SpursNetwork

Spurs 1 Monaco 2

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Spurs 1 Monaco 2
« on: September 15, 2016, 04:38:36 PM »
We gave two easy goals away, that was part of the bad news. Kane wasn't fully match fit and was mis**tting or misfiring. Overall I thought Spurs were the better side. We had 64% of the match. We had 6 shots on target to their one and 11 corners. But we didn't win and have all to play for. Pochettino said we didn't have "passion". I thought they struggled on the Wembley pitch. Ars*nal, when they used Wembley, had a disastrous campaign (winning only two).

Mousa Dembele should have been on from the start, when coming on he made a world of difference. I didn't agree and was shocked that Son started (probably because he scored two goals against Stoke).

I thought that bringing on Sissoko made a difference. It isn't over, but a uphill battle. Spurs need to beat Monaco on their ground and not lose anymore matches.

A great ground, great attendance and exciting to be there. All Spurs fans made a difference. Monaco gave 1,000 tickets back. When everybody was sinking it was deafening. Apart from the result, a great evening and well worth it.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Spurs 1 Monaco 2
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 08:14:01 AM »
One or two things I don't understand here.

We conceded two really sloppy goals. Alright for the first one, Lamela gave the ball away, but we still had defenders behind the ball, but Verthonghen didn't do his job properly. And for the second goal, Vertonghen again didn't deal with a ball into the box. Now I am not knocking Verthonghen particularly, but what is going on with Kevin Wimmer ?? Last season he stood in for JVT and our defence never looked better. He is far stronger in the air for a start. Then JVT comes straight back into the side, and we collapse at the end of the season. Correct me if I am wrong, but the rock solid defence of last year no longer looks as good.
Next, we spend large amounts of money on Wanyama, Sissoco and Jansenn, only to start with Deli Ali as DM which he clearly isn't, Lamela on right wing when he is hit and miss, and Kane up front, who for the last 10 or so games couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.
Surely if we had started with Wanyama/Dembele next to Dier, Wimmer at left CB, Sissoko Ali and Eriksen, and Jansen up front we might well have smashed Monaco, as our errors and lack of shape made them look good.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Spurs 1 Monaco 2
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 02:01:09 PM »
One or two things I don't understand here.

We conceded two really sloppy goals. Alright for the first one, Lamela gave the ball away, but we still had defenders behind the ball, but Verthonghen didn't do his job properly. And for the second goal, Vertonghen again didn't deal with a ball into the box. Now I am not knocking Verthonghen particularly, but what is going on with Kevin Wimmer ?? Last season he stood in for JVT and our defence never looked better. He is far stronger in the air for a start. Then JVT comes straight back into the side, and we collapse at the end of the season. Correct me if I am wrong, but the rock solid defence of last year no longer looks as good.
Next, we spend large amounts of money on Wanyama, Sissoco and Jansenn, only to start with Deli Ali as DM which he clearly isn't, Lamela on right wing when he is hit and miss, and Kane up front, who for the last 10 or so games couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.
Surely if we had started with Wanyama/Dembele next to Dier, Wimmer at left CB, Sissoko Ali and Eriksen, and Jansen up front we might well have smashed Monaco, as our errors and lack of shape made them look good.

I think it was more of a case of nervousness and playing on such a big and unknown pitch. I also think they will learn from this and back quickly on track.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.