SpursNetwork

FA Cup: Spurs V Leicester City

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
FA Cup: Spurs V Leicester City
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:59:54 PM »
I've just come back from the match; and what can I say? A very disappointing game and now we are out of the cup.

However, our bad defeat sinks behind Chelsea losing to Bradford 4-2 (after Chelsea went 2 up, and this is at Stamford Bridge) and City losing to Middleborough. So our shame can be hidden behind those two teams shock results. At least we were beaten by a Premier League team, even though that team was at the bottom.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
Re: FA Cup: Spurs V Leicester City
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 06:16:00 AM »
We rested too many key players,it looked like we didn't want it and was already look to the game on Wednesday.

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 04:32:58 PM »
We rested too many key players,it looked like we didn't want it and was already look to the game on Wednesday.

Exactly. They may have thought that they can't win all the games or all the Cups so let us go for what is realistic. What is important is the league and maybe a cup as well.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:55:35 AM »
This is probably a good thing :up: , we must put all our attention to the 2 nd leg of the league cup as we are only one game away from the final!, another replay would have just added more pressure on the team in the final third of the season!, Saturdays game was a real cup tie with both teams having good chances to win, what we must not do now is go into Wednesday game so negative as last weeks game as everybody is expecting United to come out flying but I actually think they will play the exact opposite and just try to stay in the game for as long as they can and nick a goal if they can!, if we start slow we will find it very hard to step up a gear so this time we should try and kill the game by HT, if we score and take the lead then the away goal will surely have a big effect on thier confidence knowing they would have to score 3.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 10:54:16 AM »
This is probably a good thing :up: , we must put all our attention to the 2 nd leg of the league cup as we are only one game away from the final!, another replay would have just added more pressure on the team in the final third of the season!, Saturdays game was a real cup tie with both teams having good chances to win, what we must not do now is go into Wednesday game so negative as last weeks game as everybody is expecting United to come out flying but I actually think they will play the exact opposite and just try to stay in the game for as long as they can and nick a goal if they can!, if we start slow we will find it very hard to step up a gear so this time we should try and kill the game by HT, if we score and take the lead then the away goal will surely have a big effect on thier confidence knowing they would have to score 3.
To my knowledge there is no away-goal-rule in English cups and play-offs.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
Losing is never a good thing and I don't believe in the "now let's concentrate on the 2nd leg of the CC" or "Europa".  The boys were not keen enough to put in a good shift and Leicester wanted it more than us.

Luckily, we are still in the above mentioned Cups, but with this mentality we could be down to Zero quicker than you can say "Adebayor out" and fighting tooth and nail for a poor chance of 4th or even 5th place will be all that is left!

:tickedoff:

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 12:39:22 PM »
Yet another reality check, and demonstrates perfectly that our 2nd string 11 are not up to scratch, which re-enforces the need for players in this window, or we may well end up with Europa League next year as our only achievement

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:13:46 PM »
Yet another reality check, and demonstrates perfectly that our 2nd string 11 are not up to scratch, which re-enforces the need for players in this window, or we may well end up with Europa League next year as our only achievement

Is it a reality check? There was nine changes. That means virtually a different team, so where does the reality check come in? And we only lost because of a goal keeper error. When we analyse Spurs defeat or victory, and then compare it with the opposite result we must first decide what team are we discussing them with (that is Spurs A team or B team). If there is any criticism then it is that Pochettino made too many changes.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 06:13:48 PM »

Is it a reality check? There was nine changes. That means virtually a different team, so where does the reality check come in? And we only lost because of a goal keeper error. When we analyse Spurs defeat or victory, and then compare it with the opposite result we must first decide what team are we discussing them with (that is Spurs A team or B team). If there is any criticism then it is that Pochettino made too many changes.
It was a reality check for Pochettino for sure. He picked a team he believed had a good chance of winning, yet we lost. Whether it was because of 'keeper or not, doesn't really matter.

Offline Jane

• Hero: Lamela
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 07:20:54 PM »

It was a reality check for Pochettino for sure. He picked a team he believed had a good chance of winning, yet we lost. Whether it was because of 'keeper or not, doesn't really matter.

Hi Riffhard,

I do not agree with your synopsis of the match or our manager. I agree more with Voice. Spurs lost, not because of a mistake from the manager or his picking off a team, but goalkeeping error. Unlike Chelsea and City who were overrun by lower league teams and better on the night, Spurs were beaten by a mistake of their own making. Nobody could have forecast that. So it does matter when analysing the after match results.

Jane x

Offline Don

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 07:40:34 PM »
Howdy folks again,

I see we have a matter of differences here. I remember, just, the 1951 league title run. In that season we were knocked out of the FA Cup, but went on to win the league. I think what is important this season is giving the manager a chance and a high league placing. We also must remember that we are in the league Cup semi-final, and a goal up to boot! We must all agree that it was too much to expect Spurs to go all the way to the final of the FA Cup and sustain our Europa league momentum. Let us put this down to a goal keeping error and thank god for that, and that we won’t be clogged down with a fixture pile up.

Riffhard, you might be right, but what puts your theory into doubt is the goalkeeping error, that is why I probably side with the lady’s comments.

I do feel the bounce in the air and hopefully the old magic remedy is wafting down upon us.
Keep putting up differences of opinion as it is this that makes this forum so enjoyable. An old codger like me needs brain cell stimulation, and a few smiles on the way. Agree or disagree, whatever, but let us get behind the team. I am starting to get that tingle in the bones I once used to get when watching Spurs all those years ago. I just hope my words won’t come back and haunt me and make my comments a laughing stock on here. If so, then just put it down to an old codger in his twilight years twilighting.  Until next time!

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 11:11:32 PM »

I do not agree with your synopsis of the match or our manager. I agree more with Voice. Spurs lost, not because of a mistake from the manager or his picking off a team, but goalkeeping error. Unlike Chelsea and City who were overrun by lower league teams and better on the night, Spurs were beaten by a mistake of their own making. Nobody could have forecast that. So it does matter when analysing the after match results.

Jane x

We should have been at lease 2  up well before the 92nd minute. Erikson cannot be expected to score the winner in the dying minutes in every game.  fcs!

Complacency in our defense and our failure to score a 2nd goal are the reasons why we lost. We cannot use Vorm's error as an excuse. He had a good game and made several class saves.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 07:59:44 AM »

Hi Riffhard,

Jane x

I don't believe that Vorm can be blamed for 1 mistake, when he had an otherwise solid game. Where were the defence for the first goal ? and why have we yet again been unable to score in open play ? Our goals for/against in the prem is by far the worst of any top 6 side. That's the reality check I am talking about. Whatever 11 we put out, it will have a number of multi-million pound players included, with more on the bench. We seriously should be smashing teams like Leicester, and the other half dozen or so we have struggled against.
Chelsea and Man City have bigger fish to fry. Do we ?

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 01:03:33 PM »
To my knowledge there is no away-goal-rule in English cups and play-offs.

Unless things have changed there has always been an away goal rule in a 2 leg semi! but it only comes into play after extra time bud :up:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 01:09:12 PM by Blackjack »
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 04:01:32 PM »

Hi Riffhard,

Jane x

I don't believe that Vorm can be blamed for 1 mistake, when he had an otherwise solid game. Where were the defence for the first goal ? and why have we yet again been unable to score in open play ? Our goals for/against in the prem is by far the worst of any top 6 side. That's the reality check I am talking about. Whatever 11 we put out, it will have a number of multi-million pound players included, with more on the bench. We seriously should be smashing teams like Leicester, and the other half dozen or so we have struggled against.
Chelsea and Man City have bigger fish to fry. Do we ?

The FA Cup and other cup matches have a history of big clubs being beaten by smaller clubs. Putting it into prospective then our defeat against Leicester is not big surprise. We still have important fish to fry, like a top four place, Europa and the League Cup.  All this in Pochettino's first season. I don't think that is something to be sneezed at.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do