SpursNetwork

How many grounds have you been to?

Offline Spurs218

• Hero: Zokora
  • Season Ticket: Yes
How many grounds have you been to?
« on: June 10, 2011, 10:44:46 AM »
Slow day today so have been using this website http://www.footballgroundmap.com/ to work out how many grounds I've been to.

Up to 73 at the moment and it's intresting to see where you've been on the map. I have to say looking back at some of trips, I start to think "what the f**k was I thinking?" Hapoel Tel Aviv, Grimsby.... where we lost! and the worst by far... Krakow!
"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

RIP: Sir Bill Nicholson

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: How many grounds have you been to?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:08:49 AM »
As this site doesn't list most of the stadiums I've been to, I'll just list them here.
England:
Belle Vue/Earth Stadium (Doncaster)
Bramall Lane (Sheffield)
Hillsborough (Sheffield)
Elland Road (Leeds)
Bootham Crescent (York)
Scotland:
Celtic Park (Glasgow)
Estonia:
A. Le Coq Arena (Tallinn)
Kuressaare linnastaadion (Kuressaare)
Kadrioru staadion (Tallinn)
Tamme staadion (Tartu)
Latvia:
Skonto stadions (Riga)
Finland:
Helsingin olympiastadion (Helsinki)

Offline Spurs218

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 11:17:39 AM »
Sorry about wrong forum  :hide:

Thoughts on Elland Road? Personally thought it was a s**t.

Best and worst ground out of your list?
"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 12:13:14 PM »
I went to Elland Road in 2005 and it wasn't in good condition but I liked the atmosphere. Leeds drew 1:1 with Wolves.

The best stadium has to be Celtic Park and the worst Kuressaare stadium. Kuressaare has hosted some irrelevant international friendlies but it only fits in 2000 people.

Offline Spurs218

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 12:39:26 PM »
The trip a few years back with Spurs was horrible, night game + snow + up north  :nope:

Love Celtic park  :up: Horrible set of fans though.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 04:30:58 PM »
My list is a bit shat really  8D, none of to watch THFC as I have never as yet had the honour to watch us live!

Grounds:

Bath City
Trowbridge Town (before it was demolished)
Ashton Gate
The Memorial Ground
Yeovil Town
Swindon Town
St Marys Satdium

And to top it off the last 5 were all worked related!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Spurs218

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 05:17:13 PM »
Get down the Lane next season MA!

Offline PaulInRome

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »
Like Spurs218, I'm probably around the 70 mark. That's mainly thanks to the 1980s when along with a friend I was trying to join the 92 club (i.e. having seen games at each and every ground of the old Division 1 through Division 4). It was much easier to get in then - just turn up and pay cash at the turnstiles!

Have managed one or two matches in strange locations during work travel too, including a World Cup qualifier between Ghana and Liberia in Accra. Lovely atmosphere and amazing to see Liberian fans turning up on old battered buses which had driven a thousand miles or so to get to the match.

Offline Spurs218

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 05:52:44 PM »
s**t I didn't even include the four England world cup games last year  :-[ Very easily forgotten about though.

Up to 77  :ohyeah:

Offline PaulInRome

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 06:15:06 PM »
Ive got a couple of England games myself from 1990 (against Belgium and then Cameroon) but I tend to repress the memory because of the semi-final against Germany. At the Cameroon game they gave out vouchers to the England supporters that would have been exchangeable for a ticket at the final. I was already living in Rome so all we had to do was beat Germany and I'd have just had a half hour drive into town to watch us in a World Cup Final.

Offline Spurs218

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 06:21:03 PM »
Watching England in those games were the biggest way of money I've ever spent. Whole trip cost me about 6k which could have covered me for a whole season with Spurs.

Would love to see England at a successful competition but I've stopped caring now.

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
  • Hero: Atiba Hutchinson/Jermain Defoe/Harry Kane
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 04:42:02 AM »
To my shame, the only ground I've been to was Centennial Stadium at the University of Victoria, and that wasn't even for football.

That should change once I finish school though. I'm hoping to at least get to the White Hart Lane.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!
Proudly Canadian, Proudly A Spurs Fan

Offline WilsonJet

• Mouthy Yank
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »
Thought this thread was interesting so I decided to count up the athletic venues I've visited in the States and I can think of about 50 or so. We've got a variety of professional sports, although the largest stadiums in the country are at major universities. Even some of the high school facilities are quite large and worth mentioning. Most of the places I've been are near where I've lived (Indianapolis, Atlanta, Tampa), but Major League Baseball stadiums are relatively easy to see when traveling due to affordability of tickets based upon the sheer number of games each season. My favorites are definitely in Indianapolis - Conseco Fieldhouse for amenities and architecture, Hinkle Fieldhouse for historical significance and feel, and the old RCA Dome for the memories (we called it the Hoosier Dome). Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the Colts, is an awesome facility but you can't match the sheer volume that was generated in the old dome and the seats were right on top of the field. The upper deck at Comiskey Park in Chicago is terrifying due to the severe angle of the seats, lack of handrails, and view of Lake Michigan. The old Tampa Stadium (called the Big Sombrero due to the shape of structure) is where the Buccaneers used to play and I'm glad they knocked it down. It was embarrassing.

NFL
RCA Dome - Indianapolis Colts (old)
Lucas Oil Stadium - Indianapolis Colts (new)
Raymond James Stadium - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

MLB
Comiskey Park (new) - Chicago White Sox
Great American Ballpark - Cincinnati Reds
Busch Stadium - St. Louis Cardinals
Kaufmann Stadium - Kansas City Royals
PNC Park - Pittsburgh Pirates
Turner Field - Atlanta Braves
Tropicana Field - Tampa Bay Rays
Bush Stadium - Indianapolis Indians (old) / Milwaukee Brewers minor league affiliate
Victory Field - Indianapolis Indians
Coolray Field - Gwinnett Braves / Atlanta Braves minor league affiliate
Legends Field - New York Yankees spring training facility in Tampa

NBA / NHL (usually shared facilities)
Market Square Arena - Indiana Pacers (old)
Conseco Fieldhouse - Indiana Pacers (new) / Indiana Fever - WNBA / Indiana Firebirds (defunct arena football)
TD Waterhouse Arena - Orlando Magic
Philips Arena - Atlanta Hawks / Atlanta Thrashers
St. Pete Times Forum - Tampa Bay Lightning
Pepsi Coliseum - Indianapolis Ice (minor league hockey)
Gwinnett Arena - Gwinnett Gladiators (minor league hockey) / Georgia Force (defunct arena football)

MLS
Tampa Stadium - Tampa Bay Mutiny (defunct)

WPS
Kennesaw State University Soccer Stadium - Atlanta Beat

NCAA
Worthen Arena - Ball State University (basketball)
Scheumann Stadium - Ball State University (football)
Assembly Hall - Indiana University basketball
Mackey Arena - Purdue University basketball
Hinkle Fieldhouse - Butler University basketball
USF Sun Dome - University of South Florida basketball
University Center - Mercer University basketball
Spurlock Center - Franklin College (NAIA) basketball
Riley Park - The Citadel, military college of Charleston baseball

IHSAA Indiana high school athletic association
Over 20 different high school basketball arenas and football stadiums in Indiana which is noteworthy when considering that New Castle seats 12,500 for basketball and Warren Central - Indianapolis (my alma mater) seats around 10,000 for football.
He's strained his left adductor muscle it says. Whats that then ? Do we all have those or just footballers ? I wonder how mine are ? *courtesy of taimedowne*

Offline pukekohespur

• Hero: Greaves
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 10:27:37 AM »

Most memorable stadium I have been to was  Nya Ullevi in Gothenbeburg.
Way back in 1983 I was on my Overseas back packing jaunt from New Zealand and I woke up one morning after yet another all night train trip  in Gothenberg. Couldn't figure out what there were so many drunk Scotchmen around so early in the morning. Finally figured out it was the European Cup winners Cup final that night between Aberdeen and Real Madrid.
Even manged to get a couple of tickets, so quite out of the blue we found ourselves watching Aberdeen win 3-2 in extra time. Amazing game.
Best British ground i have been to is White hart Lane, worst Upton Park when it was only half full for a dreadful game between West Ham and Ipswich
"Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is." Danny Blanchflower

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 01:29:19 PM »

Most memorable stadium I have been to was  Nya Ullevi in Gothenbeburg.
Way back in 1983 I was on my Overseas back packing jaunt from New Zealand and I woke up one morning after yet another all night train trip  in Gothenberg. Couldn't figure out what there were so many drunk Scotchmen around so early in the morning. Finally figured out it was the European Cup winners Cup final that night between Aberdeen and Real Madrid.
Even manged to get a couple of tickets, so quite out of the blue we found ourselves watching Aberdeen win 3-2 in extra time. Amazing game.
Best British ground i have been to is White hart Lane, worst Upton Park when it was only half full for a dreadful game between West Ham and Ipswich

You made my day with that post, cant believe you was there on the greatest night. Plenty of rain in Gothenburg though? lol

I have been to 28 grounds in Scotland, best is (and it pains me to say it) Tyncastle for atmosphere. Could never say either of the Glasgow duo because their fans are .....well ill leave that there.

All of above watching Aberdeen.

4 grounds in England watching Spurs including WHL on a good few occations. Also seen them play Rangers at Iprix in a fiendly a couple of years back watching the stick they gave Keane because he is Irish, seriously is there not bigger issues in the world?

WHL, Roker Park! (one for the oldies), Old Trafford and St James Park

Dalymount Park Dublin, Olympic Stadium Berlin, Schalke ground the name i cant recall, Amsterdam Arena, Westhallen (spelling?) Dortmond, Byern Munich, Vincete Calderon (Athletico Madrid) and a few more i must have forgot.

Best of the lot is either WHL or Dortmonds ground, the noice in that stadium is mental and what i was hoping to see replicated by our original 'new' version of WHL.