SpursNetwork

How things could have been if we weren't a selling club.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
How things could have been if we weren't a selling club.
« on: September 07, 2015, 07:49:41 PM »
I was reading an article that said; if we weren't a selling club what sort of team we would have been.

1. Lloris 2 Davies 3 Vertonghen 4 Adlerweireld 5 Walker 6 Modric 7 Carrick 8 Eriksen 9 Bale 10 Kane 11 Berbatov.

I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Don

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: How things could have been if we weren't a selling club.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 04:34:57 PM »
Howdy voice,
Did you know that in the 60s we were known as the 'Bank of England' because we had the money to buy what we wanted. Now we've got a name as a selling club. Is this linked to a bigger stadium? Hard assed job this director business, I would imagine. I am happy on the fans side, than making such decisions that could do immense damage.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 11:38:15 PM »
Where would we be now if we still had Bale, Modric & VanderVart?

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 11:13:41 AM »
Well, van der Vaart is playing for the recently promoted Real Betis these days, so I don't think he would matter much. Bale and Modrić, however...

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »
To be fair anyone other than city , utd or chelsea are a selling club these days.Ars*nal may have paid £40 mill for ozel but they`ve sold just as many big name players as we have over the last 10 years.The basic statemewnt is true though.The club now operates purely as a business.Levy likes to buy young players with sell on potential not proven , experienced players who would want big wages.
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »
Balancing the books is paramount into keeping our club afloat but for many years now we have never replaced quality out with quality in! far to many rush buys and gamble mediocre players, Bales transfer is prime example!!!, how we blew £110M on what was supposed to be our real push to get a top4 finish or better begs belief!, it seems Levys idea is to buy so many youngster and find another Bale then CHING CHING!!! another big pay day!, players like Bale are few and far between,yes we need yourth but we must have balance and experience, having these  is just as important as having  youth as these are the players who will teach and guide the new prospects through and if there was some youngsters idols in the team this would help attract them to the club.
Its all guess work at the end of the day and we will never know what might have been so all we can wish for is mistakes gone by, are forgotten for the greater good that hopefully will come sooner than later. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:40:20 AM by Blackjack »
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 08:18:45 AM »
I don't really agree we 'blew' £100m - Eriksen has been an important player and so has Chadli. How could anyone have predicted that experienced and respectable international players such as Paulinho, Soldado and Capoue would turn out to be a poor piece of business? The only real question marks were Lamela because of his age and fee and Chriches who joined from a league of lower quality. That's the way it is with transfers - sometimes they work out, but more than often they don't. I think Veron, Forlan, Schevchenko, Torres (at Chelsea), Mutu and quite a few others are the prime examples of transfers that didn't work out although they should have.

Offline Ruth

• Hero: Harry Kane
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 12:23:13 PM »
I think we spent the money we did because Bale was sold and that upset a lot of the fans so Levy thought that he would make some hay out of it. But some we still have some good players out of it. :hide: 8)

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 04:27:20 PM »
I don't really agree we 'blew' £100m - Eriksen has been an important player and so has Chadli. How could anyone have predicted that experienced and respectable international players such as Paulinho, Soldado and Capoue would turn out to be a poor piece of business? The only real question marks were Lamela because of his age and fee and Chriches who joined from a league of lower quality. That's the way it is with transfers - sometimes they work out, but more than often they don't. I think Veron, Forlan, Schevchenko, Torres (at Chelsea), Mutu and quite a few others are the prime examples of transfers that didn't work out although they should have.

You make good points; when clubs buy players they buy them in good faith. Even Alex Ferguson bought duds. And as you say, all the players we bought weren't failures and are an important part in Spurs current team.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 07:04:19 PM »
7 players straight into a new team was a bridge to far!, and shipping out the main nucleus in Modric, Bale and RVT was the nail in the coffin!, not so long before all of this under MJ we where pushing for 4th with a young Carrick in our team as the playmaker then as usual we let him go and we had a blip until Harry put us onto the path of the best Spurs team I can remember in years, he brought back the good feel factor and had us pushing for higher than fourth but then the hounds of the bigger clubs came in again and we as we always do let go our best players and we have to start all over again!
The most annoying thing about all of this is, a new manager comes in, brings in his players and were told its a work in progress and in a couple of years we will have the right team, the right balance etc etc!, but this Never happens as you only have to look as far as the amount of managers we have had in the last 10 years....9 ...12 in the last 15years!!!! how many team changes have we had since then??? Couple this with rash rush transfer buys like Saha, Booth, Fazio, Stambouli, so many changes no real thought process into the long term effect!, we have been fortunate in that we have always managed to pull up our socks and kick on but this like everything will not last forever unless we keep a winning team together! Under Pochettino we have a good crop of youngsters who I feel will come really good over the next few weeks and if managed correctly might just get us back where we should and need to be, IF & WHEN ;) we do get back there, then becomes the time to close up shop from selling our priceless assets by persuading them Spurs is the club they should be at and with a little more effort greatness can be achieved! WE MUST NOT LET THE CURRENT REVOLVING DOOR CARRY ON.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline Spursx

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 07:54:36 PM »
7 players straight into a new team was a bridge to far!, and shipping out the main nucleus in Modric, Bale and RVT was the nail in the coffin!, not so long before all of this under MJ we where pushing for 4th with a young Carrick in our team as the playmaker then as usual we let him go and we had a blip until Harry put us onto the path of the best Spurs team I can remember in years, he brought back the good feel factor and had us pushing for higher than fourth but then the hounds of the bigger clubs came in again and we as we always do let go our best players and we have to start all over again!
The most annoying thing about all of this is, a new manager comes in, brings in his players and were told its a work in progress and in a couple of years we will have the right team, the right balance etc etc!, but this Never happens as you only have to look as far as the amount of managers we have had in the last 10 years....9 ...12 in the last 15years!!!! how many team changes have we had since then??? Couple this with rash rush transfer buys like Saha, Booth, Fazio, Stambouli, so many changes no real thought process into the long term effect!, we have been fortunate in that we have always managed to pull up our socks and kick on but this like everything will not last forever unless we keep a winning team together! Under Pochettino we have a good crop of youngsters who I feel will come really good over the next few weeks and if managed correctly might just get us back where we should and need to be, IF & WHEN ;) we do get back there, then becomes the time to close up shop from selling our priceless assets by persuading them Spurs is the club they should be at and with a little more effort greatness can be achieved! WE MUST NOT LET THE CURRENT REVOLVING DOOR CARRY ON.
[/quote

I agree with what you say here about a bridge too far. You can't expect to put seven players in to a team and expect miracles. Teams need to work together and gel. They also need to be right for the manager to fit into his style of football. And don't forget that we had three changes of management. That sort of uphaval causes problems.