SpursNetwork

It could be worse...

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
  • Season Ticket: No
It could be worse...
« on: April 21, 2014, 04:36:36 AM »
It could be worse, a whole lot worse. We could be Manchester United and have David Moyes as our manager. It is strange that if our last remaining games go to plan we can still equal our highest premiership points total. And this we will all consider as a disaster of a year and will be one we want to write off.

We are disillusioned with the direction of the club, the decisions that have been made and Levy. But are we right to be so damning, could this end up as being the start of something new and exciting? With the addition of one or two key signings, our 'average' squad could suddenly rediscover their form. Imagine Soldado as the 20+ goals a season striker, Lamela showing he is worth every penny of the 30 million,  Eriksen developing to new heights and becoming our next Bale (who we will then cash in on at some later point >:(). With no European football to interfere with our progress, we could potentially challenge the top 4 and obtain more than the 72 points total.

I know it seems such a pipe dream and I am not sure I believe we are capable of it myself, but the funny thing is there is a chance, a real chance of this becoming real. The skeptics will once again be silenced and we can go back to enjoying being a Spurs supporter once again. It may seem like a long way off, but with some careful and decisive decision making, it could be here sooner than we could have ever imagined.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 04:39:03 AM by dimexi »
Maybe next year...

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
Re: It could be worse...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:50:41 AM »
It could defo be a lot worse and Sherwood has managed the team better than I thought he would. We have a reasonably easy last 3 games left and we  should pick up 7 points to total 71.  I was hoping for CL, but the demise of AVB killed that IMO.

I would like to believe that there is a lot going on behind the scenes to rectify the present player situation. As you mention, we have to hope that the better players bought last summer wake up in time and show why they were chosen in the first place and with the addition of a couple more, who knows? Being a Spurs supporter is a forever ending situation of hopes! next year, next year!!

Thanks to Lloris or we would be 9th or 10th!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:56:48 AM by spursjoolz »

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:26:03 PM »
The closed season is going to be very interesting and whether it fills us with hope very much depends on the decisions made by those who have the power.

I am certain Tim will be gone but to be fair he has actually done much better than I thought he would! I feel he has learnt a lot this season and I stand by what I have said all along and that is a few seasons he will be a top manager as he has the burning personal desire just not the experience yet.

The fact that we are on course to equal our EPL best points wise and still likely to finish 6th tells us all how much the divide is widening in order to make top 4.

I am with Dimexi and feel that without Euro football and a couple key signings mainly in defense we could push the top 4 next season.
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
The difference is utd have a good board of directors who have always backed their manager .Levy backs one person....daniel levy .I have said it so many times it is beginning to hurt but just for old time sake ....

We won`t be successful with daniel levy in charge.
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 12:00:05 AM »
The table doesn't lie, and yes it is possible we could finish with a very good points total, its hard to believe with this topsy tersy season we  have actually done quite well!, Levy wants us to qualify for the CL, but all we can do is substain where we are and get better!, last season we broke'our points tally record and it was not good enough to finish in the top 4 and here wr are again and the qualifying line has gone up again!,  in fairness we have actually achieved a lot without really having anything to show for it!. Maybe with a new stadium and a working back 4 we may just make it, the main problem we have is the difference in quality of player we buy!,  we can I'll afford to get it wrong again as we will go the other way,  we must get a quality defence sorted and some more world class midfielders, anothet playmaker to work with erriksen, and a proper replacement for Bale!, Lennon is not good enough or consistent enough!,  we need to find a Robern, or Sterling, someone with real pace to frighten the life out of defenders!, no more maybes or has  beens but the real  deal , we have always had a player like that to lift the team and fans, Ginlola could do it, Bale could do it, Hoddle, we always had hope, belief, exspectation that we can do great things!, we must get that back.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »
The table doesn't lie, and yes it is possible we could finish with a very good points total, its hard to believe with this topsy tersy season we  have actually done quite well!, Levy wants us to qualify for the CL, but all we can do is substain where we are and get better!, last season we broke'our points tally record and it was not good enough to finish in the top 4 and here wr are again and the qualifying line has gone up again!,  in fairness we have actually achieved a lot without really having anything to show for it!. Maybe with a new stadium and a working back 4 we may just make it, the main problem we have is the difference in quality of player we buy!,  we can I'll afford to get it wrong again as we will go the other way,  we must get a quality defence sorted and some more world class midfielders, anothet playmaker to work with erriksen, and a proper replacement for Bale!, Lennon is not good enough or consistent enough!,  we need to find a Robern, or Sterling, someone with real pace to frighten the life out of defenders!, no more maybes or has  beens but the real  deal , we have always had a player like that to lift the team and fans, Ginlola could do it, Bale could do it, Hoddle, we always had hope, belief, exspectation that we can do great things!, we must get that back.

In short. we need a whole new team!

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:02:28 AM »

In short. we need a whole new team!

If we want quick success, then yes, we more or less need a whole new team. However, our mistakes of last year show that bringing in 7 new players is dangerous, as Wenger pointed out at the time.

For me, we need to keep a nucleus of predominantly prem ready players, ie Lloris Walker JVT Kaboul Townsend Livermore Holtby Eriksen Paulinho Sandro, Kane, and thats about it. We absolutely must get another LB, CB depending on who stays, right winger, and 2 strikers.

From that platform we must continue to build, and if the "jury still out" players, ie Walker, Kaboul, Livermore, Holtby, Paulinho, etc fail to shine then 12 months down the line they too must be replaced.

As far as I can see, its the only way to breed continuity. That together with managerial stability.

Offline Blackjack

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »
I never said we need a new team I said we need to buy REAL QUALITY when we do spend!, and sort out our back four
SPURS TILL I DIE

Offline dimexi

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 06:45:19 AM »
There are many areas of the team which would benefit from having more quality. The problem is not to try and change too much too quickly and identifying the areas which, if improved sufficiently, will bring the whole quality of the side to its greatest level of improvement.

We all recognise that the areas we could seriously do with improvement is  a left back, a CB, right and left wingers, a playmaking midfielder, a ball winning midfielder and a striker. But this is too much.

Of these a LB and CB is probably top of the definite list. Followed by the replacement for Bale, which I believe may be better to look for as a right sided attacking winger, there are more players who could fit the bill in this position. We can probably cover the left well enough for now.

Which leaves for me one other player to buy, so that we do not change too much, too quickly. For me this has to be a striker, as we simply do not have the depth in our squad and both Soldado and Ade would play better with a partner.

Maybe next year...

Offline Blackjack

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 10:04:42 PM »
We need a  captain before all of the rest! Leadership on the pitch first, get the team organised , then tweak.
SPURS TILL I DIE

Offline scotspurs

• C.O.Y.S
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »

[/quote]

From that platform we must continue to build, and if the "jury still out" players, ie Walker, Kaboul, Livermore, Holtby, Paulinho, etc fail to shine then 12 months down the line they too must be replaced.

[/quote]

Sorry RSS61 but I have to disagree with regards to Holtby and Paulinho.
Holtby hasn't been given a fair chance since he arrived - firstly AVB only used him as a sub,then Sherwood packed him off to Fulham. Holtby was wanted by alot of top clubs when we signed him, so we gave him the usual ''we'll be in the top 4 in the next year join us, join us'' line we gave to Eriksen, Paulinho, Lloris, Soldado etc only to fail dismally. Same with Paulinho - excellent player not played enough - promised Champions League football but promises not fulfilled.
Eriksen, Lloris, Paulinho and Lamela will ALL be OFF in July if they have any sense, because as I see it we are no longer a 'potential top four club'. We are somewhere near the top of the 'best of the rest' pile but Liverpool and Everton have overtaken us and next year we will be lucky to finish 6th.
Same old Spurs - talk the talk, but trip over our own feet.

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 04:03:29 PM »

[/quote]

Sorry RSS61 but I have to disagree with regards to Holtby and Paulinho.
Holtby hasn't been given a fair chance since he arrived - firstly AVB only used him as a sub,then Sherwood packed him off to Fulham. Holtby was wanted by alot of top clubs when we signed him, so we gave him the usual ''we'll be in the top 4 in the next year join us, join us'' line we gave to Eriksen, Paulinho, Lloris, Soldado etc only to fail dismally. Same with Paulinho - excellent player not played enough - promised Champions League football but promises not fulfilled.
Eriksen, Lloris, Paulinho and Lamela will ALL be OFF in July if they have any sense, because as I see it we are no longer a 'potential top four club'. We are somewhere near the top of the 'best of the rest' pile but Liverpool and Everton have overtaken us and next year we will be lucky to finish 6th.
Same old Spurs - talk the talk, but trip over our own feet.
[/quote]

What ever your or my opinions on the players, its the players overall who have failed us this year. Including those mentioned above. We will see which, if any top 4 teams come in for any of them. I suspect Lloris & JVT will be the only two.

Offline Blackjack

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 07:25:31 PM »
Don't forget Erricksen I'm sure he will be on teams radar
SPURS TILL I DIE

Offline dimexi

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 04:49:57 AM »
"I don't think there is pressure on ourselves, only what we have from within. Look at Tottenham - [when] you spend over £100m you'd expect to be challenging for the league."

Just read this quote from Brendon Rogers. Think this sums us up nicely.
Maybe next year...

Offline Blackjack

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 10:16:30 PM »
Selling a world beater and ripping a good team apart with 110m was great buisness for us... NOT!, look at us today again!!! yeah we won but when Stoke went to ten men we where a shambles! even Erriksen was poor!!!,  And Scotspur your right we do not look a challenger anymore! once again we see a team all over the place again! we could not keep the ball against 10 and when one player starts making a mistake they all seem to join in! this is where a propper leader is a must and offcourse getting the team to just pass and move ... pass and move! we should have had Stoke chasing shadows today!, how anyone can think we are still ok is well beside me!.
SPURS TILL I DIE