SpursNetwork

Do we really need Europa League or is it a neccessay Evil?

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
  • Season Ticket: No
        I have mixed feelings about the Europa League, as I have said on a few occasions, I think that our involvement in it has quite possibly cost us Champions League on more than one occasion, my reasoning is that quite often after playing Europa League the next PL game we have either Lost or Drawn, invariably against teams that we were expected to beat. I realize that it generates necessary income to the Club, but at what cost?
        Interested to hear other peoples views on this.
      :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
:SN:[font

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
Re: Do we really need Europa League or is it a neccessay Evil?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 12:55:32 PM »
        I have mixed feelings about the Europa League, as I have said on a few occasions, I think that our involvement in it has quite possibly cost us Champions League on more than one occasion, my reasoning is that quite often after playing Europa League the next PL game we have either Lost or Drawn, invariably against teams that we were expected to beat. I realize that it generates necessary income to the Club, but at what cost?

Whilst I agree that EL does us no favours, I am inclined towards the view that our lack of quality is the main reason for missing out on CL. Since being dumped out of EL our league form has been the worst of the season, so I for one cannot accept that excuse. That said, I think the format of home/away knockout would be much better.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »
Europa League is a European competition after all. I think we are allowed to become cocky about it when we win it, even better, two or three times in a row. Yes, the domestic league must be our priority, but we are not among the best in Europa League, so we would suck even more in the Champions League.

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:58:03 PM »
        After playing EL games we lost to Liverpool (h), WBA (h), Newcastle (h), Stoke (h), Chelsea L.Cup Final and drew West Ham (h). Yes we did win a couple of games but, had we have won 3 of the 4 we lost we would be 1point clear of Manure in 4th position that is my point. Plus I think the reason we have had a form slump at the end of the season is because we have played so many games and we have had some injuries, which I guess shows that our squad isn't as strong as we thought it was. Just my opinion and as they say "If my Aunt had had Balls she would have been my Uncle".  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »
Personally, I say we do. I enjoy going to those matches and seeing different teams. And we can do well in it, and the league, if we have the right players and team.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 04:15:26 PM »
        After playing EL games we lost to Liverpool (h), WBA (h), Newcastle (h), Stoke (h), Chelsea L.Cup Final and drew West Ham (h). Yes we did win a couple of games but, had we have won 3 of the 4 we lost we would be 1point clear of Manure in 4th position that is my point. Plus I think the reason we have had a form slump at the end of the season is because we have played so many games and we have had some injuries, which I guess shows that our squad isn't as strong as we thought it was. Just my opinion and as they say "If my Aunt had had Balls she would have been my Uncle".  ;) ;) ;)

But did we lose those matches because the team wasn't good enough or was it was soon after the Europa matches? We may have lost but other teams who have had such fixtures after their Europa league matches, didn't have such problems.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Jane

• Hero: Lamela
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 07:11:01 PM »
The answer to your question is yes. Spurs were the first British winners of a European trophy and it is part of our history. If we are not in it then we can't win it.

Jane x

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »

But did we lose those matches because the team wasn't good enough or was it was soon after the Europa matches? We may have lost but other teams who have had such fixtures after their Europa league matches, didn't have such problems.

Voice,
           Every one of the games that I quoted was played on the Sunday after we had played a Europa League game this season, this is not the only season that it has happened, every season that we have played Europa League games(which are always played Thursdays) when we play PL games on  the next Sun(which is always the case, unless for some reason it is changed to the Mon), for some reason we always struggle and quite often lose them, in fact the commentators always seem to mention it!!  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 12:14:01 PM »
The answer to your question is yes. Spurs were the first British winners of a European trophy and it is part of our history. If we are not in it then we can't win it.

Jane x

Jane,
            Whilst I agree that European Football is part of our history, my point is, should we play Europa League and jeopardise finishing in the Top 4 in the PL, which in my opinion, has been the case every year that we have played Europa League. As I have said, this is only my opinion.  :nods: :nods:

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 04:10:09 PM »

Voice,
           Every one of the games that I quoted was played on the Sunday after we had played a Europa League game this season, this is not the only season that it has happened, every season that we have played Europa League games(which are always played Thursdays) when we play PL games on  the next Sun(which is always the case, unless for some reason it is changed to the Mon), for some reason we always struggle and quite often lose them, in fact the commentators always seem to mention it!!  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

What you say is true. But Chelsea and other teams managed it and won. So why are we having problems? Is it our players not being experienced enough or good enough? Wrong manager? Yes, it has affected us, but does that mean we should stop trying? I believe we can win it with the right team, right manager etc. Another point: we will probably finish 6th this season. If you consider our stadium capacity and other money we make, compared to the top 4 teams we are where we should be. When we achieved higher than that a lot had to do with luck and Spurs punching above their weight. Hopefully that will change with a new stadium.

Also; to attract top players we need European football, whether that be Champions league or Europa League football. We also need the extra revenue to help fund the building of a new stadium. So, yes you are right, but that doesn't mean next season or the season after will be the same. Remember Spurs motto. Audere est Facere ("To Dare Is to Do"). I am an optimist. We could have had the same argument before Bill Nicholson or even Arthur Rowe took over Spurs. They said Spurs could never win the league. Then they said we couldn't win the double. Then they.... you get my point. To Do is to Dare.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 04:11:23 PM »

Jane x

Jane,
            Whilst I agree that European Football is part of our history, my point is, should we play Europa League and jeopardise finishing in the Top 4 in the PL, which in my opinion, has been the case every year that we have played Europa League. As I have said, this is only my opinion.  :nods: :nods:

We didn't finish in the top 4 because we weren't good enough; with Europa football or not. But that doesn't mean we are not that far away.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Don

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 07:49:53 PM »

Howdy Mr Finch,

Sorry I haven’t been on for a long time, but you know how it is. But I have been following what has been happening at Spurs and reading what is on this forum.

I go with Mr Voice. Our history has been very much linked with European football and don’t forget that we were the first British football club to win a European trophy.

Where once our great FA cup was the bees knees people’s eyes have shifted towards European football. I am sure if you ask the average supporter he will tell you that our priorities are in Europe, not national trinkets. So I go for staying in the competition, that is until we are able to compete with the European Champions football.

When I was a lot younger our concentration was focused on domestic competition. The 1960s brought us into European football and that is where we must aim for. I know what you are thinking, that I am showing my age remember past events. :lol:

Offline Spursx

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 07:59:59 PM »

Voice,

What you say is true. But Chelsea and other teams managed it and won. So why are we having problems? Is it our players not being experienced enough or good enough? Wrong manager? Yes, it has affected us, but does that mean we should stop trying? I believe we can win it with the right team, right manager etc. Another point: we will probably finish 6th this season. If you consider our stadium capacity and other money we make, compared to the top 4 teams we are where we should be. When we achieved higher than that a lot had to do with luck and Spurs punching above their weight. Hopefully that will change with a new stadium.

Also; to attract top players we need European football, whether that be Champions league or Europa League football. We also need the extra revenue to help fund the building of a new stadium. So, yes you are right, but that doesn't mean next season or the season after will be the same. Remember Spurs motto. Audere est Facere ("To Dare Is to Do"). I am an optimist. We could have had the same argument before Bill Nicholson or even Arthur Rowe took over Spurs. They said Spurs could never win the league. Then they said we couldn't win the double. Then they.... you get my point. To Do is to Dare.

I will go along with that voice. Mr Levy and the fans want and need European football, for the revenue and to appease the fans. And as you rightly point out if we are to attract the best we need European football. And don’t forget that if we were lucky enough to win the trophy then the following season would mean Eureopan elite football, no matter where we finish in the league. And talking from a personal position, and as a season ticket holder, I enjoy going to watch Spurs European exploits. We were the first, as Don points out, and that is where we belong. European football for me, not matter what competition it is.

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 09:27:05 AM »

Howdy Mr Finch,

Sorry I haven’t been on for a long time, but you know how it is. But I have been following what has been happening at Spurs and reading what is on this forum.

I go with Mr Voice. Our history has been very much linked with European football and don’t forget that we were the first British football club to win a European trophy.

Where once our great FA cup was the bees knees people’s eyes have shifted towards European football. I am sure if you ask the average supporter he will tell you that our priorities are in Europe, not national trinkets. So I go for staying in the competition, that is until we are able to compete with the European Champions football.

When I was a lot younger our concentration was focused on domestic competition. The 1960s brought us into European football and that is where we must aim for. I know what you are thinking, that I am showing my age remember past events. :lol:

Don,
           I think I am the same age as you, and I realize that most Clubs focus has changed and European Football has become more important than Domestic Cups. You, Voice and Jane are quite right, we do have a rich history competing and winning in Europe and deep down I guess I agree that we should be playing Europa League, but I can't help thinking that it is a double edged sword. Just my opinion. It is good that it has sparked some spirited  debate amongst everyone, which is why I introduced it!  :up: :up: :up:

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 09:35:56 AM »

Jane x

Jane,

We didn't finish in the top 4 because we weren't good enough; with Europa football or not. But that doesn't mean we are not that far away.

My point is Voice that maybe, just maybe had we not have played EL this season that it is quite conceivable that we would be sitting in fourth spot 1 point clear of Manure, but having said that, "hindsight is a wonderful thing".   ;) ;)