SpursNetwork

Adebayor 'apparently' takes a swipe at the fans

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
  • Season Ticket: No
Adebayor 'apparently' takes a swipe at the fans
« on: November 11, 2014, 12:16:20 AM »
Adebayor has said that the fans at WHL have contributed to the demise of our team. We are playing with fear and the fans are acting as a 12th man for the opposition. He also speaks about how fans only focus on the number of goals scored, labeling them as lazy if they are not scoring, rather than their actual work rate and contribution to the team play. Actually on here I think some fans could see his work rate and was criticising the build up play and the lack of support for him.

I started reading his comments thinking he was signing his own death warrant. To turn on the fans now was not a great move. It was also shifting the blame rather than taking responsibility. But when you read on to other comments he would seem that there is more truth in what he says than shifting the blame. He points out that we have had 3 or 4 managers in 2 or 3 years, we have to stop it being about the manager. Something we have all been saying. He goes on to point out how MP is a good manager and if the players were able to implement his philosophy we would win the Champions league (high praise) but states that the players are not getting the message. But why, are they stupid? Is it the language barrier? Or they simply don't have the level of skill required to match MPs ideas?

Maybe the fans should be more supportive and I am sure that if we were the players would feel more confident and it may contribute towards getting some better results. But the idea that this is our biggest problem is missing the point. To be fair to Ade, I think he knows that too, you have to read between the lines of what he is saying to find the truth. He is being very diplomatic, but his concerns are very clear if you choose to look.

"It's hard for the players. It's not their fault and it's not the fans' fault either because the fans want to see a result"
 "I could see that nobody wanted the ball."
"But come on, this the third or fourth manager in two or three years so we just have to stop it now being about the manager."
"If every player could do what the manager wants then we would win the Champions League but at the moment we are not getting the message"

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:45:47 AM by dimexi »
Maybe next year...

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
Re: Adebayor takes a swipe at the fans
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 05:43:46 AM »
He doesn't really take a swipe. I see him stating that the players are uncapable of following the manager's orders.

Offline dimexi

Re: Adebayor takes a swipe at the fans
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 07:45:06 AM »
Well that was the way it was portrayed in the media, but that wasn't how I saw it either. I will rename it..  ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:46:48 AM by dimexi »
Maybe next year...

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
Re: Adebayor 'apparently' takes a swipe at the fans
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:03:40 AM »
Quite frankly, Ade knows nothing of the history of our once great club. Many of our supporters, myself included, were raised watching the great sides of the 60's 70's 80's and even early 90's.  Even then, the crowd would get on the players backs if they were not pulling their weight.
What Ade does not seem to realise is that we no longer have a spine at the club, players who we can rely on to almost die for the cause. To have to watch the absolute rubbish being served up this year, not just at home games, but at virtually every single game, is it any wonder we boo ?? What else can supporters do, apart from boycott the home games. Three managers have tried their best with this squad, and look what has happened. Something needs to be done about the sad demise yet again of our club. Getting rid of players like Adebayor would not be a bad place to start.Would Billy Nick have put up with him ? I very much doubt it.

Offline Yiddite

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 10:11:54 AM »

Came across this article and though, as a lifetime Spurs supporter, didn't initially accept it other than a piece of journalism. I do now see some alarming truth in some of the points  raised.

I seriously hope players don't come to WHL for "an easy ride" ,but particularly over the last few games IMO there are several players  who don't seem truly committed. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2829637/Emmanuel-Adebayor-s-blast-fans-laughable-Tottenham-Hotspur-s-problem-culture-underachieving.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Offline RSS61

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 02:12:59 PM »

Came across this article and though, as a lifetime Spurs supporter, didn't initially accept it other than a piece of journalism. I do now see some alarming truth in some of the points  raised.

I seriously hope players don't come to WHL for "an easy ride" ,but particularly over the last few games IMO there are several players  who don't seem truly committed. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2829637/Emmanuel-Adebayor-s-blast-fans-laughable-Tottenham-Hotspur-s-problem-culture-underachieving.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

A very good article, and supports my comments above

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 04:31:24 PM »
If he wants to team to back the players then maybe the team should do what they are supposed to do; start winning and doing what they are paid to do. Supporters pay their hard earned money to watch Spurs and all they've got in return is crap.

Ade; stop moaning and start scoring goals and then watch the supporters back you.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline dimexi

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »
But the thing is, even though the headline focuses on the comment on the fans. Which does have a degree of truth (we all know that the fans support makes a difference to performance either for our own team or against the opposition) I don't think that was really the point he was making. I think the main message was that there were players at the club who were unable to play to the level MP is demanding, the changing manager every year policy has not worked, and the need for some players who want the ball and are leaders on the pitch.
Maybe next year...

Offline RSS61

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 12:34:02 PM »
But the thing is, even though the headline focuses on the comment on the fans. Which does have a degree of truth (we all know that the fans support makes a difference to performance either for our own team or against the opposition) I don't think that was really the point he was making. I think the main message was that there were players at the club who were unable to play to the level MP is demanding, the changing manager every year policy has not worked, and the need for some players who want the ball and are leaders on the pitch.

Personally I don't think the manager who can do anything with our lot exists, which is why they end up at Spurs anyway, as nobody else wants to pay the silly money for them that we do.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 04:05:03 PM »
I have just read that where AVB and Sherwood didn't get on with Levy, Pochettino does. I've also read that when January comes 6 first team players will be out of the door, and whether that is true or not, I can't argue with that.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 07:04:57 PM »
I have just read that where AVB and Sherwood didn't get on with Levy, Pochettino does. I've also read that when January comes 6 first team players will be out of the door, and whether that is true or not, I can't argue with that.
Where did you read that?

Offline dimexi

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 09:38:48 AM »

Where did you read about the AVB / Sherwood thing and what was it that they disagreed on?

The 6 players going is probably a given, but which 6 will be interesting
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 04:11:06 PM »

Where did you read about the AVB / Sherwood thing and what was it that they disagreed on?

To be honest I don’t know where I read it. I read a lot of apps, paper headlines etc on Spurs, and of course there are a lot of Spurs sites. I read it a few days ago. I did try to check back but there are so many sites, apps, papers it could be any one of them. If I come across it again I shall put a link up.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »

To be honest I don’t know where I read it. I read a lot of apps, paper headlines etc on Spurs, and of course there are a lot of Spurs sites. I read it a few days ago. I did try to check back but there are so many sites, apps, papers it could be any one of them. If I come across it again I shall put a link up.
I once read Lionel Messi would be joining us. I also had a dream I had €10 000 000 on my bank account.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 04:18:34 PM »

I once read Lionel Messi would be joining us. I also had a dream I had €10 000 000 on my bank account.

That maybe the case, however, it doesn't change the fact that I read it; whether true or not. :up:
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do