order for that team to stay up.

LEAGUE ONE

- Not much change up top.
- Southend (59), Peterborough, and Bury (both 57) eliminated from playoff contention.
- Bar of safety is 53.
- Colchester United (39) needs to win all its remaining matches to stay up; even a draw would doom them to relegation.

LEAGUE TWO

- Still a very close race for the other two auto-qualifier spots; all teams with at least a playoff spot at this point have a theoretical chance of claiming one. Portsmouth (69) and Wimbledon (68) have games in hand on the five teams ahead of them, and of those, only Northampton (now 92) are a sure lock for League One next season.
- Barnet (58) eliminated from playoff contention.
- York (33) are still clinging to life after a surprise win over Portsmouth. Still unlikely they'll stay afloat as even one point for Newport County (42) means they're toast.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

- Grimsby (80) are ever-so-close to clinching a playoff spot after beating Woking on Tuesday.

NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH

- Nuneaton (64) won one of its games in hand (against Gloucester) to keep up somewhat with Boston (65) in the playoff race.
- Telford (44) drew against Brackley (42) and Lowestoft (also 44) beat Worcester (47), eliminating Hednesford (37) from the National League North.

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH

- Concord Rangers (54) are out of playoff contention.

FEEDERS

- Darlington 1883, the "successor team" to folded Darlington FC, have won the Northern League and promotion to the National League North. :)
- Last game-day of the regular season is tomorrow in the Northern and Isthmian Leagues, and for most of the Southern Premier League as well - four teams have makeup matches on Tuesday, none of which are in contention for playoff spots. :P

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #312 on: April 24, 2016, 07:05:44 AM »
Mini-update:

CHAMPIONSHIP

- There is now a three-way battle up-top, with Burnley, Middlesbrough, and Brighton & Hove all having 87 points. This comes after Middlesbrough managed a mere draw against Ipswich (63)
- Speaking of Ipswich, they're now out of playoff contention, leaving only Cardiff (67) as a team outside the playoffs that can still make it.
- Relegation is now locked in, as MK Dons' (39) loss against Brentford damns them to relegation.

LEAGUE ONE

- Wigan Athletic (84) have all but clinched promotion to the Championship. If Walsall (75) blows another game in hand like they did today, that will do it. If Walsall drops any points, not only is Wigan in for sure, but Burton Albion (81) would join them by taking just one of the last six points of the season.
- Gillingham's (69) loss against Shrewsbury (50) has left Walsall in a situation where they can clinch at least a playoff spot with a point. Of course they'll be going for the win and pushing for that automatic promotion spot!
- Furthermore, Millwall (also 75) can clinch a spot with a point, and Bradford (74) can lock up a playoff spot with a win.
- Coventry (63) is out of playoff contention.
- Colchester United (39) is doomed to relegation.

LEAGUE TWO

- all teams in the playoff-plus zone won except for Plymouth Argyle (77); all still in the running for automatic promotion. :P
- Cambridge United (66) is the only team left outside of the playoffs that can make them, and their hopes are also fading fast. Wimbledon (71) and Portsmouth (72) play each other in a game-in-hand resolution match on Tuesday, if Wimbledon wins that, Cambridge is basically toast.
- York City's (33) slim hopes of staying afloat in the Football League were snuffed out with authority by Accrington Stanley, who beat them 3-0. They would have been relegated regardless, as Newport County (43) drew against Luton (63).

NATIONAL LEAGUE

- Grimsby and Dover (both 80) have clinched playoff spots; this in spite of the former losing. With just one match left, Braintree (78) only needs a draw to seal up the final playoff spot; should they lose, Tranmere (75) can snatch the spot from them at the last moment by merely winning. Should they also lose, Eastleigh (also 75) would need to win by no fewer than three goals to get the playoff spot, but a playoff spot is still somewhat possible.
- a 5-0 drubbing of Welling (35) keeps Altrincham (44) alive, if only just. Halifax (47) needs a point to ensure safety, but since it's highly unlikely that Boreham Wood will get flattened by Welling or that Altrincham would flatten Braintree (especially given their circumstances :lol: ), I think we can count Boreham Wood as more or less safe from being overtaken by Altrincham. Guiseley (46), on the other hand...

NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH

- Boston (65) are now on the outside looking in, and at that, the only such team that can still make the playoffs. Nuneaton (67) can actually eliminate them from playoff contention by defeating Bradford Park Avenue (50) on Wednesday. This comes after Nuneaton beat Boston 2-1.
- Lowestoft (45) can doom Brackley (43) to relegation by beating North Ferriby (73) on Tuesday. Yeah, easier said than done. :ohyeah:

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH

- Sutton (87) clinched the Nat League South title with a 2-0 win over Ebbsfleet.
- Truro's (63) loss to already-relegated Basingstoke (35) does present some concern to the southwestern side, but with that said, they still have two games in hand to make up, as most teams in the division have just one match left to play. They play red-hot Whitehawk (60) next (white-hot? :P ) who are just one point out of the playoffs after winning their fifth straight. They still have Hemel Hempstead (61) as a buffer as well. They also have an extra match this week, playing red-zoners Havant & Waterlooville (45) on Thursday.
- Margate (47) snapped a lengthy losing streak by shocking the aforementioned Hemel Hempstead with a 4-3 victory. But they aren't out of the woods just yet, with the bar of safety at 49.
- Hayes & Yeading (43) are all but done; they need a miracle to catch St. Albans (46) because of the massive goal differential disparity between the two, and they're up against mid-table Gosport (56) in their closer.

FEEDERS

- With the exception of two rather inconsequential matches in the Southern Premier's lower ranks, the seasons are over. Here's how things line up:

Champs

Isthmian - Hampton & Richmond Borough (95)
Southern - Poole Town (93)
Northern - Darlington 1883 (104)

Playoffs

Isthmian - (2) Bognor Regis Town vs. (5) Dulwich Hamlet; (3) East Thurrock U vs. (4) Tonbridge Angels
Southern - (2) Redditch U vs. (5) Leamington; (3) Hitchin Town vs. (4) Hungerford Town
Northern - (2) Blyth Spartans vs. (5) Workington; (3) Salford City vs. (4) Ashton U

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #313 on: May 01, 2016, 02:30:36 AM »
Mini-update:

(Will do Championship and League One Monday, since some pretty important matches have been scheduled for that day)

LEAGUE TWO

- The race for the remaining two auto-qualifier spots is down to three teams, Accrington Stanley (84), Oxford U (83), and Bristol Rovers (82). It will be close at the end, although a certain disadvantage lies with Oxford, since they have the last-day opponents highest in the table of the three, Wycombe (64). Whoever loses out in the three-way battle will have the top seed in the playoffs.
- The playoff race is more or less over; the last team in at least playoff position - Wimbledon (72) - is too far ahead for last team out Cambridge (67) to catch. It's down to position-jockeying now.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

It's over, ladies and gentlemen!

- Cheltenham finish the season in triple digits (101) after a 3-1 win over Lincoln, their 30th of the season. They finished the season with a run of form where they won five in a row and six of their final seven.
- Braintree (81) not only clinches the last playoff spot, but leapfrogs Grimsby and Dover (both 80) to claim home pitch second-leg by finishing third. Here's the matchups:

(2) Forest Green (89) vs. (5) Dover Athletic (80, +22)
(3) Braintree (81) vs. (4) Grimsby Town (80, +37)

- Halifax (48) couldn't quite keep step. The northern side was relegated on account of wins from Boreham Wood (50) and Guiseley (49). Even if they hadn't won, though, Altrincham (44) would still have been eliminated, especially after their loss to Braintree. No sympathy from me. I can't stand Altrincham. :P My best guess is that it will be the two teams behind Altrincham, Welling U (35) and Kidderminster (40), that will be playing Nat League South next year, while Altrincham and Halifax will play Nat League North.

NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH

- Boston (71) survived the late Nuneaton (70) charge. Oh what could have been had they not fielded that ineligible player. :P Oh well. Here are the playoff matchups:

(2) North Ferriby U (76) vs. (5) Boston U (71)
(3) AFC Fylde (75) vs. (4) Harrogate (72)

- Brackley (46, -9) made a dramatic last push to freedom after Lowestoft (46, -20) blew its games in hand and finished the season with a 1-1 draw against Gloucester (50). Brackley, on the other hand, won 1-0 against Tamworth - not only a huge upset, but a match that will make Glenn Walker a Brackley legend.

It'll be interesting to see where the relegated teams end up. Yes, Lowestoft is squarely within Isthmian League territory, and Hednesford is squarely within Northern Premier League territory, but Corby could go to either the Northern Premier or Southern Leagues as they're in the "swing zone."

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH

- Ya gotta hand it to Whitehawk (64). They played their butts off down the stretch, dropping just two points out of the last 21 and beating their playoff-race rivals Hemel Hempstead (61) with authority to close out the season, to the tune of 3-0. Truro (65) were able to hang onto their playoff spot in spite of sloppy form late. The matchups:

(2) Ebbsfleet U (84) vs. (5) Whitehawk (64)
(3) Maidstone U (77) vs. (4) Truro City (65)

- That late win for Margate (47, -22) did the trick in the end, as they held on by one goal's difference in goal differential  :o  to stay afloat, after Havant & Waterlooville (47, -23) managed a mere draw against Weston-super-Mare (51). Hayes & Yeading (46) finished with a win although they were already consigned to relegation.

Who goes where? My best guess is that Hayes & Yeading joins Lowestoft in Isthmian next season while Basingstoke and H&W go to the Southern League (which in turn would force Corby north).

That said, the crap do I know? :P

FEEDERS

Perkele... I can't even blink without the playoffs whipping right by down at this level!  :lol:  The Northern Premier League playoffs are already done, with Salford City winning the playoffs with a 3-2 win over Workington, who had previously upset top playoff seed Blyth Spartans.

How's this for bizarre, though? Not a single top playoff seed survived the opening round. Bognor Regis and Redditch suffered the same fate as their Northern counterparts from Blyth. Actually, of the six home-pitch advantage teams, only two got past the first round (Salford being one). The Isthmian final features one of these, with East Thurrock beating Tonbridge Angels 2-0 to face Dulwich Hamlet in Monday's final. The Southern League has a final of first-round away teams, though. Hungerford edged Hitchin 3-2, while Redditch lost to Leamington on penalties.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #314 on: May 02, 2016, 11:37:27 PM »
Mini-update:

CHAMPIONSHIP

- Burnley (90) has pulled ahead in the championship race, as they won and fellow title contenders Middlesbrough and Brighton & Hove (both 88) drew. Middlesbrough has the edge on goal differential (+22 vs. +20) and this will possibly come into play as the two play each other on closing day. ZOMGDRAMAZ!!!  8D  Burnley plays relegated Charlton Athletic (40), so their chances of winning the League Championship are pretty good. Still, they have to take this match seriously. A loss would put them out of the championship spot, although they have clinched promotion because, as I said, Midds and B&H play each other on closing day, so it's impossible for both to win. :P

- Playoff spots plus are now locked in. Cardiff (67) lost, clinching a playoff spot for Sheffield Wednesday (74), who are also stuck in sixth and awaiting whoever loses the Middlesbrough-Brighton matchup. Hull (80) and Derby (78), therefore, are playing each other as well, and all that remains is to see who gets advantage. If both teams have equal results, obviously, it's advantage Hull, but Derby can take the second leg home if Hull loses against Rotherham - highly unlikely given how low they are in the table, but still possible. That's football for ya. ;)

LEAGUE ONE

Wigan (87) are on the up back to the Championship!  :dance:  (I've had a soft spot for them since the captain of Canada's Golden Generation, Jason DeVos, played for them) They haven't, however, clinched the League One title, although they may as well have given what Burton Albion (84) have to do to catch them. Now sure, they're playing red-zoners Doncaster (45). But Doncaster will be playing desperate football in hopes that last-place Crewe (34) will do what Walsall (81) did and beat Fleetwood, by a significant-enough margin to bridge the ten-goal differential gap and keep their chances alive. It's a slim chance, yes, even astronomically improbable. But compare that to the gap between Wigan and Burton, which is twice that size. That's right. Wigan's +40, Burton's +20.

It's not like Wigan has it completely easy themselves, as they will be facing a Barnsley (71, +13) team who is going to fight tooth and nail to keep their playoff spot. While the aforementioned Walsall still has a shot at automatic promotion, Millwall (78) and Bradford (77) have to be content for jockeying for position. Walsall could always lose to mid-table Port Vale (65), which would allow Millwall or potentially even Bradford to pass them for top playoff spot.

Now, although their form has dropped them out of the playoffs for now, Gillingham (69) still has one last shot at the playoffs. They have to beat Millwall and hope Sc*nthorpe and Barnsley both lose; an entirely possible scenario given that Barnsley faces first-place Wigan, and Sc*nthorpe faces a Sheffield United (66) side that until two days ago were themselves still very much in the playoff race. With this in mind, though, Sc*nthorpe's only lost once in their last seven matches.

It's going to be a photo finish at the bottom. If Crewe does somehow beat Fleetwood, then both Doncaster and Blackpool (46) could potentially pass them, although the odds are against them because of goal differential. If Fleetwood even gets a draw, it's curtains for Donny Rovers and Blackpool would have the unenviable task of beating Peterborough (60) by fourteen goals. :lol:

NATIONAL LEAGUE "PREMIER"/NORTH/SOUTH

Playoffs start Wednesday in every division and for every matchup except Braintree-Grimsby, which starts Thursday.

FEEDERS

Congratulations to East Thurrock United (Isthmian) and Hungerford Town (Southern) who won their respective leagues' playoffs and gained promotion!  :up:

So who will play where next season as far as teams going up are concerned? Here's my predictions:

To Nat League North

Darlington 1883 (Northern Prem)
Salford City (Northern Prem)

To Nat League South

Hampton & Richmond Borough (Isthmian)
Poole Town (Southern)
Hungerford Town (Southern)
East Thurrock United (Isthmian)

Because of the number of deep southern teams promoted, I have to change my tune on Kidderminster. I think they'll be playing in the North next year. Who else would they transfer over to North? Bishop's Stortford? Oxford City? Nope. Because Harriers are in the "swing zone," they would have gone south if a team from further north within the Southern or Isthmian leagues (given this year's playoffs, only Southern sides Leamington FC or Redditch U would have qualified) had gotten promotion from the playoffs.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!